Is there a union recourse to refuse more work?

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

I read your post which I replied to coming to the conclusion you only had the 4 years seniority. That's why I only referenced the 4 year language, just for you. Your post starts out sounding like you think you can file if your on a different route everyday as long as you work 10 hours each day. I thought your post was a bit unclear. I hope my additional knowledge on the 4 year seniority helps to clarify this for you. Now that you are a driver with 4 years seniority you do know you don't have to worry about the other requirements right?
What you stated is exactly what I thought.......I was under the impression you needed 4 years seniority to file and morion said you can file with under 4 years that was the question...........I am always interested in other peoples interpretations of contract language

By The Book

What you stated is exactly what I thought.......I was under the impression you needed 4 years seniority to file and morion said you can file with under 4 years that was the question...........I am always interested in other peoples interpretations of contract language
Are you a steward? Sounds like you like to help people with information and want to understand how things work. Knowledge is power my friend.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Are you a steward? Sounds like you like to help people with information and want to understand how things work. Knowledge is power my friend.
I am......fairly new(2 years in)always looking for an edge that will help make changes........and if I am understanding something wrong in the contract I have to make an adjustment......what do you think about the drivers with less than 4 years can they file and win?i know they can file you can file anything winning the grievence is what I am concerned with...lol

By The Book

I am......fairly new(2 years in)always looking for an edge that will help make changes........and if I am understanding something wrong in the contract I have to make an adjustment......what do you think about the drivers with less than 4 years can they file and win?i know they can file you can file anything winning the grievence is what I am concerned with...lol
If your locals BA is filing grievances and has no problem with this( discouraging you) then I would say they are winnable. This is new language and if you talk out the process with your BA so you have a plan in place you will have more success. You may pay attention to when guys are on vacation for more than a week, and if a less than 4 year driver gets the bid or is assigned to the route and is moved from the route, and not wanting to be moved, these may be a few things to look at. You can also post this on your union board and point the guys in that direction. Remember these under 4 year guys have to qualify first.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

If your locals BA is filing grievances and has no problem with this( discouraging you) then I would say they are winnable. This is new language and if you talk out the process with your BA so you have a plan in place you will have more success. You may pay attention to when guys are on vacation for more than a week, and if a less than 4 year driver gets the bid or is assigned to the route and is moved from the route, and not wanting to be moved, these may be a few things to look at. You can also post this on your union board and point the guys in that direction. Remember these under 4 year guys have to qualify first.
I agree thanks for the input

neiko

Crushers get more work . Stop truck at 12 or 1 everyday and leave work for after 5 , and when they ask u say I got 20 left . It will stop .

calcio56

Soo say I work a full week on the same route. One of the five days I come in at 9.5, the other four days I'm over 9.5.

I have only been driving a year.

Can I file a grievance?

BrownTexas

That's not always the case. Got a buddy in package who no matter what has to help 3 outta 5 days a week whether he's done at 17:00 or 20:00 he's still helping someone. He'll cook it one day and get burned and slug it the next and still get burned. They own us for at least 12hours a day(some days more). Don't like it? McD's is always hiring.
It's called a 9.5 list. Don't like it, get on it.

By The Book

Soo say I work a full week on the same route. One of the five days I come in at 9.5, the other four days I'm over 9.5.

I have only been driving a year.

Can I file a grievance?
Not to get too technical but 9.5 according to ups is over 9.5. In your example you worked 5 days over 9.5. If you show 9.49 or less you worked under 9.5. I agree you qualified and can get on the list. Talk to your steward, fill out the form and send a copy to your local and keep a copy for yourself, if that's how your paperwork flows.

"Work as instructed, and file later"

Unfortunately for you, you cannot file anything in your situation. As a cover driver for 8 months without your own route, you aren't entitled to 9.5 protection. The new contract would grant it to anyone with over 4 years of FT driving. You're a few months away from that.

196 stops needs to take you 10 hours, no less. Take your full lunch in one block everyday, and do it to where your lunch will conclude during evening rush hour when everyone is trying to get home, that will slow you down for a good bit.

20 stops an hour AT BEST is a good, steady pace for you as a new driver (especially a mostly resi route) , it'll keep management off your back for a while.

Now, 20 an hour is a stop every 3 minutes. So, when you really want to stick them, hold to that and sheet a package no sooner than 3 minutes apart. I don't care if one is apartment b and one is apartment c. 3 minutes between them. You can leave each package in the truck and walk back out to make it so that you aren't stealing time.

Slow down, follow all the methods, and be VERY safe, that's the most they can ask for
Asking for the bullseye to be placed on your back