Is there anything I can do?

Boznok77

I have been a driver for just over 4 months now. For the past few weeks, my supervisors have been calling me and telling me that another center 20 miles away needs me. I have been going down there and going out blind almost everyday because I don't know the area at all. I heard this might last for the next few months.

I have a problem with this because this was not the building/center that I applied to work at. Everyday, I drop my daughter off at the babysitter at 8am and head into work. I am always on time and never late. Ever since I have been told to go to the new building, I am about 20-30 minutes late everyday because I have to drive further and there is always traffic on the two major highways. Everyday I am told I have to start showing up on time because there are late airs almost everyday.

When I wanted to go driving, I didn't put my name on that building driving list because I knew I could never make it on time with my situation. I only applied to the one I knew I would be able to be at on time. I also have an older car and hate putting more miles and wear and tear into when I shouldn't have too.

I have been told that I have to go down to the other building because you have to follow directions and work were needed. I was just wondering if that was true and if so, is there anything I can do otherwise?

I don't think they can send u to a different center but being that it's only 20 miles away I'm not sure. It does sound like the only work available so maybe in a small tiny way this is a good thing for your wallet

I'd work where directed but make it quite clear that your daughter and traffic will affect your arrival. Let them send the air out with another driver. Their regular drivers bitching about the situation might help. Once you're out of the bottom 10% of your driving board you can bump the junior drivers to the other building.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
this is strange, can a fulltime driver be sent to another building? whats the mileage limitation? 20. 50, 100 miles?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I had not either, but for a few weeks last year they did this to a reg temp in my center, which is how I know that there's really nothing that can be done about it

UPSGUY72

this is strange, can a fulltime driver be sent to another building? whats the mileage limitation? 20. 50, 100 miles?

In my area there are three buildings all in the same local you can bid into any one of the buildings they are about 50 miles away from each other. If one of the building is short drivers they send someone from another building to help it. You can refuse but then if you do you won't be working that day and when a SUP does the route no one can file a grievance because a union employee refused the work...

Boznok77

That's why I was asking if there was anything I could do. Our babysitter is great and barely costs us anything. I don't think that we should have to rearrange our set-up. We could end up losing a great babysitter and spending more money on something I may only have to do for a few months. We are going to need a babysitter for the next few years. That's why I put my name on the driving list for the only building I knew my arrangement would work at.

In my local ups can't force you to work in another building. They can ask and if you do it they have to pay you for mileage from your building to the other building and back. I learned over 70 routes when I was a swing driver but. Ever at another building. I always declined.

UPSGUY72

I have been a driver for just over 4 months now. For the past few weeks, my supervisors have been calling me and telling me that another center 20 miles away needs me. I have been going down there and going out blind almost everyday because I don't know the area at all. I heard this might last for the next few months.

I have a problem with this because this was not the building/center that I applied to work at. Everyday, I drop my daughter off at the babysitter at 8am and head into work. I am always on time and never late. Ever since I have been told to go to the new building, I am about 20-30 minutes late everyday because I have to drive further and there is always traffic on the two major highways. Everyday I am told I have to start showing up on time because there are late airs almost everyday.

When I wanted to go driving, I didn't put my name on that building driving list because I knew I could never make it on time with my situation. I only applied to the one I knew I would be able to be at on time. I also have an older car and hate putting more miles and wear and tear into when I shouldn't have too.

I have been told that I have to go down to the other building because you have to follow directions and work were needed. I was just wondering if that was true and if so, is there anything I can do otherwise?

Work as directed if you refuse to go they could lay you off at the least...

UPSGUY72

That's why I was asking if there was anything I could do. Our babysitter is great and barely costs us anything. I don't think that we should have to rearrange our set-up. We could end up losing a great babysitter and spending more money on something I may only have to do for a few months. We are going to need a babysitter for the next few years. That's why I put my name on the driving list for the only building I knew my arrangement would work at.

Your out of luck your the lowest driver on the seniority list and you said you could bid a job a the other building you don't have a bid route then can place you where your needed. Just hope it's only for a little while and hope next time there is a bid you don't get bumped to the other building like I did. I drive 50 mile to and from work each day and the the center I started working out of is 2 miles from my house...

Overpaid Union Thug

We have quite a few buildings located within a short commute of each other but the only people (other than part-timers that transfer) that move around from one to another is management. For once I wish I had stayed in the hub I transfered from. I'd be in feeders now!

brownrod

I've been in this situation. I stopped answering the phone in the AM. and started showing up at my center 1 minute before start time. They never asked me to work in the neighbor center ever again.

But... I didn't mind being laid off in my center and not working. If I wanted to work my option was the neighbor center.