Is it worth it though?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I currently own and operate a landscaping company. I realized I can't do this kind of thing forever and want to try my hand at ups. I start my unloading position on Wednesday. I'm mostly doing this because of benefits and 401k (I'm 28, not married but a baby on the way, currently pay my own benefits and its not cheap), but A switch in careers is not something I am against. I want to know if moving up in this company within say 3-5 years realistic nowadays? I'd hate to be almost 40 still waiting to move up. I have no doubt that I am going to b a great employee and well respected. Thanks for any help
i did not start at UPS until I was 37. now retired from UPS and loving the pension and loving life. the hard work , headaches ( which is the same anywhere ) was well worth it.

the pay and bennies are almost unmatched for someone without or with a college degree. Even though at times I wondered what the heck I was doing here , especially through the harder times like the strike , the transfers , change of operations, and the changing of management that usually caused new headaches, I would positively say it was worth it in the end.

if i am blessed with continued good health I may live another 25-30 years doing whatever the hell i want.:-)

ITwannabe

It's amazing that you have no idea what you're talking about and yet you post more.

There's so much wrong statements in here that it's comical.
You're telling me the biggest companies in the world full of the brightest minds are wasting billions of dollars developing systems that will never work? U should turn in your resume and save them some money. I'm sure your GED and knowledge of parcel deliveries will look good.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You're telling me the biggest companies in the world full of the brightest minds are wasting billions of dollars developing systems that will never work? U should turn in your resume and save them some money. I'm sure your GED and knowledge of parcel deliveries will look good.

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
Another reason to give this a shot is because the hours are perfect. 4-9am that gives me plenty of time To do my landscaping. All things are looking solid

Future

Victory Ride
Ok ....read it..... Depends where u r.....I have been at UPS a long while ....watched people get hired ...back in the day in a few months .... Also have watched spend years .... I don't think there is a easy way to get full time within the company anymore ...

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
Ok ....read it..... Depends where u r.....I have been at UPS a long while ....watched people get hired ...back in the day in a few months .... Also have watched spend years .... I don't think there is a easy way to get full time within the company anymore ...

I am in Massachusetts

Johney

Ever hear of a little company called Uber? Well they are currently in the process of releasing their driverless taxi fleet....so like I said UOS will gladly pay people 8 bucks an hour to be a full time jumper while a computer drives the truck.
Yea and at $8 bucks an hour they'll be stealing more than they deliver. It's been a while since I used a helper, but I do remember a warning to watch if your helper was texting too much while with you, something about texting address's to friends to come steal packages? Imagine the free for all if no one was watching?

ITwannabe

Yea and at $8 bucks an hour they'll be stealing more than they deliver. It's been a while since I used a helper, but I do remember a warning to watch if your helper was texting too much while with you, something about texting address's to friends to come steal packages? Imagine the free for all if no one was watching?
There is a little device called a camera...you should check it out. Plus if they are only paying 8 bucks an hour I'm sure they can afford some more shipper release packages.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The answer is, it may be worth it. One option might be to work PT through the year, and seasonal during peak/Christmas. I know a few PT/ temp drivers that do exactly this, make a decent $1200-2000/week checks for 6-8 weeks.

I worked with a FT employee who had/has a landscaping business and he often hires illegals. This was in Massachusetts. ;)