Is Saturday air driver the best job at UPS?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by sano, Jun 30, 2009.

1. sano

sano New Member

I am impatiently waiting for a full time driving job. You know the drill, 2 jobs besides preloading, always tired.

However, I have this feeling that someday when I look back on a UPS career, I may say that the Saturday air driving I am doing now, was as good as it got. No, its not good money (12.50 an hour) but, driving 70-90 miles to deliver 15-20 packages to 12-15 stops, all on a Saturday morning when traffic is at a minimum. Oh, and did I mention it is in a late model automatic package car with a peppy little turbo diesel?

If you know of a better job at brown, please speak up.

2. some1else

some1else Active Member

same but when you get top air rate and work a full 10-12 hour day? if i could work 7 "saturdays" a week i would EVERY week! lol i do miss it!

3. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

are you crazy?

Working a Saturday is the worst no matter what job it is.

4. FORDMAN

FORDMAN New Member

i think air driving is the best job at ups it was so easy.

5. brownrodster

brownrodster New Member

The best jobs, IMHO, are saturday air coupled with the shifter position. In my center that's about 35 hours per week at a little over 20$ an hour (Our shifters get utility driver wage which is about 21$). I would have never went FT If I could have done that. If I were still part time now thats what I would be doing but I couldn't pass up going FT in hopes of someday scoring those positions.

6. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Well-Known Member

I miss delivering EAMs/NDAs in the mornings and Picking up drop boxes in the afternoons. Saturdays were cool too. I didn't like being an air driver at first but once I got up to $20+/hr I couldn't get enough. Those jobs plus my local sort shift was easy money.

7. upssalesguy

upssalesguy UPS Defender

i can only tell you what is NOT the best job at UPS. ;)

8. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

^the guy who cleans the bathroom?

9. upssalesguy

upssalesguy UPS Defender

see my user name. recessions suuuuuck!

10. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

I knew what you meant.. I was being facetious

11. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

Heck, I always enjoyed it. (1988-2008).
    Light traffic , great time to learn an new area.
    Getting paid to drive around aimlessly.
    Only one sup. around, sometime a clerk ran the show.
    Lots of time to kill between my last delv and the first pu.
    And I really miss not having my Mondays off.

12. Sleeve_meet_Heart

If you were M/F you would get more money right? 4 more hours inside at 27 whatever you make. It is a trade off, if you like Saturdays anyway.

13. cino321

cino321 Active Member

The guys who clean the bathrooms in my building are getting paid are full time who are getting paid top rate; not a bad gig if you ask me.

14. feederdriver06

feederdriver06 former monkey slave

Feeders

15. wrecker

wrecker Member

+1

16. evilleace

evilleace Member

The porters at my building are ft and at top rate so for that money I could clean the bathroom.

17. Sleeve_meet_Heart

ECS is one of the best job at UPS. better than sat air driving that is for sure.

18. feederdriver06

feederdriver06 former monkey slave

Pilots flying the "brown tails" that bring you your air packages. I have to think they have the best job in the company bar none

19. cachsux

cachsux Wah

+2

Especially those pampered prima dona`s that drive the "Big White Truck".

20. wrecker

wrecker Member

I dunno about that... Living in a truck for days at a time with a coworker and no showers... YUCK. :dead: I'd rather go home daily. Those tractors are pretty sweet, though.