Is Smith Ready To Make the Move to Ground?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I think UPS has a 2nd day Am delivery service by 10:30 along with the standard 2-day service. FedEx will likely copy them.

FedEx has been copying everything else UPS does (well except for pay) for the last 20 years, so why not this?

quadro

Thanks for that, I had heard about hiring to replace retirees, but not the other.
I would read up on how that all played out. It might not change your mind about anything and I wouldn't expect it to. But see how big of an issue it was in that contract and how it did or didn't play out. Also consider what the IBT has done about it and why they did what they did.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think UPS has a 2nd day Am delivery service by 10:30 along with the standard 2-day service. FedEx will likely copy them.

We do. 2DA AM is slightly more expensive than standard 2DA and is guaranteed by 10:30. We also offer 2DA Sat. Neither of these new services have caught on yet.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I would read up on how that all played out. It might not change your mind about anything and I wouldn't expect it to. But see how big of an issue it was in that contract and how it did or didn't play out. Also consider what the IBT has done about it and why they did what they did.

The IBT didn't fulfill it's end of the bargain, which isn't surprising. I despise the Teamsters, but as inept and corrupt as they are, the IBT is a better choice than what we've got, which is Fred's way or the highway. It's all about having the ability to at least bargain with FedEx, and we don't even have that.

FedEx2000

The IBT didn't fulfill it's end of the bargain, which isn't surprising. I despise the Teamsters, but as inept and corrupt as they are, the IBT is a better choice than what we've got, which is Fred's way or the highway. It's all about having the ability to at least bargain with FedEx, and we don't even have that.

As long as you realize, which I'm sure you do, that the ONLY reason they give a crap about IBT members getting higher hourly pay is that it means they get more money per month/year from members. Not saying that the dues are a huge out of pocket monthly expense per person, just that it is the only reason they care about higher hourly pay IMO.....and I'm sure you're fine with that.

quadro

And neither did UPS. I brought this up not to bash UPS or the IBT but simply to show that even with a written contract to create FT jobs it isn't always as easy as it seems. Nor is it always the right thing to do. It's great for the PT employee who gets to go FT but not so good for the FT employees who get their hours cut to provide work for the new FT employee. If this was a case of just not wanting the create the jobs by UPS you can bet the teamsters would have been all over that. The fact that they weren't tells me that either they agreed with UPS that it wasn't the right time to create the positions, or that UPS gave the teamsters something better. I honestly don't know if it was either or possibly both but certainly one of the two.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
As long as you realize, which I'm sure you do, that the ONLY reason they give a crap about IBT members getting higher hourly pay is that it means they get more money per month/year from members. Not saying that the dues are a huge out of pocket monthly expense per person, just that it is the only reason they care about higher hourly pay IMO.....and I'm sure you're fine with that.

I'm not stupid. The only reason they have any interest in us is as dues-paying members, and I'm fine with paying dues in order to receive better pay and benefits.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And neither did UPS. I brought this up not to bash UPS or the IBT but simply to show that even with a written contract to create FT jobs it isn't always as easy as it seems. Nor is it always the right thing to do. It's great for the PT employee who gets to go FT but not so good for the FT employees who get their hours cut to provide work for the new FT employee. If this was a case of just not wanting the create the jobs by UPS you can bet the teamsters would have been all over that. The fact that they weren't tells me that either they agreed with UPS that it wasn't the right time to create the positions, or that UPS gave the teamsters something better. I honestly don't know if it was either or possibly both but certainly one of the two.

This is how I see it. The Teamsters are a pile of crap 6 inches high. Fred is a pile of crap that's 6 miles high. If I have to shovel one pile or the other, I choose the IBT.

quadro

This is how I see it. The Teamsters are a pile of crap 6 inches high. Fred is a pile of crap that's 6 miles high. If I have to shovel one pile or the other, I choose the IBT.
I understand that. My point wasn't that you have to choose the lesser of two evils. My point was that you have repeatedly stated, or at least implied, that FedEx should offer more people FT positions. I am simply pointing out some facts that support my position that there are valid business reasons that have a direct impact on other employees and the bottom line as to why there are not more FT positions. That's all.

And MFE, all differences aside, hope you have a good Thanksgiving.

vantexan

I'm not stupid. The only reason they have any interest in us is as dues-paying members, and I'm fine with paying dues in order to receive better pay and benefits.

I'm in a mostly anti union area. About 18 months ago when I thought the union had a chance I was talking to a fellow courier who's over 20 years. She wasn't willing to pay union dues, even if it got her better pay and benefits. It's like repeatedly hitting your head against a wall. I really don't care Quadro at this point, union or not. I'll take whatever comes if it ever does. I've spent so many Thanksgivings and Christmases away from family about all I think about now is getting to retirement so that I can be with them on holidays. And just getting to the point that I don't have to think about this company anymore. It's a total bust. But on the bright side, I've found some safe, interesting places overseas where I can get along nicely on my pension. Now that you can get DirecTV in most of Latin America, can download books, newspapers, and magazines on a Kindle or similar device, and get fast Internet, I'm leaving just as soon as I can afford to, or 55, whichever comes first. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm in a mostly anti union area. About 18 months ago when I thought the union had a chance I was talking to a fellow courier who's over 20 years. She wasn't willing to pay union dues, even if it got her better pay and benefits. It's like repeatedly hitting your head against a wall. I really don't care Quadro at this point, union or not. I'll take whatever comes if it ever does. I've spent so many Thanksgivings and Christmases away from family about all I think about now is getting to retirement so that I can be with them on holidays. And just getting to the point that I don't have to think about this company anymore. It's a total bust. But on the bright side, I've found some safe, interesting places overseas where I can get along nicely on my pension. Now that you can get DirecTV in most of Latin America, can download books, newspapers, and magazines on a Kindle or similar device, and get fast Internet, I'm leaving just as soon as I can afford to, or 55, whichever comes first. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Happy Thanksgiving to you too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you retiring to Latin America out of necessity, rather than by choice? As in Fred's "retirement plan" doesn't give you many options?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I understand that. My point wasn't that you have to choose the lesser of two evils. My point was that you have repeatedly stated, or at least implied, that FedEx should offer more people FT positions. I am simply pointing out some facts that support my position that there are valid business reasons that have a direct impact on other employees and the bottom line as to why there are not more FT positions. That's all.

And MFE, all differences aside, hope you have a good Thanksgiving.

As usual, we'll have to agree to disagree about FedEx, but I hope you have a good Thanksgiving too.

vantexan

Happy Thanksgiving to you too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you retiring to Latin America out of necessity, rather than by choice? As in Fred's "retirement plan" doesn't give you many options?

It's a bit of both. I've been all over the continental U.S. and southern Canada. And a few Mexican border cities. Back in the mid-90's I ran across a book on living in Mexico and have been exploring that idea since, looking at other countries too, including S.E. Asia. I gave up on American women 10 years ago. Sure, there are great ones out there, but either they're married or divorced with 2 kids. Seems the older I get the fewer options I have romance wise(been engaged twice, didn't work out). But overseas an older American with a monthly pension is considered a catch in a few countries, especially the Philippines. Probably going there to find a wife who'll be willing to move to South America. We'll see how it goes.

There's a fairly new discount airline, Spirit, that flies alloyed Central America and the Caribbean plus Colombia and Peru. Just found a town in Peru, Tarapoto, where a fellow from England is getting by comfortably on less than $300 a month. For about $1000 a month you can live decently in Arequipa, Peru's 2nd largest city. Great climate and scenery, 3 new malls, multiplexes playing American movies in English with Spznish subtitles. Colombia has greatly improved too, so much so that it's stock market is the world's best performing one in 2010. There are other places to consider, but Spirit Airlines makes it affordable to fly home so if they don't fly to a particular country I'm passing on it.

I realized shortly after rehiring on that what FedEx was offering wouldn't provide much of a retirement in the U.S. but it could provide a good life elsewhere. They screwed that up bigtime terminating the pension. I had figured to be in the Philippines at 52, now have to keep plugging. That's life. FedEx doesn't owe me a living, but to work decades for a company for decades expecting them to come through with what they promised repeatedly, and then have them terminate the pension to maximize profits, well, it's frustrating. I bear major responsibility for quitting in '97, but it seems they never stop reminding me. Sorry for the long post, just one courier's plan to minimize the damage and achieve independence.

tracker2762

Less than 20 dollars a week. I don't even miss it, people spend more than that or cigarettes and lottery.
plus I get more to show for it.