Is the VT engine the bane of your existence at UPS?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
We dont have to worry about those for at least 10 more years! My center is the one that cars are sent to to die. We just got in several of the old high step P10's that start with 109! WAHOO!!!

Acually, I have plenty of those too....got a couple with 102 numbers. Fortunately they are being ADA'd now whenever something expensive comes up like an engine. All I need is a Cummins ISB and my collection will be complete. I have had up to 13 different engines to deal with. Got rid of the old 5 digit hydrovac cars when the frames started to come through the floor a few years ago. I understand I will be getting more old GMCs to take up the slack while my P57s are being remade. Isn't technology great?? Fleet consolodation? What's that??

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Im lost with all the shop talk and abbreviations. I drive a Freightliner p700 hitch car, I believe its a 2006, and I think it has a Mercedes engine in it? Its a good car, just kind of gutless. How are these holding up?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Sheesh...We got rid of our old fords a few years ago...the ones that started with 316. After that it was bye bye to the old pos 700's that started with 651 and 652. We had only one p10 that had a big block v8 in it...thing hauled balls it was a 114 but had a gas motor that was a beast...our 57's are a joke. Broken frames...radiator brackets break. The motors seem to do ok. We have the gas gm motors. I think they're 4.7? Some of the 5's and the new 7 have a 6 liter...those have some snort to em...but are computer locked at 67 mph...sucks when the speed limit is 70. We have a few of the old 4.3 trucks. 101's and 102's...even 1 800 with the 4.3. Good motors those...just gutless.

sortaisle

Im lost with all the shop talk and abbreviations. I drive a Freightliner p700 hitch car, I believe its a 2006, and I think it has a Mercedes engine in it? Its a good car, just kind of gutless. How are these holding up?
We used to have the 47's with the Mercedes motors in them...the rear ends would fry real quick like...although it's because a few of the drivers were only chaining up on wheel and it would spin the spider gears in the rear ends. Stupid people...we had one guy who was extended. He idled up and down the road it seemed...never in a hurry. For sure 100k club guy. Never had a repair order on it. It went 140000 miles with just maintenance, tires, brakes and 1 front axle. Depends on how you use em.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Sorry.. my thread was aimed at mechanics. The one you have is the MB904 I love so much. Yes, it is a "mercedes" but Detroit Diesel has a big hand in it. You are fortunate to have it.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
We used to have the 47's with the Mercedes motors in them...the rear ends would fry real quick like...although it's because a few of the drivers were only chaining up on wheel and it would spin the spider gears in the rear ends. Stupid people...we had one guy who was extended. He idled up and down the road it seemed...never in a hurry. For sure 100k club guy. Never had a repair order on it. It went 140000 miles with just maintenance, tires, brakes and 1 front axle. Depends on how you use em.

All the old P47 and 57 Sprinters are being crushed for exactly that reason. Can't take the hammering. If you want to see how tough your product is, let UPS automotive try it!

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Sheesh...We got rid of our old fords a few years ago...the ones that started with 316. After that it was bye bye to the old pos 700's that started with 651 and 652. We had only one p10 that had a big block v8 in it...thing hauled balls it was a 114 but had a gas motor that was a beast...our 57's are a joke. Broken frames...radiator brackets break. The motors seem to do ok. We have the gas gm motors. I think they're 4.7? Some of the 5's and the new 7 have a 6 liter...those have some snort to em...but are computer locked at 67 mph...sucks when the speed limit is 70. We have a few of the old 4.3 trucks. 101's and 102's...even 1 800 with the 4.3. Good motors those...just gutless.

I have 1 old P1 with the Ford 429. Those things were great! Understressed,lots of power,last 300k+ and they never leak oil! Driver loves it and says very little to complain. The P57s you speak of are VERY fragile in the chassis department. Radiators crack open due to flex and the front spring hangers on the driver side like to break away due to inadequate bolts. The 6.0's got lotsa balls but had oiling(fail) isssues before corporate swicthed us to the lighter 10W30 for everything.

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
The Dealer calls them "boat anchors", and it's their product. I was told 250,000 miles would be pretty good for this engine, but most don't last that long. They are next in line for conversion when the VT275 is complete.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The Dealer calls them "boat anchors", and it's their product. I was told 250,000 miles would be pretty good for this engine, but most don't last that long. They are next in line for conversion when the VT275 is complete.
My dealership is completely aware what a pile the 365 is too. Any idea what it will be replaced with? I haven't heard anything on the subject, but it can't come soon enough. I could be doing so many other things I think my drivers would appreciate.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
they are great. I just replaced all eight injectors and the bowls they sit in. About $1800 but running as good as ener now with just over 400000 miles.

I often joked at the dealer if they had any of those laying about that they could replace the vt engine with that I had just dropped off. I agree. Great engine also.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
They sold about 250,000 Ford 6.0 & 6.4 liters and not all of them had problems (though arguably more than is typical). Plenty of F250's & 350's of that genre on the road in AZ. I think part of the problem is the redneck factor, where these tools think they are driving a Mack truck and just "hammer down" all the time after modifying the engine with programmers & exhaust. Only issue I've ever had is an EGR warranty repair.

I'm amazed anything holds up at UPS as corporate doesn't let anyone do proper warm-ups or cool downs. Then once you are out on road in a package car it's just mash the thottle-stop-start-mash the throttle-repeat. Aren't the same engines in the shifters? Those seem to never break down.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
They sold about 250,000 Ford 6.0 & 6.4 liters and not all of them had problems (though arguably more than is typical). Plenty of F250's & 350's of that genre on the road in AZ. I think part of the problem is the redneck factor, where these tools think they are driving a Mack truck and just "hammer down" all the time after modifying the engine with programmers & exhaust. Only issue I've ever had is an EGR warranty repair.

I'm amazed anything holds up at UPS as corporate doesn't let anyone do proper warm-ups or cool downs. Then once you are out on road in a package car it's just mash the thottle-stop-start-mash the throttle-repeat. Aren't the same engines in the shifters? Those seem to never break down.

Far as I know these aren't found in the shifters. All I have seen are Cummins powered except for 1 old pile I had to use when I first started work at UPS. It had a Detroit-Allison 8.2 V8. Another crappy engine. There is an excellent video on Youtube that explains the whole mess and politics about the 6.0. It mentions that the engine was never meant for what it got used for. Do NOT try to put the hot tune programs on them without a headstud kit.

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
My dealership is completely aware what a pile the 365 is too. Any idea what it will be replaced with? I haven't heard anything on the subject, but it can't come soon enough. I could be doing so many other things I think my drivers would appreciate.

On most cars it would be a GM 6.0, but I haven't heard what they would use for the 1200's. Maybe the 8.1?

sortaisle

I think because of federal regs on exhaust we've seen the end of the diesel motor for package car until a nice clean one comes out that's cheap. So look forward to the GM 6.0 liter for years to come. Plenty of power for p12's.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I think because of federal regs on exhaust we've seen the end of the diesel motor for package car until a nice clean one comes out that's cheap. So look forward to the GM 6.0 liter for years to come. Plenty of power for p12's.
Emissions is the whole reason I even have the 904s. They were sent to my area when they didn't pass new standards in Cali.