Is it worth it though?

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
I currently own and operate a landscaping company. I realized I can't do this kind of thing forever and want to try my hand at ups. I start my unloading position on Wednesday. I'm mostly doing this because of benefits and 401k (I'm 28, not married but a baby on the way, currently pay my own benefits and its not cheap), but A switch in careers is not something I am against. I want to know if moving up in this company within say 3-5 years realistic nowadays? I'd hate to be almost 40 still waiting to move up. I have no doubt that I am going to b a great employee and well respected. Thanks for any help

rod

Retired 22 years
You may think you will be a great employee and be well respected but that's not how UPS operates. No one is ever good enough and you will definitely get no respect. Its a though job ------BUT doable if you maintain the right attitude. Once they have crapped on you one too many times and you realize its all a game you will be ok. As far as how fast you will move up the totem pole all depends on where you are (and who you know).

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
How about option C, develop your business to the point where you hire people to do the labor while you manage. If you think you can do well at UPS managing, use that ability to make yourself better, not UPS. Use the part time experience and benefits to decide on how to move forward by observing how UPS treats people, it will be eye opening and maybe a learning experience you can apply to your business.

Good Luck

ITwannabe

In my opinion UPS is no longer a viable career for 20+ years. This company cares about making money. In the next few years there will be an introduction of GPS in the trucks. This will reclassify the driver job as non skilled. This we result in a much lower top rate. From what I hear it's going to be around 15-20. And probably a drop in benefit coverage or you will ha e to pay for your own. UPS wants drivers for 10 years...Takes people 4 years to hit top rate and then work another six...this will save them tons of money in pensions. Also with the way tech is growing I bet they won't even have drivers within 10 years maybe less....people who don't believe this are ignorant. So get in as a driver save your money buy a house and get the Hell out. Or pay your way through college and then move up or get out.

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
Thanks for the replies everyone. It's worth a shot, especially because I know I won't have to find work over the winter besides plowing snow.

nystripe96

I'm with the company 5 years. Been driving for 3 years. I say go for it!! As long as you follow everything by the book I don't see why a 20+ year career can't be achieved. The idea that there won't be driving positions 10 years from now is ludacris. Until robots can deliver AC'S to a 5th floor walk up, or teleportation devices are invented there will be a need for UPS drivers

ITwannabe

I'm with the company 5 years. Been driving for 3 years. I say go for it!! As long as you follow everything by the book I don't see why a 20+ year career can't be achieved. The idea that there won't be driving positions 10 years from now is ludacris. Until robots can deliver AC'S to a 5th floor walk up, or teleportation devices are invented there will be a need for UPS drivers
It's called access points....it's called Google delivery truck...it's called drones...just so you know not only Amazon is looking into drones. UPS has their own team of engineers as well. If we can put men on the moon...we can put a package on someone's front step. Tesla and Benz both have cars on the market that are self driving....UPS will hire permanent jumpers until they have a way to deliver the box.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
How about option C, develop your business to the point where you hire people to do the labor while you manage. If you think you can do well at UPS managing, use that ability to make yourself better, not UPS. Use the part time experience and benefits to decide on how to move forward by observing how UPS treats people, it will be eye opening and maybe a learning experience you can apply to your business.

Good Luck

Exactly what he said. I know a landscaper. He doesn't work in the winter. So grow grow business . Use ups for benefits only

MendozaJ

It's called access points....it's called Google delivery truck...it's called drones...just so you know not only Amazon is looking into drones. UPS has their own team of engineers as well. If we can put men on the moon...we can put a package on someone's front step. Tesla and Benz both have cars on the market that are self driving....UPS will hire permanent jumpers until they have a way to deliver the box.

One drone will never match the pph of a human with a truck. Tough luck if you live in an apartment, near an airport, work in a building, work in a mall, order in bulk, order something over 10 lbs...

ITwannabe

Electric cars were also supposedly going to be the norm come the 21st century. Last I heard cars still run on gas
Computer systems and electric cars are two completely different issues when it comes to feasibility.....electric cars are limited by the laws of physics....driverless cars and drones are limited by the imagination and ingenuity of engineers...in other words....if you throw lots of money at drones and driverless cars it will become a reality....we've only had computers for roughly 25-30 years....everything we have today people 30 years ago thought was impossible.

ITwannabe

Ever hear of a little company called Uber? Well they are currently in the process of releasing their driverless taxi fleet....so like I said UOS will gladly pay people 8 bucks an hour to be a full time jumper while a computer drives the truck.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
In my opinion UPS is no longer a viable career for 20+ years. This company cares about making money. In the next few years there will be an introduction of GPS in the trucks. This will reclassify the driver job as non skilled. This we result in a much lower top rate. From what I hear it's going to be around 15-20. And probably a drop in benefit coverage or you will ha e to pay for your own. UPS wants drivers for 10 years...Takes people 4 years to hit top rate and then work another six...this will save them tons of money in pensions. Also with the way tech is growing I bet they won't even have drivers within 10 years maybe less....people who don't believe this are ignorant. So get in as a driver save your money buy a house and get the Hell out. Or pay your way through college and then move up or get out.

Computer systems and electric cars are two completely different issues when it comes to feasibility.....electric cars are limited by the laws of physics....driverless cars and drones are limited by the imagination and ingenuity of engineers...in other words....if you throw lots of money at drones and driverless cars it will become a reality....we've only had computers for roughly 25-30 years....everything we have today people 30 years ago thought was impossible.

Ever hear of a little company called Uber? Well they are currently in the process of releasing their driverless taxi fleet....so like I said UOS will gladly pay people 8 bucks an hour to be a full time jumper while a computer drives the truck.

It's amazing that you have no idea what you're talking about and yet you post more.

There's so much wrong statements in here that it's comical.