Is the VT engine the bane of your existence at UPS?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Checking for other mechanics who have had this POS engine forced on them. For me it comprises 20% of my fleet and accounts for about 95% of the engine problems. At any givrn time I have at least 1 at the dealer and I am on a first name basis with everyone there. I am praying for the day we dispose of or repower these vehicles. They are killing us financially. Every visit to the dealer costs several thousand dollars. The service department often calls me for parts!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Try looking up..."UPS Multifuel Stratified Charge Engine Development Program-Field Test," 1978.
It was a test program between UPS and DOT.
The theory was that one could use the old oil drained from the crankcase as fuel to run the engine .
They smelled wicked bad & exploded frequently .

Try looking up..."UPS Multifuel Stratified Charge Engine Development Program-Field Test," 1978.
The theory was that one could use the old oil drained from the crankcase as fuel to run the engine .
I retract my earlier post. This is logistics.

barnyard

KTM rider
That splains it. Those would be the ones that are red tagged during PMIs and my center. Once out of the lineup, usually gone for 2-3 weeks. The newer Freightliners get pretty high praise from the mechanics in my center.

bbsam

Staff member
VT 365 and Ford's 6.0l Powerstroke are basically the same thing. We have a guy who bought the 6 cylinder version. Truck had 80000 miles on it, paid $19000 for it and has put maybe 20000 miles on it and sank another 19 g's into engine repairs. I do have hopes for Ford's new 6.7l.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Which trucks have the VT motors??

The VT engines are found in International package cars from about 2005 and on. P7s,P10s and P12s plus box vans between 05 and about 08 and in a smaller V6 version in P57s. Not aware of any later models in package cars by international.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
VT 365 and Ford's 6.0l Powerstroke are basically the same thing. We have a guy who bought the 6 cylinder version. Truck had 80000 miles on it, paid $19000 for it and has put maybe 20000 miles on it and sank another 19 g's into engine repairs. I do have hopes for Ford's new 6.7l.

Thank God at least the P57s (Workhorse)are being taken away and having the bodies placed on a new chassis with the Chevy driveline. SOOO much good money thrown at the bad.Ford designed the 6.7 themselves and cut their ties with IHC over that steaming pile also known as the 6.0 Powerstroke. Any of you out there looking for a diesel pickup should avoid this one at all costs.

bbsam

Staff member
Have you had any experience working on the Chevy driveline? I had 6.0l Chevy and had constant misfire problems that were never resolved. Also the 4L80E was only rated for about 9000lbs but they put it in a 10500lb truck. I think they have since upgraded their transmissions.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian

I remember reading about these in Popular Science as a kid LOL

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Have you had any experience working on the Chevy driveline? I had 6.0l Chevy and had constant misfire problems that were never resolved. Also the 4L80E was only rated for about 9000lbs but they put it in a 10500lb truck. I think they have since upgraded their transmissions.

The 4L80E in stock form as supplied by MDC is not up to it. As soon as you see the "Component Slipping" fault it has one foot in the grave. I hear beefed up ones from outside suppliers are much better. I only have one of the beefed up one in service so far. Replacing the radiator at the same time is a must. There is a 6 speed(6L90E) in newer Workhorse P5,P57 and P7s. Workhorse P8s and 10s are an entirely different chassis and much sturdier. They have the Allison.
As far as a misfire goes, it could be a million things. If we are talking about a P5,57 or 7 it could have been an engine harness problem.Those units were put together badly and are notorious for chafing in dozens of places. Watch out for broken harness pins at the Throttle Control Module and broken crispy wires at the CKP behind the starter.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
That splains it. Those would be the ones that are red tagged during PMIs and my center. Once out of the lineup, usually gone for 2-3 weeks. The newer Freightliners get pretty high praise from the mechanics in my center.

LOVE my MB904s!!!!!!! not overly powerful, but they keep on going!

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Thank God at least the P57s (Workhorse)are being taken away and having the bodies placed on a new chassis with the Chevy driveline. SOOO much good money thrown at the bad.Ford designed the 6.7 themselves and cut their ties with IHC over that steaming pile also known as the 6.0 Powerstroke. Any of you out there looking for a diesel pickup should avoid this one at all costs.
The 6.0 & 6.4 too. What junk. I've got a couple of friends with those. Costing them thousands, 10's of thousands, in repairs. I've still got an original 7.3 powerstroke. What a great motor that is. All I've done is regular maintenance to that thing. Of course, at 17 years old, the motor has outlasted the truck.

wornoutupser

We dont have to worry about those for at least 10 more years! My center is the one that cars are sent to to die. We just got in several of the old high step P10's that start with 109! WAHOO!!!

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
The 6.0 & 6.4 too. What junk. I've got a couple of friends with those. Costing them thousands, 10's of thousands, in repairs. I've still got an original 7.3 powerstroke. What a great motor that is. All I've done is regular maintenance to that thing. Of course, at 17 years old, the motor has outlasted the truck.

they are great. I just replaced all eight injectors and the bowls they sit in. About $1800 but running as good as ener now with just over 400000 miles.