Is there a specific number of FT Drivers per center via the contract?

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
Hey, I've been a cover driver for the last year or so, and am really looking forward to being full time and would like some information.

At my center, we had one driver who retired a few days ago, another who is supposed to retire on Dec 24, and another which might retire in the beginning of next year. They put out a bid sheet for FT Driver position(s). Is there a certain number of FT Drivers that my center has to have per the contract? My center manager said even though he's losing two FT drivers (at least), he wasn't sure that his higher up's would let him replace even one of them until April or so. Anyone have any information that can help me out ?

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Hey, I've been a cover driver for the last year or so, and am really looking forward to being full time and would like some information.

At my center, we had one driver who retired a few days ago, another who is supposed to retire on Dec 24, and another which might retire in the beginning of next year. They put out a bid sheet for FT Driver position(s). Is there a certain number of FT Drivers that my center has to have per the contract? My center manager said even though he's losing two FT drivers (at least), he wasn't sure that his higher up's would let him replace even one of them until April or so. Anyone have any information that can help me out ?

As far as I know there is nothing in writing that states how many FT drivers a center has to maintain.Sorry,I know that's not the answer you were looking for.

barnyard

KTM rider
As far as I know there is nothing in writing that states how many FT drivers a center has to maintain.Sorry,I know that's not the answer you were looking for.

Plus, the contract specifically states that retirees can be replaced as economic conditions dictate.

Economic conditions what they are, even if they put up the bid and you sign it, could still be a year before you get your 30 consecutive days in (the 30 have to be done outside the 'free periods.')

TB

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
Plus, the contract specifically states that retirees can be replaced as economic conditions dictate.

Economic conditions what they are, even if they put up the bid and you sign it, could still be a year before you get your 30 consecutive days in (the 30 have to be done outside the 'free periods.')

TB
What are the "30 consecutive days"? In the last 15 months I've driven... 208 days, and 145 this calendar year (I keep very good records haha).

And yes, the posts here have been answering my questions.

We don't have statewide bidsheets, they're center by center, and yes I know that anyone with more seniority than me in my center can be picked ahead of me. The last... 2 or 3 full time drivers we've added were from the local sort, which pisses the cover drivers off (the ones with decent cover driver senority who usually drive a lot). Of the cover drivers I have the second highest seniorty, which means I get to drive more than the other cover drivers, but the economy the way it is now, I'm not driving nearly enough.

I had been told by our union stewart that if a cover drives 210 days in a calander year then the center is obligated to add one full time driver. Not add the driver who drove 210 days, but just make a position available. Can anyone put some concrete behind that for me?

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
Man thats too bad. To think that they skip over someone they don't have to spend the time with on road... who already has area knowledge... Who already knows the 340 methods...Good Luck

rod

Retired 22 years
I think the contract reads something like-- all centers shall be understaffed with delivery drivers by at least 20%:peaceful:

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
Man thats too bad. To think that they skip over someone they don't have to spend the time with on road... who already has area knowledge... Who already knows the 340 methods...Good Luck
Yeah it is... We even had one guy who had driven a couple Saturday's, then they made him full time because he had the seniority for it, he then got disqualified during his 30 days. UPS could have saved all that hassle if they would have just moved one of the several experienced cover drivers... but seniority is what it is. Bah.

BrownSuit

Yeah it is... We even had one guy who had driven a couple Saturday's, then they made him full time because he had the seniority for it, he then got disqualified during his 30 days. UPS could have saved all that hassle if they would have just moved one of the several experienced cover drivers... but seniority is what it is. Bah.

I'm guessing that your center manager would have preferred to have not made him a FT Driver either, especially with a lack of experience, however your bone to pick is with the Teamsters, not UPS.

I doubt that you will see any changes to the seniority language in five years during the next contract negotiations though. One thing that you have to look forward to is that you will hopefully be a FT Driver at that point.

Back to your original question, I'm assuming that you are at the Tallahassee Center from your profile, are they not seeing any increases from state business as a result of DHL? It was my understanding that DHL had the state contract.

I've heard that they (the State of Florida) are in trouble economically, but I would think that some additional volume from a state government, usually one of the largest employers in a State Capital, would do something to boost the workload.

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
BrownSuit, yeah I know it's not UPS specifically that I have a bone to pick... in fact I suppose that I don't have a REAL bone to pick with anyone... it's just the way the system works, and eventually it will work in my favor, it isn't just yet though.

One of my on-roads said in passing that I'd be FT by Thanksgiving next year, but he doesn't make the rules. I certainly hope that he's right.

I don't know what business we'll be picking up from DHL, I do however know that during almost every PCM we have, DHL is brought up and how we need to clean up everything that they're losing. It'd be interesting to talk to some of the supes' or other drivers about any State contracts that you're talking about. Just about everyone is in trouble economically, I can only hope Obama can begin some policies and procedures which will start us back on the upswing.