Is there a union recourse to refuse more work?

Johney

MY advice would be to slow down and take your lunch and breaks than you wouldn't have to help the other drivers or driver.
That's not always the case. Got a buddy in package who no matter what has to help 3 outta 5 days a week whether he's done at 17:00 or 20:00 he's still helping someone. He'll cook it one day and get burned and slug it the next and still get burned. They own us for at least 12hours a day(some days more). Don't like it? McD's is always hiring.

tacken

UPS rules, the hard workers get more work off the lazy driver's. So slow down find your groove so you are not there pack mule. Work safe that way they cant say anything to you. And if they due, say are you telling me to work unsafe!!!!!!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
UPS rules, the hard workers get more work off the lazy driver's. So slow down find your groove so you are not there pack mule. Work safe that way they cant say anything to you. And if they due, say are you telling me to work unsafe!!!!!!
I don't mean to pick on you but the lack of knowledge of the English language online is making me sick.

Is there, their, and they're really that hard of a concept? How about too and to?

Know and no? Do and due? I thought these were things about any middle school kid should know.

Once again not aimed directly at you. Just something I have been noticing more and more of.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
"Work as instructed, and file later"

Unfortunately for you, you cannot file anything in your situation. As a cover driver for 8 months without your own route, you aren't entitled to 9.5 protection. The new contract would grant it to anyone with over 4 years of FT driving. You're a few months away from that.

196 stops needs to take you 10 hours, no less. Take your full lunch in one block everyday, and do it to where your lunch will conclude during evening rush hour when everyone is trying to get home, that will slow you down for a good bit.

20 stops an hour AT BEST is a good, steady pace for you as a new driver (especially a mostly resi route) , it'll keep management off your back for a while.

Now, 20 an hour is a stop every 3 minutes. So, when you really want to stick them, hold to that and sheet a package no sooner than 3 minutes apart. I don't care if one is apartment b and one is apartment c. 3 minutes between them. You can leave each package in the truck and walk back out to make it so that you aren't stealing time.

Slow down, follow all the methods, and be VERY safe, that's the most they can ask for

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I don't mean to pick on you but the lack of knowledge of the English language online is making me sick.

Is there, their, and they're really that hard of a concept? How about too and to?

Know and no? Do and due? I thought these were things about any middle school kid should know.

Once again not aimed directly at you. Just something I have been noticing more and more of.

ooh, cum on budy, y is it such a big deel? ive been typing like dat 4ever, theirs no need too get upset

tacken

Not a problem have more impotant things to worry about. I work at UPS.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Cut him a little slack. He did get "to" correct.

By The Book

That's not always the case. Got a buddy in package who no matter what has to help 3 outta 5 days a week whether he's done at 17:00 or 20:00 he's still helping someone. He'll cook it one day and get burned and slug it the next and still get burned. They own us for at least 12hours a day(some days more). Don't like it? McD's is always hiring.
Consistency is the key. In most situations the drivers who are rushing thru their day will be the ones who have to help others. One reason is basic, there are drivers over dispatched that need help and the ones that are finished early are available. Is there a small percentage that rely on this help, probably. Is there a small percentage of drivers who finish early to go get more work, probably. Is this perpetuated by the management team to some degree, probably.

barnyard

KTM rider
The OP needs to look at the appropriate supplement. In some areas, the bottom 10% do not have a lot of rights to refuse additional work. The work should be offered by seniority, even though it rarely it, but he/she may not have a choice regarding extra work. May have to just suck it up till he/she moves farther up the seniority list.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Consistency is the key.

I found that the best way to do it was to "surprise" them. Take the same number of stops, say 140. One day it might take you 8 1/4 hours, but the next time the same 140 will take you 10 hours. If they don't know what to expect from you, they'll have a hard time loading you up, because they don't know which version of you will show up that day

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Follow all the methods, and be VERY safe.

That's good advice.

Consistency is the key.

Yep.

The OP needs to look at the appropriate supplement.

As always. :biggrin:

The applicable, Central Region language.

"Drivers shall not be disciplined for refusing to go back out on the street once they have returned to the building, after having completed their full day’s work."

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

-Bug-

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Well thursday was light, 130 stops, mostly residential. I took a half hour lunch and get the call to help at 4 when I finished.

Friday was 160, same mostly residential route. Done at 4:45. Same half hour lunch break.

Usually when I finish I take my last half of break. Go to a corporate building to wash up and use the bathroom. I can't sit for an hour. Well I can, but I also don't want to be cold and in the dark.

I don't speed, its been :censored2: weather for weeks now. Its not hard you know? If I know where the stop is, as soon as a stop is done I forget about it, and next stop is what's up. 20 stops an hour is what I shoot for and that's not hard to surpass. I take my time and don't want to hurt myself. End of the day a 20 pound box ends up feeling like 40 pounds you know? Some days take 9 hours, some days take less. FT cover driver of 8 months.

Not concerned about that really though. Its seldom I get told to pick up extra.

Its more about today. I worked the driver job, (white out conditions at 3 p.m. by the way, only 80 stops done in 7 hours, that is not speeding) now I am required to work local sort when they deem necessary?
What time do you start if you are finishing at 4 or 5.......if you are starting at because if you start after 830 you need more work to get you 8 hours........they usually want new drivers with less than 4 years on the road for 10 hrs......I don't know if you have 9.5 protection under the contract

O

OLDMAN3

"Work as instructed, and file later"

Unfortunately for you, you cannot file anything in your situation. As a cover driver for 8 months without your own route, you aren't entitled to 9.5 protection. The new contract would grant it to anyone with over 4 years of FT driving. You're a few months away from that.

Not true. If he is covering the same route for an entire week he can file a 9.5 grievance. Management will try to tell the cover drivers with less than 4 year in that they can't file, but it is not true.

letticesandwich

Pardon a delayed response. A long week with snow and highs of 22 degrees.

Well, about the forced to work local sort, I saw the union business agent the next day. He said because only 7 of the 25 local sort showed up, under the contract, I was required to work local sort. Ask from top, force from bottom. So okay, that's what it is.

For what its worth, thank you all for the suggestions about the use of time. It actually worked. Monday was a blizzard, so tuesday was a 169 stop split route between 3 towns. Yay. But wednesday I was able to enact some of the advice. Done with the same split route of about 135 stops around 5 that day. Green light, call the center. I call and sup says go help another. I say sure, after the rest of my lunch and my breaks. So not moving till 6.

By the time I got to the meet point (it was near a mall at 6 p.m. rush hour) The other driver only had 5 stops to give me. To maneuver through all that mall traffic, go and deliver in the dark and snowbanks, then drive back, UPS basically paid me an hour and a half of overtime to deliver 5 stops. Next day I was not asked to help anyone.

I cannot attest to the 9.5 rules, or wanting under 4 year drivers to work a 10 hour day. I'll bring up the 10 day thing though because of something I saw during the summer. I was covering a route for months, the bid driver had shoulder surgery. Upon getting my paycheck one week, I had 49 and 1/4 hours worked. Also 3/4 hour of time bonus pay. Which made me think that I had been scheduled 10 hour days all week then. 49 hour weeks didnt happen often but that time bonus after working basically 10 hour days was surprising.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Not true. If he is covering the same route for an entire week he can file a 9.5 grievance. Management will try to tell the cover drivers with less than 4 year in that they can't file, but it is not true.

I do believe you're wrong. At least in my local, to get away with that, the person who's route you were on ALSO needed to be on the 9.5 list.

I still haven't been able to get a copy of the new contract yet, so I can't verify it, but I'm pretty sure you're wrong

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Pardon a delayed response. A long week with snow and highs of 22 degrees.

Well, about the forced to work local sort, I saw the union business agent the next day. He said because only 7 of the 25 local sort showed up, under the contract, I was required to work local sort. Ask from top, force from bottom. So okay, that's what it is.

For what its worth, thank you all for the suggestions about the use of time. It actually worked. Monday was a blizzard, so tuesday was a 169 stop split route between 3 towns. Yay. But wednesday I was able to enact some of the advice. Done with the same split route of about 135 stops around 5 that day. Green light, call the center. I call and sup says go help another. I say sure, after the rest of my lunch and my breaks. So not moving till 6.

By the time I got to the meet point (it was near a mall at 6 p.m. rush hour) The other driver only had 5 stops to give me. To maneuver through all that mall traffic, go and deliver in the dark and snowbanks, then drive back, UPS basically paid me an hour and a half of overtime to deliver 5 stops. Next day I was not asked to help anyone.

I cannot attest to the 9.5 rules, or wanting under 4 year drivers to work a 10 hour day. I'll bring up the 10 day thing though because of something I saw during the summer. I was covering a route for months, the bid driver had shoulder surgery. Upon getting my paycheck one week, I had 49 and 1/4 hours worked. Also 3/4 hour of time bonus pay. Which made me think that I had been scheduled 10 hour days all week then. 49 hour weeks didnt happen often but that time bonus after working basically 10 hour days was surprising.
The 10 hours I was referring to was basically saying they want guys 4 years and under working more than top rate guys because they make less so you will always be sent to help people