Is Ohio ups still hiring drivers off the street?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The company shouldn't allow off the street hires. Drivers need to "earn" their positions by working their way up through the part time ranks. Everyone knows that you have to know how to load 'em to deliver 'em.

DOK

The company shouldn't allow off the street hires. Drivers need to "earn" their positions by working their way up through the part time ranks. Everyone knows that you have to know how to load 'em to deliver 'em.

Agreed, and the company shouldn't hire off the street for any position in management either.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Agreed, and the company shouldn't hire off the street for any position in management either.

You don't have to know to load 'em to supervise 'em?

BTW, I was being sarcastic. Some of the best drivers were hired off the street, primarily because they don't have this false sense of entitlement that many career part timers have.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
It a'll l depends on the individual. I have known some drivers hired off the street that have been excellent while others have been total train wrecks and vice versa. Some people just can't do the job no matter where they started.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
what about coming from twilight? never loaded in my life before driving
Honestly a majority of drivers in my building come from preload.

I think it's something to do with if you can get up and go to work at 3am everyday you usually have the work ethic to make it as a driver.

Last edited:

10 point

You don't have to know to load 'em to supervise 'em?

BTW, I was being sarcastic. Some of the best drivers were hired off the street, primarily because they don't have this false sense of entitlement that many career part timers have.
Why not? Because they skipped all the years of lower pay (depending on how long you worked pt), the extra years of harassment from pt supes (that can't do the job), and slid into the highest paying hourly job in the company without the wait?

Compare apples to apples. Your "entitlement" comment was unfounded and lame since you were hired off the street. Off the street hires owe part timers respect not a judgemental attitude.

10 point

Respect is earned.
Agreed. And people who break their back at UPS "earning" the chance to drive by waiting on their seniority date to count as their ticket to the job that FT off the street hires slide into deserve inherent respect. They paid their dues, patiently waiting and contributing to the overall success of the company. That in itself is worth respecting.