Is moving to a different area on your shift possible?

sonyatx

I was wondering if there is any way to put in a transfer to another area on your shift? I am on sunrise and my shift starts at 3:30 and ends as last as 9:00. I had talked to my manager about moving to a different belt for school. One that lets out earlier, like unload. He basically told me it was not possible and I should look into different schools. He was really just talking a bunch of non-sense. I am going to have to transfer to twilight if I can not figure something out.
thanks,
Sonya

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
There should be a board somewhere that shows job openings. Or a list that you can get on to move to other positions. Talk to a union steward.

JonFrum

I was wondering if there is any way to put in a transfer to another area on your shift? I am on sunrise and my shift starts at 3:30 and ends as last as 9:00. I had talked to my manager about moving to a different belt for school. One that lets out earlier, like unload. He basically told me it was not possible and I should look into different schools. He was really just talking a bunch of non-sense. I am going to have to transfer to twilight if I can not figure something out.
thanks,
Sonya
Sonya, here's the language from the Master Contract. Check your Supplement, there may be additional language there.

National Master United Parcel Service Agreement
For the Period: December 19, 2007 through July 31, 2013
Article 22 -- Part-Time Employees
Section 4
"Part-time employees shall be given the opportunity to fill full-time jobs before hiring from the outside on a six-for-one basis (six (6) part-time to every one (1) outside hire).

The following will be incorporated into the job selection procedures in the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum:

The Employer will fill all vacancies and permanent new jobs for part-time employees from the part-time selection list in all months except November and December.

Part-time employees with six (6) months or more seniority shall have the right to place their name on the list of employees waiting to be moved to a preferred job within their building. Such preferred jobs shall include, but not be limited to: Preload, Sorter, Clerical, Irregular Train, Designated Responder, Carwasher, Loader and Unloader. Employees do not have the right to select any specific unit, load or workstation unless a prior past practice has been established.

Part-time employees with less than six (6) months seniority shall have the right to bid a preferred job prior to the Employer hiring from off-the-street.

A maximum of twenty-five percent (25%) of the employees on a shift shall be allowed to change shifts in any one (1) calendar year. The employee obtaining the new position shall remain on that shift for at least six (6) months."

upser_J

thanks,
Sonya

ok I don't know what question these other guys are responding to, but when you say manager, do you mean the shift manager(person in charge of the whole shift... just wanted to make sure u knew who i was referring to), or do you mean your supervisor or coordinator? If you were referring to you shift manager, well then go talk to a union steward and see what possibilities you can go from there. If it was just your supervisor or coordinator, go to the next in command, coordinator or shift manager. They are the dark side, but sometimes they can be sympathetic. :surprised: