Is The "Empty Trailer Procedure" Company Wide?

trickpony1

cach-
Despite what your notes may say, the dispatcher that told you to put your loaded trailer in the red tag area will quickly forget/deny he said that.

Johney

Last month a dispatch sup told me to put a loaded trailer in a slot that is usually occupied by red tag trailers. She said it was to "seed" the lineup for when the person who is supposed to walk the yard and check trailers to find it. I told her that I couldn't do that since the record would show I was the last person to move that trailer. She said not to worry about that.

In the end it was agreed that I would drop the trailer on the yard and a shifter would do whatever they told him to do with it. No way would I leave myself open for something like that as too many mistakes get made already and when that load may have been missed who would the company blame?
Correct me if I'm wrong but you still would be the last driver on record for that trailer right? What's to say that if it got missed or whatever you still wouldn't be held accountable? I suppose you would still have the shifters word to back you up if there were to be an issue.

cach-
Despite what your notes may say, the dispatcher that told you to put your loaded trailer in the red tag area will quickly forget/deny he said that.

Trick,

The only time it is imperative that a trailer goes in the exact bay is when it's a live bay on the building. Beyond that if I'm within a few staging bay's one side or another I don't even bother reporting the exact bay. Past a few and I bypass dispatch entirely and call Yard Control directly and give them the bay number. Now that the IVIS is used for communication the way DIADS are I'll also send a bay swap through the IVIS. Once it's in the system it's in permanent. After that I forget about the trailer, my job is done. If I'm asked where the trailer is later I'll return with the question of What does the IVIS say.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you still would be the last driver on record for that trailer right? What's to say that if it got missed or whatever you still wouldn't be held accountable? I suppose you would still have the shifters word to back you up if there were to be an issue.

To me it goes back to WAD. If Susie in dispatch wants it there, it's there. He did due diligence by pointing out what area the bay was in. If she wants it there still then spot it and forget about it.

IF it was forgotten about and ol' Sus developed amnesia then it would be the LAST time I took a bay dispatch from her.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
our memo says that "failure to follow this procedure could lead to discharge....etc" so i told them this morning that we should have a seal control and seal for each empty trailer and each handler should sign the seal control;

they said "why?" and i said someone could throw some packages into the empty after i dropped it and then i could be fired as the last driver on record.

"oh, that wont happen."

our memo says that "failure to follow this procedure could lead to discharge....etc" so i told them this morning that we should have a seal control and seal for each empty trailer and each handler should sign the seal control;

they said "why?" and i said someone could throw some packages into the empty after i dropped it and then i could be fired as the last driver on record.

"oh, that wont happen."

The memo could read " or be put to death" and it still would have to be proven you didn't check a trailer.

Simplest case is to not move a trailer until it's perfectly clean. You never know what you might find under that garbage so better to be sure.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
our head shop rep said not to sign it . ( update ) he said we only have to sign DOT paperwork and our paycheck.
I've never signed anything except government related/required stuff, but technically you have to sign anything that isn't related to progressive discipline--I don't have the exact language at hand at the moment, but yeah, I too advocate not giving them any unnecessary ammunition.

I had a driver with a helper who got hurt last winter and the first thing the DM did when he heard about the injury was request every piece of paper the helper ever signed.

I've never signed anything except government related/required stuff, but technically you have to sign anything that isn't related to progressive discipline--I don't have the exact language at hand at the moment, but yeah, I too advocate not giving them any unnecessary ammunition.

I had a driver with a helper who got hurt last winter and the first thing the DM did when he heard about the injury was request every piece of paper the helper ever signed.

I don't recall ever being handed government related stuff and I wouldn't worry until it's handed to me by an officer of the government.
Technically you don't have to sign squat as some of us have said since the beginning of time. The only thing remotely close to being signed by me is my initials next to semi-annual bids and vacation picks.

oldngray

nowhere special
Maybe some locals have a past practice of requiring people to sign most of that meaningless paperwork but in my center you could RTS almost everything.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
We have been told by our union reps anything about safety has to be sign , the rest no

Ask your Union Rep where (in the contract) it says that.

Then refer them to....

National Master UPS

ARTICLE 6. Section 1. Extra Contract Agreements

Except as may be otherwise provided in this Agreement, the Employer agrees not to enter into, or attempt to enter into, any agreement or contract with its employees, either individually or collectively, or to require or attempt to require employees to sign any document, either individually or collectively, which in any way conflicts with the provisions of this Agreement. Any such Agreement or document shall be null and void. Any such agreement or document may not be placed in an employee’s file or used by the Employer as a basis for discipline or used in connection with any disciplinary proceeding, nor may any such agreement or document nor the contents thereof be divulged to any person or entity.

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/Master_UPS_Agreement.pdf

The only thing a driver "has" to sign.... is the DVIR.

Everything else, you can RTS.

-Bug-

We have been told by our union reps anything about safety has to be sign , the rest no

So when you sign that safety stuff and you or someone else gets hurt even when not of your actions will that same union rep be there when they take disciplinary action with that signed paper testifying against you by showing you acknowledged you know better?

jaker

trolling
So when you sign that safety stuff and you or someone else gets hurt even when not of your actions will that same union rep be there when they take disciplinary action with that signed paper testifying against you by showing you acknowledged you know better?
Oh I know what you mean , but they won't defend you because they say you have to sign the safety stuff , I have refused a few times and both my union reps told me I had to sign when management ran to them

Last edited:
Oh I know what you mean , but they won't defend you because they say you have to sign the safety stuff , I have refused a few times and both my union reps told me I had to sign when management ran to them

Man up and RTS.

My mgmt. group is a decent bunch right now. But they know I'll RTS because I've told them a hundred times it's not my immediate mgr who knows me I don't trust. It's some headhunter somewhere who'll ask for a copy of any paperwork looking for ammo.

Never give them anything.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
OK , I agree to rts. I just don't understand why we have to be threatened with termination language in every memo.

was told that the co is really angry with union right now over the retro checks and some other things.

so they treat us like :censored2:?