Is The "Empty Trailer Procedure" Company Wide?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
they want us to sign a paper in feeder on this new Empty Trailer Procedure stating that we understand to check empty trailers for packages before leaving property.

I have doing this already for 20 years. it is already a part of our procedures.

it also states that we can be fired for not following this procedure.

why would this come about? it doesn't say anything about homeland security. is this company wide?

and why would anyone sign anything that gives the company permission to fire them. can they do this?

RTS EVERYTHING!

That said, you should check inside every unsealed trailer regardless to prevent service failures on missed packages. My question to management would be, How many people before me have dropped the ball on checking that trailer and are they required to review a similar policy?

If you are already doing this what is the big deal about signing?

Jesus, really Dave? Do you sign every piece of potentially disciplinary paper that comes before you? You've been around long enough to know that you never give management anything regardless especially when it's a Band-Aid for their policy failures.

oldngray

nowhere special
Must be a directive from corporate after someone noticed sometimes trailers get forgotten about and not unloaded. Nothing new other than it is probably done on purpose sometimes now. They need a fall guy to blame so the last person responsible for checking will get hammered for any mistakes. That is usually a PT sups job to check I thought.

Must be a directive from corporate after someone noticed sometimes trailers get forgotten about and not unloaded. Nothing new other than it is probably done on purpose sometimes now. They need a fall guy to blame so the last person responsible for checking will get hammered for any mistakes. That is usually a PT sups job to check I thought.

We have yard checker pt sups who's sole existence is to check trailer numbers and verify it's status.

Johney

Sounds to me like someone is finding packages in trailers sent back to hubs empty. Maybe one or two small ones mixed in with the garbage. Unfortunately the last guy to see it before it goes back on a train is the lonely feeder driver. Crap flows down hill and their in the valley with that issue.
So what now instead of just shining your light in there feeder drivers have to climb up in and push the garbage around? Sounds too me like more time and risk for injury. Just sayin.

Sounds to me like someone is finding packages in trailers sent back to hubs empty. Maybe one or two small ones mixed in with the garbage. Unfortunately the last guy to see it before it goes back on a train is the lonely feeder driver. Crap flows down hill and their in the valley with that issue.
So what now instead of just shining your light in there feeder drivers have to climb up in and push the garbage around? Sounds too me like more time and risk for injury. Just sayin.

"Why were you late leaving the yard?"

Because, Mr. Mgr, I was thoroughly going through the empty trailer as directed. I called disp to inform as such and took a pic to show the level of trash left inside.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I'd pull empties out to several CPU's a day, and they had to be clean. I tried to convince them, over and over and over how it would make sense to designate several trailers as CPU only and give me the same ones every other day. # or 4 times a week I would have to get up in them and sweep them out cause of a giant mound of shrink wrap or a pile of pallets. (no small feat for a 60 year old out of shape feeder driver in the summer in Texas). I also brought up how much more often I'd have a shot at my gate time if I didn't have to do this. There are never enough trailers to do this on a regular basis. You'd be surprised how many packages I found in these supposedly empty trailers. Sometimes 3 or 4 times a week. Feeders would salt our trailers from time to time to make sure we were checking. Dispatchers in our facility are supposed to do a yard check at the end of their shift and check all trailers. loads and empties. They get salted as well. I'd never sign anything like that. Why give them ammo for an already loaded weapon?

ReTX,

We have hundreds of CPU only trailers as well as a designated operation to clean them and we still have trailers that are dirty and occasionally have pkgs left inside.

Keep mgmt informed and let the poop roll past you.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
it also says that trailers must be free of debris. the memo says it comes from the Transportation dept of the company. it appears to be a corp memo. that's why I asked if anyone has seen this.

our head shop rep said not to sign it . ( update ) he said we only have to sign DOT paperwork and our paycheck.

what if this turns out to be homeland security? do we have to sign that if it is federal? I guess so.

It is NOT homeland security and until the Feds show up with a piece of paper you should NOT sign.

It's because someone got their ass royally chewed and now is band-aiding this to cover their ass. There are so many people who touch that trailer before you are dispatched with it that should have caught any packages.

Want to make a point? Hook to the trailer and roll around out in front of dispatch and clean/inspect the trailer there. They're free to come help and or watch and take possession of any missed packages.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
We check trailers and make sure there are no pallets or trash, and if we find packages then that is just an added thing we have to do. Other than that nobody has really says anything to me about it. I found a package under trash the other day and the manager acted like it was no big deal. I'm usually on the road so I rarely do CPU stuff but when I do it is never a big deal or even mentioned.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
why would anyone sign anything that gives the company permission to fire them. can they do this?

No.

National Master UPS

ARTICLE 6. Section 1. Extra Contract Agreements

Except as may be otherwise provided in this Agreement, the Employer agrees not to enter into, or attempt to enter into, any agreement or contract with its employees, either individually or collectively, or to require or attempt to require employees to sign any document, either individually or collectively, which in any way conflicts with the provisions of this Agreement. Any such Agreement or document shall be null and void. Any such agreement or document may not be placed in an employee’s file or used by the Employer as a basis for discipline or used in connection with any disciplinary proceeding, nor may any such agreement or document nor the contents thereof be divulged to any person or entity.

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/Master_UPS_Agreement.pdf

The company asking you to sign something.... is just an intimidation ploy.

-Bug-

they want us to sign a paper in feeder on this new Empty Trailer Procedure stating that we understand to check empty trailers for packages before leaving property.

I have doing this already for 20 years. it is already a part of our procedures.

it also states that we can be fired for not following this procedure.

why would this come about? it doesn't say anything about homeland security. is this company wide?

and why would anyone sign anything that gives the company permission to fire them. can they do this?
You don't have to sign that