Is there a push to save fuel?

trickpony1

In Feeders, our idle time (all time tractor is running but moving less than 7mph) is tracked and we see it the next day. We are told to shut it down when it's not moving (waiting for dock, etc).

The manufacturer states the engine should be run for 3 minutes before shutting it off in order to cool the turbo. We are told to shut it off immediately to save fuel. If we are doing something simple like hooking/unhooking from a trailer we are still instructed to turn it off. This causes the turbo to get hot and unnecessary cycles on the $500 starter (this doesn't include labor costs and tractor down time) causes wear and tear and decreases the life of the starter and turbo.
I have talked to knowledgeable people who say that, at idle, a tractor burns .75 to1.00 gallon of fuel.
I would gladly pay my dispatcher $4 a day for 60 minutes of idle time to keep the turbo, starter and me (air conditioner) cool but then you have to consider who we are dealing with.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Any kids in the area?
No kids in yards or on the street in neighborhood until after 5:00pm. They're usually at the Country Club pool with their Mom or Nanny. I was always the last person to come home from work in the evening.

The P700 today was an older one but it was still idling along..

raceanoncr

Oh, yeah. In feeders, we got the push last week that diesel is now over 4 bucks so shut it down whenever you can. I said, " I already do! The key goes off down every hill!".

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Upstate, my bad. I do believe it's OK to shuttle ground pkgs, just not deliver them. I would rather see an air driver moving boxes than a supe. PAS doesn't save fuel. Implementing PAS correctly saves fuel.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If you want to save fuel, start heavily promoting NDA Saver that can be delivered on trace. Most residential customers do not need their NDA package by 10:30. I have driven 30 miles to make service on a 10:30 NDA for a residential customer who didnt even get home to his package until after 5:00. We need to start heavily advertising NDA Saver service as a "fuel economy" measure, I suspect that a lot of enviornmentally consious customers would insist upon the saver option if they knew that they were saving fuel and reducing pollution by doing so.

Mike Hawk

A lot of internet companies don't offer NDA saver, and I found one where the saver actualy cost $2 more than the NDA with 10:30 commit...

mathematics

Upstate, my bad. I do believe it's OK to shuttle ground pkgs, just not deliver them. I would rather see an air driver moving boxes than a supe. PAS doesn't save fuel. Implementing PAS correctly saves fuel.

yea, true. i guess a lot of centers have bad implementations, and that's why a lot of people complain about it. correct implementations do save fuel. we have drivers in my division saving 20+ miles per day on their routes.

mountaingoat

About 10 years ago they converted every p800 in our fleet to propane,mine included ,with almost 700,000 km on it.Theres a little guage by the tank that is very accurate.I often have to refill it myself if they forget.All the new trucks are diesels,maybe we should go propane .
All I know is that it costs almost $60 to fill up my nissan sentra when it used to be closer to $45.I wonder how much it costs to take an friend-18 jet out for an hour...or a 1970 hemi-cuda for that matter

FYI - A Boeing 767-200ER's maximum fuel capacity is 23,980 gallons. With Jet A at around $4.80/gallon, it would cost you a whopping $115,104 to fill up if you ran the tank dry (not that you would ever do that in an airplane).

PS - I don't know if they offer a discount for cash :-)

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
In Feeders, our idle time (all time tractor is running but moving less than 7mph) is tracked and we see it the next day. We are told to shut it down when it's not moving (waiting for dock, etc).

BUT......
Have you ever watched the shifters? Sometimes they wait 20 minutes to get a move, and the tractors running the whole time!
BUT WE NEVER LET IT RUN IN A HEATWAVE DID WE OVAH!!!!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Notice To Management....... Try Shutting Off The A.c In The Office All Day When Your Reading Over The Reports For 5 Mins. And Making Lunch And Golf Plans The Other 9 Hrs

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I used to think air drivers couldn't transport ground but where does it say that in the contract?

Article 40. An exception air driver is to deliver packages that the regular driver cannot service due to the commit time, e.g. I have 20 nextday air stops and can only service 15 by 10:30 commit, 5 stops are now exception air stops. This doesn't include PLIBs of any service level or misloads or bulk stops held in the building. I waited 8 years for a full time job and take it seriously when management uses part timers to supliment their full time operation. If enough people grieve this issue it will become cost ineffective and full time driver jobs will be protected. Paying twice for the same work will get costly.

UPS negotiates contracts in supposed good faith but seemingly never intends to abide by them.

FromBluetoBrown

I overheard the center manager during the driver PCM that starting tomorrow morning most of the next day airs will be spa'd in with the bulk stops so as to save trips therefore conserving gas. I dont see the difference my drivers tell me to load certain airs with bulk stops anyways.

bellesotico

BOXstar
Article 40. An exception air driver is to deliver packages that the regular driver cannot service due to the commit time, e.g. I have 20 nextday air stops and can only service 15 by 10:30 commit, 5 stops are now exception air stops. This doesn't include PLIBs of any service level or misloads or bulk stops held in the building. I waited 8 years for a full time job and take it seriously when management uses part timers to supliment their full time operation. If enough people grieve this issue it will become cost ineffective and full time driver jobs will be protected. Paying twice for the same work will get costly.

UPS negotiates contracts in supposed good faith but seemingly never intends to abide by them.

Wouldn't you rather see your union brothers/sisters get the work than a sup?
I mean really..ups isn't going to change how they operate. If you grieve them using air drivers..they will just do it themselves.

Oh but wait..what do you have to lose right? You can grieve that too and get paid.

Oh..and "cost ineffective"??? Surely you jest..what the **** does ups do that isn't cost ineffective???

Air drivers can deliver 2day too. They just can't deliver ground, but our air drivers shuttle ground to driver. They shuttle air and ground together. They also shuttle misloads.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I used to think air drivers couldn't transport ground but where does it say that in the contract?

Article 40. A part time air exception driver is ONLY allowed to make service on air packages that the full time driver cannot service due to time commitments. An example would be I have 20 air stops and can only make 15 by 10:30. The extra 5 are exceptions and can be delivered by part time exception air drivers. Shuttling misloads, bulk stops, PLIB's, etc. are blatant contractual violations and should not be tolerated. As a full time driver that waited 8 yrs for my chance, I simply will not tolerate this in my center. I file whenever I see it happen.

UPS supposedly negotiates our contracts in good faith then operate like it is printed on toilet paper.