Is Smith Ready To Make the Move to Ground?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ok. Let's say you are right and it's not over. What's your move? Still waiting on the teamsters? With all your contacts and sources, do you have no one feeding you information from the union? If not, then what? It's gotta start somewhere.

I have lots of contacts within FedEx, not at the Teamsters. Unfortunately, we cannot do much without a national organizing effort. Remember, it's all or nothing under the RLA, just the way Fred likes it.

bbsam

Staff member
I have lots of contacts within FedEx, not at the Teamsters. Unfortunately, we cannot do much without a national organizing effort. Remember, it's all or nothing under the RLA, just the way Fred likes it.
And yet you insist it's not over. These two statements seem to be at odds with each other.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Any leader would defend his system even if it was ethically wrong. They defend because they know its wrong

Not to pick nits, but which is it? Are they defending it because they know it's wrong, or are they defending it because leaders always defend their systems no matter what?

FedExer267

Not to pick nits, but which is it? Are they defending it because they know it's wrong, or are they defending it because leaders always defend their systems no matter what?
Put it this way he has to defend his scam because it is morally wrong for a billion dollar company to do business this way. He has free employees basically who are told what to do and when to do it by his management, sorry I am confused thought we did not work for FedEx so would that not fall on the contractor to run his business and not these worthless suits running around trying to police how we do our job. Maybe they should be there teaching preload and unload how to do their job since they are the employees.
Does it not upset you 59Dano that you a employee of FEDEX and all of the other employees with real jobs out there feed Ground drivers families and pay for them to have medical since your CEO is to damn cheap to run a billion dollar business properly.
I am not against a IC model at all if your a small business but a billion dollar company should not operate this way.
Do you think its right that a Ground driver works 60 to 70 hours a week and can still qualify for government assistance?
is it right that FedEx gets away with not paying insurance and taxes on us because thats when its in their best intrest for us to not be employees, however they run the show.
This is why he defends the system because it makes him billions. He is part of the reason the middle class is not what it use to be. Think about this if more companies try to adopt this system cuz it works for old FRED the middle class is done.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Put it this way he has to defend his scam because it is morally wrong for a billion dollar company to do business this way. He has free employees basically who are told what to do and when to do it by his management, sorry I am confused thought we did not work for FedEx so would that not fall on the contractor to run his business and not these worthless suits running around trying to police how we do our job. Maybe they should be there teaching preload and unload how to do their job since they are the employees.
Does it not upset you 59Dano that you a employee of FEDEX and all of the other employees with real jobs out there feed Ground drivers families and pay for them to have medical since your CEO is to damn cheap to run a billion dollar business properly.
I am not against a IC model at all if your a small business but a billion dollar company should not operate this way.
Do you think its right that a Ground driver works 60 to 70 hours a week and can still qualify for government assistance?
is it right that FedEx gets away with not paying insurance and taxes on us because thats when its in their best intrest for us to not be employees, however they run the show.
This is why he defends the system because it makes him billions. He is part of the reason the middle class is not what it use to be. Think about this if more companies try to adopt this system cuz it works for old FRED the middle class is done.

59 Dano and quadro are always behind anything Fred does. It doesn't matter if it's right or wrong, as long as Fred makes even more money off the deal, even if it's at their expense. Government assistance programs for FedEx Ground drivers are just another "gift" for Fred from the government and the middle class because he provides neither a living wage nor insurance benefits. One would think that the Tea Bag crowd would be all over Smith and FedEx for this and for the RLA "Express Carrier" exemption, both of which are direct subsidies to FedEx. Perhaps President Palin and Vice-President Beck can explain it to them.

newgirl

Which is why time and again FEDEX is called the Walmart of shipping. How can a company that makes so much money have people on welfare and food stamps? Way back when the money did trickle down. There were bonues, BPP payouts, raises, lead incentives etc. to motivate the employee. That all stopped when Memphis realized all they had to do was buy out the competition. We started with Tigers and rolled on and over. Now it's time for Express to roll over and die.

Watch what's going on with the freight. Is your station rolling freight? Pissing customers off? Watch the downsizing of the trucks, no more buying equipment, uniforms, paper, pens, etc. How many ground and HD drivers do you see in your area? More? Is your sales person selling express or ground? Speaking of sales, where are they? We put in leads and they never get followed up on. Customers tell our guys all the time they haven't heard from anyone yet.

Customers are saavy. They know when all the drivers show up. If a ground package gets there earlier and faster than an express package, what do they choose?

I am working on an exit strategy.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Which is why time and again FEDEX is called the Walmart of shipping. How can a company that makes so much money have people on welfare and food stamps? Way back when the money did trickle down. There were bonues, BPP payouts, raises, lead incentives etc. to motivate the employee. That all stopped when Memphis realized all they had to do was buy out the competition. We started with Tigers and rolled on and over. Now it's time for Express to roll over and die.

Watch what's going on with the freight. Is your station rolling freight? Pissing customers off? Watch the downsizing of the trucks, no more buying equipment, uniforms, paper, pens, etc. How many ground and HD drivers do you see in your area? More? Is your sales person selling express or ground? Speaking of sales, where are they? We put in leads and they never get followed up on. Customers tell our guys all the time they haven't heard from anyone yet.

Customers are saavy. They know when all the drivers show up. If a ground package gets there earlier and faster than an express package, what do they choose?

I am working on an exit strategy.

You're right bbsam...she gets it.

newgirl

Note: My post certainly was not to be condescending, though aftter further thought it could be read that way. Sorry 'bout that.:peaceful:

No problem. Subtlety is hard to discern on the neenernet.

Now that we "know" what Project Condor is, maybe we can figure out where they are going with it? NYUPser says it like UPS 2day air. Let's see how (and who) delivers that, how it gets there and what it costs.

What product is it replacing for us? If everything is by 10:30 or 1500 that means more AM people. We are switching to 4/10 routes to reduce overtime. Couple that with deferred freight, smaller trucks. Where are they going with all this?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No problem. Subtlety is hard to discern on the neenernet.

Now that we "know" what Project Condor is, maybe we can figure out where they are going with it? NYUPser says it like UPS 2day air. Let's see how (and who) delivers that, how it gets there and what it costs.

What product is it replacing for us? If everything is by 10:30 or 1500 that means more AM people. We are switching to 4/10 routes to reduce overtime. Couple that with deferred freight, smaller trucks. Where are they going with all this?

My guess? They're going to Ground, and if they can't get there as soon as they'd like, they're going to at least prepare for it. Here's a question for anyone who'd care to answer it. Where did all of those brand-new rollerbed (read air container truck/CTV) Ground trailers go? FedEx bought a bunch of them, and now they're nowhere to be found. These trailers are only for containers and cannot be used for bulk-loading pkgs since the rollers are fixed in-place. Why oh why would Fred buy a bunch of Ground trailers that can only haul air containers? My guess is that they're parked somewhere in the desert or inside a warehouse so they cannot be seen, at least until Fred fires most of our RTD's and then has the Ground trucks haul the E2 and SO containers from the Express ramp to the Ground sort facility.

Ever wonder why almost all RTD's are now PT?

quadro

My guess? They're going to Ground, and if they can't get there as soon as they'd like, they're going to at least prepare for it. Here's a question for anyone who'd care to answer it. Where did all of those brand-new rollerbed (read air container truck/CTV) Ground trailers go? FedEx bought a bunch of them, and now they're nowhere to be found. These trailers are only for containers and cannot be used for bulk-loading pkgs since the rollers are fixed in-place. Why oh why would Fred buy a bunch of Ground trailers that can only haul air containers? My guess is that they're parked somewhere in the desert or inside a warehouse so they cannot be seen, at least until Fred fires most of our RTD's and then has the Ground trucks haul the E2 and SO containers from the Express ramp to the Ground sort facility.

Ever wonder why almost all RTD's are now PT?
Doesn't it suck when your Fetzer valve goes out and your spy satellite stops working? I have to use Google Earth when mine goes out but the obvious drawback to that is that it's not real-time imagery.

Many RTD's are PT because <looks around to make sure no one is listening and sweeps room for listening device> you only need most of them for a few hours in the morning and a few hours in the evening. There's not that much work in the middle of the day for RTD's to do. But please, don't tell anyone that we actually schedule employees based on when the work needs to be done. If everyone finds out, they'll all start doing it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Doesn't it suck when your Fetzer valve goes out and your spy satellite stops working? I have to use Google Earth when mine goes out but the obvious drawback to that is that it's not real-time imagery.

Many RTD's are PT because <looks around to make sure no one is listening and sweeps room for listening device> you only need most of them for a few hours in the morning and a few hours in the evening. There's not that much work in the middle of the day for RTD's to do. But please, don't tell anyone that we actually schedule employees based on when the work needs to be done. If everyone finds out, they'll all start doing it.

Glad to see you're checking your "spy" systems. Mock me all you want, but once again, you justify lack of opportunity for employees based on Fred's need's...not theirs. As far as you're concerned, everyone (except you, of course) could be PT because it fits with operational needs. Most companies with an actual career track realize that they must provide avenues for either advancement or FT work in order to retain good employees. Ever hear of a job share, or combined Heavyweight/RTD functions? I've watched a bunch of my former RTD workmates get pared-down to 36 hours or so per week or be forced to go back to courier work just to get enough hours to survive financially. There is no consideration for the employee...only the company.

If Fred could actually get away with it, he'd have an all PT workforce in order to have an even cheaper operating structure. He's been moving that way for awhile now, probably in advance of the shift of freight over to Ground. I'm sure if they determine that your job function can go PT, that you'll be OK with 25-30 hours per week and no realistic chance of ever returning to FT status. Why don't you send Fred a letter and volunteer to cut your hours for the good of the company?

At most organizations, this is a give and take process that recognizes both the needs of the company and the needs of the employee. At FedEx, the process only goes one way..TAKE. Bend-over boys like yourself have no problem with this kind of conduct. Those of us born with an actual spine don't like it very much.

quadro

Glad to see you're checking your "spy" systems. Mock me all you want, but once again, you justify lack of opportunity for employees based on Fred's need's...not theirs.
Show me one business that hires, pays, and schedules hourly employees and lets the employee dictate their schedule when the work is time sensitive. The opportunities are there. I see many full time jobs posted every week, both hourly and salaried.
As far as you're concerned, everyone (except you, of course) could be PT because it fits with operational needs.
As usual, you're still putting words into my mouth to fit your argument. I never said that everyone could be PT. Maybe you could save us all some time and post our responses for us. At least that way they'll say what you want them to say.
Most companies with an actual career track realize that they must provide avenues for either advancement or FT work in order to retain good employees.
FedEx does. See above and career ops every Friday. Just because FedEx won't pay someone 8 hours to do a 4 hour job is not a lack of opportunity.
Ever hear of a job share, or combined Heavyweight/RTD functions? I've watched a bunch of my former RTD workmates get pared-down to 36 hours or so per week or be forced to go back to courier work just to get enough hours to survive financially. There is no consideration for the employee...only the company.
I was job sharing 25 years ago and have either done it or seen it done just about every year since. Interestingly you complain that your former RTD workmates were pared down to 36 hours and yet you advocate for the work to be spread out even more by increasing the hours of part-timers. How would your former RTD workmates feel if they knew you were looking to cut their hours even further?
If Fred could actually get away with it, he'd have an all PT workforce in order to have an even cheaper operating structure.
Unlike UPS, PT FedEx employees get paid the same as FT employees so an all PT workforce would likely cost more, not less, because you'd have to have more employees to do the work (i.e. 2 PT'ers doing 4 hours instead of 1 FT doing 8)and would increase your training costs, your benefit costs, etc.
He's been moving that way for awhile now, probably in advance of the shift of freight over to Ground. I'm sure if they determine that your job function can go PT, that you'll be OK with 25-30 hours per week and no realistic chance of ever returning to FT status. Why don't you send Fred a letter and volunteer to cut your hours for the good of the company?
I never said I would be ok going PT. And interestingly again, you suggest I cut my hours for the good of the company but you're advocating that people be given more hours so that would cut my hours anyway???

At most organizations, this is a give and take process that recognizes both the needs of the company and the needs of the employee. At FedEx, the process only goes one way..TAKE. Bend-over boys like yourself have no problem with this kind of conduct. Those of us born with an actual spine don't like it very much.
Oh, you mean a give and take process like all the jobs posted every Friday? Why are you so fixated on men bending over?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Show me one business that hires, pays, and schedules hourly employees and lets the employee dictate their schedule when the work is time sensitive. The opportunities are there. I see many full time jobs posted every week, both hourly and salaried.

As usual, you're still putting words into my mouth to fit your argument. I never said that everyone could be PT. Maybe you could save us all some time and post our responses for us. At least that way they'll say what you want them to say.

FedEx does. See above and career ops every Friday. Just because FedEx won't pay someone 8 hours to do a 4 hour job is not a lack of opportunity.

I was job sharing 25 years ago and have either done it or seen it done just about every year since. Interestingly you complain that your former RTD workmates were pared down to 36 hours and yet you advocate for the work to be spread out even more by increasing the hours of part-timers. How would your former RTD workmates feel if they knew you were looking to cut their hours even further?

Unlike UPS, PT FedEx employees get paid the same as FT employees so an all PT workforce would likely cost more, not less, because you'd have to have more employees to do the work (i.e. 2 PT'ers doing 4 hours instead of 1 FT doing 8)and would increase your training costs, your benefit costs, etc.

I never said I would be ok going PT. And interestingly again, you suggest I cut my hours for the good of the company but you're advocating that people be given more hours so that would cut my hours anyway???

Oh, you mean a give and take process like all the jobs posted every Friday? Why are you so fixated on men bending over?

I don't like people who bend over for employers like Fred S. If you want to interpret my terminology as having a sexual connotation, feel free to do so. That's your problem. If you'd prefer, I'll say something like "you are completely submissive to an abusive employer", then you can spin-it in some other direction and try a different tactic to belittle me.

quadro

I don't like people who bend over for employers like Fred S. If you want to interpret my terminology as having a sexual connotation, feel free to do so. That's your problem. If you'd prefer, I'll say something like "you are completely submissive to an abusive employer", then you can spin-it in some other direction and try a different tactic to belittle me.
So your only comeback is to the little jab I took? Nothing to refute the meat of the discussion?