Is July 5th a holiday

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Speaking of July 5th, it is a day to celebrate for some of us here in Wisconsin. First day of the new law, no smoking in public buildings statewide. Not a big fan of govt telling business owners what to do, but I will enjoy sitting at the corner pub without someone blowing smoke in my face. JMO

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Speaking of July 5th, it is a day to celebrate for some of us here in Wisconsin. First day of the new law, no smoking in public buildings statewide. Not a big fan of govt telling business owners what to do, but I will enjoy sitting at the corner pub without someone blowing smoke in my face. JMO
We have a similar law here for the past few years. Oh joy!

browniehound

Its not a holiday, read your contract everyone it could vary from local to local. As it has been said already, if a holiday falls on a Saturday we get paid the holiday. If it falls on a Sunday it is observed on Monday.

Read your contract all you want, it has nothing to do with that. July 4th is a Federal holiday and if it lands on a Sunday, by law its an observed federal holiday on Monday. It has nothing to do with UPS. July 4th on a Sunday and UPS gets Monday off and a 3 day-weekend by law. If July 4th falls on a Saturday then we get no extra day because its not the law. However, 99.9% of the corporate world will have the 3rd of if the 4th falls on a saturday

jimstud

Banned
Read your contract all you want, it has nothing to do with that. July 4th is a Federal holiday and if it lands on a Sunday, by law its an observed federal holiday on Monday. It has nothing to do with UPS. July 4th on a Sunday and UPS gets Monday off and a 3 day-weekend by law. If July 4th falls on a Saturday then we get no extra day because its not the law. However, 99.9% of the corporate world will have the 3rd of if the 4th falls on a saturday

columbus day and veterans day are both federal holidays do we have those off also? it goes by your supplement of which the new england supplement says you will be paid for the day nothing about getting the day off because it falls on a sunday.

tieguy

Banned
Its not a holiday, read your contract everyone it could vary from local to local. As it has been said already, if a holiday falls on a Saturday we get paid the holiday. If it falls on a Sunday it is observed on Monday.

I'm not as smart as you when it comes to such complicated things but if you get monday off for the fourth being on a sunday then wouldn't monday be the holiday? Wouldn't the ups calendar saying monday is the holiday kind of make monday the holiday? Again I'm trying not to step over your superior knowledge of this complicated subject. Just musing out loud.:happy2:

browniehound

columbus day and veterans day are both federal holidays do we have those off also? it goes by your supplement of which the new england supplement says you will be paid for the day nothing about getting the day off because it falls on a sunday.

You're right, they are both federal holidays, but here is the difference: Columbus day and Veterans day are not UPS holidays and July 4th is, therefore if it falls on a Sunday its observed Monday regardless of your supplement.

Like a previous poster wrote, look at the UPS calender for 2010. July 5th says: No UPS deliveries or pick-ups. This should override anything it says in any supplement.

Now look at the 2009 calender. The 4th was Saturday and all services were offered on the 3rd (Friday) and the 6th (Monday). What would be the explanation for this? Just asking here.....

browniehound

Did they also ask you to meet them at 9:00 that night on the 9th green?

HA HA. In all seriousness, why would you come to work to deliver parcels on a day that UPS published to all its customers that no services will be available (except Sonic Air or whatever its called now) on July 5th? Do you believe the center manager over the corporate plan?

jimstud

Banned
HA HA. In all seriousness, why would you come to work to deliver parcels on a day that UPS published to all its customers that no services will be available (except Sonic Air or whatever its called now) on July 5th? Do you believe the center manager over the corporate plan?
i don't own a ups calander so i was just going on what my supervisor told me. in 23 years i don't ever remember having a monday off for a holiday that fell on sunday. i guess it just goes to show that ups supervisors have no integrity.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As an avid non-smoker I applauded the day NY passed that law; however, the problem is you still end up walking through the smokers to get in to the non-smoking building. A lot of pub owners thought the law would kill their business but business has actually grown for the reason you gave.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
i don't own a ups calander so i was just going on what my supervisor told me. in 23 years i don't ever remember having a monday off for a holiday that fell on sunday. i guess it just goes to show that ups supervisors have no integrity.
Makes me wonder where you've been working for the last 23 years....

rod

Retired 22 years
As an avid non-smoker I applauded the day NY passed that law; however, the problem is you still end up walking through the smokers to get in to the non-smoking building. A lot of pub owners thought the law would kill their business but business has actually grown for the reason you gave.

As long as it has been pre approved to go off topic I will give my 2 cents worth. Mn. is a no smoking state but not as tough as some are. When Mn. passed their law they forgot to say how far smokers have to be away from doors and windows once they step outside for a cig. so we have to run the gaumet of smokers to enter a bar or restraunt. I do enjoy a smoke free establishment even though years ago (18 to be exact) I was a 3 pack a day smoker. Contrary to what some would have you believe, going non smoking won't kill the bar business. We still have the same 15 bars as before with pretty much the same old barflies hanging out (and new ones in training). I was amazed last year when I stopped at a roadside rest in Iowa and happened to park in front of a sign that said " This is a smoke free rest area. No smoking allowed anywhere on the property unless you remain in your vehical with the windows rolled up". Neat!

As for the origional subject of " are we working July 5th"---------------all I know is I'm not.:happy2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
*See post in pet peeves.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
You're right, they are both federal holidays, but here is the difference: Columbus day and Veterans day are not UPS holidays and July 4th is, therefore if it falls on a Sunday its observed Monday regardless of your supplement.

Like a previous poster wrote, look at the UPS calender for 2010. July 5th says: No UPS deliveries or pick-ups. This should override anything it says in any supplement.

Now look at the 2009 calender. The 4th was Saturday and all services were offered on the 3rd (Friday) and the 6th (Monday). What would be the explanation for this? Just asking here.....

Right on. Read the calendar.... So clear - no service - no work

govols019

You smell that?
Two months ago I quit smoking after a 23-year love affair with cigarettes. All this conversation about cigarettes is killing me. I want one so bad I could eat it.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Two months ago I quit smoking after a 23-year love affair with cigarettes. All this conversation about cigarettes is killing me. I want one so bad I could eat it.
Well, you quit for some reason, so I wish you well on your quest. BTW, by July 5th it should be that much easier to deal with.:happy2: