Is start time mandatory? Possbility of getting fired?

moriar7y

Talk to your supervisor. Contrary to popular belief, P/T supervisors are not all monsters (though friend/Ters are another story). If you explain your situation to your supervisor, they'll work with you. As far as start time, there is very little wiggle room. Every minute is valuable to the sort, and it's especially early in the sort. You need to be there on time every day.

As far as the time you leave, this can be worked out. If there are certain days you need to leave by a certain time, that can be accomplished, as long as it can be a regular thing and it's a reasonable request. That's something you need to work out with your other job as well, maybe picking days that you work or having certain days you come in late. It's possible, you just have to make agreements on both parts, and you can only accomplish that through communication with your supervisor.

Best of luck!

Sent using BrownCafe App

herbigharo32

True story. This one guy moved to Houston to live with is girlfriend. The move did not work out and he just showed up to work after being gone 2 months. Never planned. He just thought he try coming in and nothing was ever said. He is still there today. Now there is a crack down where if you are just 1 minute late you get documented. Not sure how the 1 minute late write ups will last because the entire building (even the most reliable people) will burn through the 4 infractions before getting a suspension.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
During peak season they're just happy to have you show up at all, then come february-march they're writing you up for being 2 minutes late. Same story every year.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yeah, I get that. I have a second job, but I get off on time to make it in early. However, in order to work both of these jobs (on early days), I would have to sacrifice my sleep, which I am not willing to do. I've showed up a couple hours late on Mondays when twilight comes in at 2PM, and they haven't said anything at all, so I'm guessing it's fine. Haven't talked with a sup about my situation yet, but if they don't say anything I'd rather not bring it up.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Not willing to give up sleep 1 day a week. Real go get em generation we have coming into the workforce.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yeah, I get that. I have a second job, but I get off on time to make it in early. However, in order to work both of these jobs (on early days), I would have to sacrifice my sleep, which I am not willing to do. I've showed up a couple hours late on Mondays when twilight comes in at 2PM, and they haven't said anything at all, so I'm guessing it's fine. Haven't talked with a sup about my situation yet, but if they don't say anything I'd rather not bring it up.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Show up a couple hours late and they say nothing? Maybe I'll give that a try tomorrow....lol

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Not willing to give up sleep 1 day a week. Real go get em generation we have coming into the workforce.
When I was a kid I walked 10 miles in the snow to work my job at the saw mill, uphill both ways.....

The guy works a union job, yet has to have a second job just to make ends meet, cut him some slack.... most of us would be full time if we had the choice. UPS is not friendly to part-timers with second jobs, they lose a lot of good people because of it.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
When I was a kid I walked 10 miles in the snow to work my job at the saw mill, uphill both ways.....

The guy works a union job, yet has to have a second job just to make ends meet, cut him some slack.... most of us would be full time if we had the choice. UPS is not friendly to part-timers with second jobs, they lose a lot of good people because of it.
Agreed...I have to be at my 2nd job at 10am today...let's see close to 930 I'll be stuck at ups. I just find it hard to believe that if I showed up two hours late to preload..they wouldn't say a word, and I wouldn't have six voicemails and a warning letter waiting for me..lol.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I think a lot of the problem boils down to how out of touch with reality the HR department is. The hours they list when you apply for the job are WAY off. An hour and a half difference causes a big problem when someone's trying to make it to or from a second job.

Your second job needs to be really flexible, because UPS isn't.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I think a lot of the problem boils down to how out of touch with reality the HR department is. The hours they list when you apply for the job are WAY off. An hour and a half difference causes a big problem when someone's trying to make it to or from a second job.

Your second job needs to be really flexible, because UPS isn't.
It depends which position you work in preload...unloaders tend to get less hours...they start staggering them out the door after 3.5 hours most days...I can't remember the last time I worked less than 4.5+ as a loader.

Rawrzxor

And yet, probably still better than the worst generation yet whom :censored2:ed up a country. Sorry I don't want to sacrifice my health for a company that pays me 8.5. You can keep your 'go-get-em' attitude; I'll take my intelligence.

Rawrzxor

I was two hours late today, and three hours late last Monday; nothing was ever said. Maybe this is just how my Hub is? I was told by a co-worker that as long as you show up by 5pm, they're just glad you came into work.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I'm pretty sure he's not hurting for money or he'd show up to get the extra hours.

I knows ups PT hours and pay suck and some people jobs overlap. We aren't talking about a job overlapping we are talking about someone that wants to sleep more.

I worked two jobs 3pm-9am when I first started ups. It was terrible I hate it but I also needed those 2 jobs to survive. We are talking about giving up a few hours of sleep 1 day a week. Sorry I'm unapologetic man up and go in.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I was two hours late today, and three hours late last Monday; nothing was ever said. Maybe this is just how my Hub is? I was told by a co-worker that as long as you show up by 5pm, they're just glad you came into work.
I'd give up an entire night's sleep for 5 extra hours at ups....that's almost half of my 2nd job's paycheck. I don't know how your hub works, but if I didn't call, and just showed up 3 hours late for the sort...I probably would get sent home.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
funny-alarm-clock-tacks-1.jpg

Brown stains

Are you sure they pay you ...if my son had your work ethic I'd kick his
:censored2: out to the street

Ouch

As a steward attendance for me was the hardest battle to represent. You usually have someone that has set the precedence but why risk it. Go to work when your suppose to.