Is it worth it though?

ITwannabe

oh we are dealing with a real winner here. The way he was talking, I thought he was in I.E. 2 years??

Okay he can officially shut the hell up now.

Sounds like he fits this new batch of arrogant young sups that have it all figured out.

I would of pegged him for a PT belt sup.

So he basically thinks his job will be outsourced or degraded to $8/HR ???

He should quit now and get a head start on designing the next big tech. The way he talks, I would have figured he has a basic high school education and very little common sense.
Nah can't stand management. Why so Butthurt?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
His wife is the breadwinner.
yep and I still make 100k. Don't hate Dave. I'm sorry that you would have to spend thousands an hour to get a woman of my wife's caliber to even sit next to you let alone touch you.

How's your marriage going again???

Oh wait....

How's crying curled up in the fetal position every lonely night going instead?

ITwannabe

So you can honestly say that parcel delivery services will never be run by GIS or autonomous driving systems? I'm an idiot? But apparently according to you the longer you drive at UPS the more you know about computer engineering.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
So you can honestly say that parcel delivery services will never be run by GIS or autonomous driving systems? I'm an idiot? But apparently according to you the longer you drive at UPS the more you know about computer engineering.

If you know so much about computer engineering , why are you a driver is the better question.

Oh and we already have GPS in our trucks. It's called telematics. Were you not aware? You stated previously that our jobs would change when we have gps in our trucks. It's already there in case you didn't know.

I'm sure they'll have it but being as smart as you are, you failed to grasp the point that it probably won't be at ups in our time. Even yours Mr 2 years. First they'd have to get rid of the NMA and all the labor laws and pretty much the teamsters. Don't see that happening any time soon.

Thank god you have this extensive knowledge of computer engineering to fall back on.

My 12 year old knows more about computers and engineering then you do.

Re-Raise

I am still waiting on my flying Jetson's car so I can pick up at Spacely's Sprockets before they close.

Just stop talking now please

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
I currently own and operate a landscaping company. I realized I can't do this kind of thing forever and want to try my hand at ups. I start my unloading position on Wednesday. I'm mostly doing this because of benefits and 401k (I'm 28, not married but a baby on the way, currently pay my own benefits and its not cheap), but A switch in careers is not something I am against. I want to know if moving up in this company within say 3-5 years realistic nowadays? I'd hate to be almost 40 still waiting to move up. I have no doubt that I am going to b a great employee and well respected. Thanks for any help

Don't do it!

Am I the only one that has an issue with not married, baby on the way?

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I'll go so far as to say driverless package cars won't happen in any of our lifetimes. There are far too many variables associated with this job.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....

Who is gonna hump the freakin' package up to the house?

ITwannabe

If you know so much about computer engineering , why are you a driver is the better question.

Oh and we already have GPS in our trucks. It's called telematics. Were you not aware? You stated previously that our jobs would change when we have gps in our trucks. It's already there in case you didn't know.

I'm sure they'll have it but being as smart as you are, you failed to grasp the point that it probably won't be at ups in our time. Even yours Mr 2 years. First they'd have to get rid of the NMA and all the labor laws and pretty much the teamsters. Don't see that happening any time soon.

Thank god you have this extensive knowledge of computer engineering to fall back on.

My 12 year old knows more about computers and engineering then you do.
I'm working on my masters in software dev right now got my bachelor's a year ago. My wife has a good job in the area and we decided to wait and move until I finished my masters. I do some consulting for independent GIS software companies remotely and with some people I know from college. I worked seasonal at UPS one year and the asked me if I wanted hired off the street I said yes because there aren't any firms I'm interested in working for near me so I figured finish my masters and then move. I plan to be out of UPS in a year or two..But I could also stay with UPS and work in their software department .Also I meant GPS that shows the driver where u are going...

oldngray

nowhere special
I'm working on my masters in software dev right now got my bachelor's a year ago. My wife has a good job in the area and we decided to wait and move until I finished my masters. I do some consulting for independent GIS software companies remotely and with some people I know from college. I worked seasonal at UPS one year and the asked me if I wanted hired off the street I said yes because there aren't any firms I'm interested in working for near me so I figured finish my masters and then move. I plan to be out of UPS in a year or two..But I could also stay with UPS and work in their software department .Also I meant GPS that shows the driver where u are going...

What happened to your 2 years experience as a driver?

And if you had really that degree you would be using correct terminology.

Orion inc.

I like turtles

So you have a degree in software development and you think that ups will implement driverless cars and we will all take huge pay cuts to be glorified "helpers"?

Do I have that correct?

For a tech guy, you seem really really stupid. Research telematics a little more. It's pretty much all GPS. And if they wanted turn by turn gps, they would have installed them years ago. They had and have the technology. Why haven't they? Because it wouldn't be productive in the bigger picture of running a route.

oldngray

nowhere special
So you have a degree in software development and you think that ups will implement driverless cars and we will all take huge pay cuts to be glorified "helpers"?

Do I have that correct?

For a tech guy, you seem really really stupid. Research telematics a little more. It's pretty much all GPS. And if they wanted turn by turn gps, they would have installed them years ago. They had and have the technology. Why haven't they? Because it wouldn't be productive in the bigger picture of running a route.

It's the classic traveling salesman problem. Which he probably never heard of.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
What happened to your 2 years experience as a driver?

And if you had really that degree you would be using correct terminology.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1467940667.269066.jpg