Is it worth it though?

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
The answer is, it may be worth it. One option might be to work PT through the year, and seasonal during peak/Christmas. I know a few PT/ temp drivers that do exactly this, make a decent $1200-2000/week checks for 6-8 weeks.

I worked with a FT employee who had/has a landscaping business and he often hires illegals. This was in Massachusetts. ;)

Good to know thanks! Any chance the town in mass begins with an S?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
You're telling me the biggest companies in the world full of the brightest minds are wasting billions of dollars developing systems that will never work? U should turn in your resume and save them some money. I'm sure your GED and knowledge of parcel deliveries will look good.
oh you're special aren't you?

I want to see your super drone technology deliver that 115lb Amazon package I had today. All 4 of them.

I'll wait.....

You must have never driven more than 2 minutes for ups.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
i did not start at UPS until I was 37. now retired from UPS and loving the pension and loving life. the hard work , headaches ( which is the same anywhere ) was well worth it.

the pay and bennies are almost unmatched for someone without or with a college degree. Even though at times I wondered what the heck I was doing here , especially through the harder times like the strike , the transfers , change of operations, and the changing of management that usually caused new headaches, I would positively say it was worth it in the end.

if i am blessed with continued good health I may live another 25-30 years doing whatever the hell i want.:-)
so you put in 35 years in at ups and you're 72???

Listen, give it up. Every post you make shows you didn't work here

ITwannabe

oh you're special aren't you?

I want to see your super drone technology deliver that 115lb Amazon package I had today. All 4 of them.

I'll wait.....

You must have never driven more than 2 minutes for ups.
It won't be a drone....it will be you sitting in the jump seat for 8 bucks an hour while a computer drives you around.

ITwannabe

oh okay crazy. You really are stupid.

What do you do for ups again? Please enlighten us Mr technology?
I dint know who is more ignorant. You or Hillary Clinton. Don't be a sheep. Ask yourself why would a company pay people 36-50 an hour and benefits when they could pay them a lot less and have less liability? They technology is already out there. Lol don't be a sheep

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I dint know who is more ignorant. You or Hillary Clinton. Don't be a sheep. Ask yourself why would a company pay people 36-50 an hour and benefits when they could pay them a lot less and have less liability? They technology is already out there. Lol don't be a sheep

I believe you said you live in the Northeast.

Please tell us how those self-driving vehicles are going to navigate gravel roads and two lane blacktop roads without lane markings.

ITwannabe

Solid waste of money.

Lets pay a guy to sit there from stop to stop and pay for expensive computers in our massive fleet to drive.
Mercedes self driving system only cost them 10k per car. If u add that plus a low yearly wage it will probably pay for itself in a year compared to the 85k a year a full time driver costs them plus benefits.

MendozaJ

You're telling me the biggest companies in the world full of the brightest minds are wasting billions of dollars developing systems that will never work? U should turn in your resume and save them some money. I'm sure your GED and knowledge of parcel deliveries will look good.

R&D involves a lot of trial and error. You only see the finished product.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Mercedes self driving system only cost them 10k per car. If u add that plus a low yearly wage it will probably pay for itself in a year compared to the 85k a year a full time driver costs them plus benefits.
You're assuming the technology is transferable, which it isn't.

On top of it, Mercedes development cost is spread out over thousands of vehicles, which they are also in turn selling. For something like this we would probably take it all in house, the costs aren't transferred.

We have how many different PC sizes? And then you have feeders. You'd need to configure it for Singles, Doubles, Triples, and 53 footers. Then have a mechanism in place to ensure the proper set is selected.

It's not as easy as saying "Hey Mercedes, we'll give you $100 million to outfit our fleet" There is a reason this feature is in luxury cars, and not entry models.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
The answer is, it may be worth it. One option might be to work PT through the year, and seasonal during peak/Christmas. I know a few PT/ temp drivers that do exactly this, make a decent $1200-2000/week checks for 6-8 weeks.

I worked with a FT employee who had/has a landscaping business and he often hires illegals. This was in Massachusetts. ;)

Send a few my way. My Portuguese isn't what it used to be, but I remember break is 9-915, lunch 12-1230.

Not in NJ.

Your right.

I'll correct myself.
When you try to do things in the correct & legal manner, that stuff catches up with you.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
oh this is fun. You're my new favorite crazy BC poster.

Let's see. First of AI technology is still far away from what would be needed as a cost effective and reliable/insurability alternative at all ups operations. The tech is there now. Why are we not seeing widely adopted? Because the insurance underwriting costs outweigh the benefit for commercial operations.

Ever tried to insure a self driving tesla? The rates are crazy. We looked at one.

Same principle here big guy.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

And the Tesla system doesn't even recognize a 53 foot trailer from the side.

I think I will continue to be in control.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Let's see. First of AI technology is still far away from what would be needed as a cost effective and reliable/insurability alternative at all ups operations. The tech is there now. Why are we not seeing widely adopted? Because the insurance underwriting costs outweigh the benefit for commercial operations.
Aircraft would be a far easier application, and we are still many years away from that happening.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1467925108.518846.jpg

ITwannabe

You're assuming the technology is transferable, which it isn't.

On top of it, Mercedes development cost is spread out over thousands of vehicles, which they are also in turn selling. For something like this we would probably take it all in house, the costs aren't transferred.

We have how many different PC sizes? And then you have feeders. You'd need to configure it for Singles, Doubles, Triples, and 53 footers. Then have a mechanism in place to ensure the proper set is selected.

It's not as easy as saying "Hey Mercedes, we'll give you $100 million to outfit our fleet" There is a reason this feature is in luxury cars, and not entry models.
I didn't say it was transferable. I simply said economically it is feasible. Also I never said it was ready yet..it takes time for things to be ironed out so they aren't an insurance risk. And yes it is being widely adopted, how many billion dollar companies are getting their feet wet in this? All of them. Because they know it's the future.