is there any chance of 25 and out at any age next contract?

Re-Raise

"

Our sup says if you use the methods correctly you could technically do this job till your 80

Sups say a lot of things. It may be different in some places but our part-time years count toward a separate pension that you receive along with your teamster pension at age 65. You have to have 5 years in to be vested.

710 steward

Absolutely not true.

The job is more difficult and demanding. I think that is what he really means. Ones ability to preform at the level today vs 20 years ago is clearly different. Putting a time table on how long career will last may be a mistake but the odds are that package car drivers probably cannot last 30 years today vs in the past.

purplesky

I have to be honest I am totally amazed when I talk to people at work and they are so sure they are going to have a pension 25 years from now. Will we? Maybe or maybe not. Some don't have any other plans of saving up on their own. Some don't have a separate 401k. They just think their ups/teamster pension will be there for sure and thats all they need. I'm counting on and planning for it not to be there. Hope I'm wrong but if I'm not, at least I won't be worried when I'm ready to retire from this gig. The pension is nice don't get me wrong. But seriously, if u can't trust the union to fight hard for u now what's it going to be like in 25 years?

If this Republican billionaire funded anti-union movement continues yes are pension might be gone in 20 years.

YOU ARE THE UNION. WE ALL ARE. So do you trust yourself to fight the fight if UPS chooses to go to war with the Teamsters on a future contract negotiation that attempts to eliminate OUR TEAMSTER PENSION?

American workers are getting crushed by corporate America and paid for Republicans and you are worried about the Teamsters? WTF?

The union is just trying to keep this whole :censored2: house alive in 2014.:wink2:

ups1990

Jumpman, I've been saying the same thing for the last few years. No way on GOD's green earth that anyone who started driving 5 years ago will make it to peer 80 here in So Cal. We're all dealing with a new animal in UPS. The workload is through the roof and the strain on the mind and body will eventually wear all of us down. I can't see a twenty-something new driver reaching retirement age. Could pensions be a thing of the past?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I tell all new really young drivers to stay super debt free, and stuff that 401k or ira to the max every week and get at least 10 years in but try to get 15 to 20 in for a decent pension and roll out of here after that and get another job til they can get their pension at 55 or 57 whatever it is under the contract they were hired under. This job aint no joke nowadays. That's the difference between being able to walk or being crippled for the rest of your life or being like the 6 million dollar man. That's the truth and a grimm reality of what it has come to. Sad but true.

jumpman23 said:
I tell all new really young drivers to stay super debt free, and stuff that 401k or ira to the max every week and get at least 10 years in but try to get 15 to 20 in for a decent pension and roll out of here after that and get another job til they can get their pension at 55 or 57 whatever it is under the contract they were hired under. This job aint no joke nowadays. That's the difference between being able to walk or being crippled for the rest of your life or being like the 6 million dollar man. That's the truth and a grimm reality of what it has come to. Sad but true.
You act like this job, is hard!:bsbullf:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
48d430c6-f89b-4d3c-bb0b-25fba64e50ed_980x551.jpg
Nah its easy lol.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Well...in your local Jump...it's 55 and out, right? So, if I started there say at 18...i gotta put in 37 to retire?? That is Freaking nuts!

purplesky

Package car has always been hard.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Oh hell yeah your right. But some locals do have 25 and out but a lot do not. The ones who do not have that, have weak :censored2: local and members and that will not change, Even the locals that do have 25 and out, I highly doubt that even if you started driving at say 21, and are hired after say 2005 when all hell really broke loose, their not going to make it physically. Jobs too hard on your body nowadays.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Jump, keep in mind that if you leave before you reach normal retirement age you can't start receiving pension payments until you turn 65.

Sent using BrownCafe App

upschuck

I have to be honest I am totally amazed when I talk to people at work and they are so sure they are going to have a pension 25 years from now. Will we? Maybe or maybe not. Some don't have any other plans of saving up on their own. Some don't have a separate 401k. They just think their ups/teamster pension will be there for sure and thats all they need. I'm counting on and planning for it not to be there. Hope I'm wrong but if I'm not, at least I won't be worried when I'm ready to retire from this gig. The pension is nice don't get me wrong. But seriously, if u can't trust the union to fight hard for u now what's it going to be like in 25 years?
My pension is guaranteed. See more here It is not as much as if it didn't go under, but believe it is about 75%.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
These idiots are freakin nuttz dude. The thing of it is, the jobs super cool. They just make you hate the job with the excessive work and retarded hours, on top of treating grown men and women like a bunch of retards ya know.

I still get amazed that people complain and place the majority of blame on the pension with UPS. Up in New England, we pay into the pension fund based on hours paid (with a max of 40). I know back in 94 time frame, we contributed about $2.60/hr into the pension fund, now I believe it's about $5.00/hr into the pension fund. At $5/hr thats $200/week or $10,400/yr assuming you get paid 40 hrs (or more) each week. I know oversight of the pension fund is half employers, half teamsters. But for the employers, UPS only has a portion of the vote. Many other employers pay less then what UPS contributes. Also, think of all the part timers who UPS contributes for (In New England, Part time is in the same pension fund). but doesn't stay the 5 years it takes to vest. Think of all that money that goes into the pot. That money has been seriously mismanaged.

I agree, I actually think the Co. is putting a huge sum in that pension, its just been poorly invested. 'd love to be paying only 200 a week into the pension. Here in chicago, we are paying 401.00 per week currently and its proposed to go to 601.00 weekly at the end of this contract.

beentheredonethat

I think we pay close to that (or maybe more now). Those numbers were from 1994 when I had access to that information. That's 20 years ago. I'm sure it's gone up big time.