Is there really a high turnover rate?

Aarmin

I heard that UPS has a high turnover rate for package handlers? It just doesn't seem so, because I check the UPS career website weekly, now daily since late December; they never have any job postings for the Indianapolis area. I've also stopped by to talk to HR or a manager, but ultimately just get a giggle and told to apply at UPS's career website.

I'm curious, how many package handlers do you guys/galls see come and go?

2009_ups_sustainability_employee_turnover_preview.jpg

:sick:

On a side note, I will take any part time job that pays more than the minimum wage.

drewed

Shankman
That would be an amazing retention rate.... generally turnover is 50% for new hires, so if we hire 100 people 50 of them will leave/termed un the next year

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That would be an amazing retention rate.... generally turnover is 50% for new hires, so if we hire 100 people 50 of them will leave/termed un the next year

The figures quoted are for full time employees.

Thank you for the explanation of the 50% turnover rate for package handlers.

SWORDFISH

How often do you see a driver hired off the street these days? I have seen 1 in 18 years.

Our retention rate in the "old" school UPS reflects those numbers posted. However the "new" UPS the turnover rate is much higher for all shifts from my experience. Most people dont want to work for them anymore.

UPSGUY72

How often do you see a driver hired off the street these days? I have seen 1 in 18 years.

Our retention rate in the "old" school UPS reflects those numbers posted. However the "new" UPS the turnover rate is much higher for all shifts from my experience. Most people dont want to work for them anymore.

Most kids these days just don't want to work for anything they just want it given to them. They think they are automactically entitled to the same pay and perks that a 25 year employee is. That is not how it works in the real world just becasue mom and dad gave you everything you wanted when you where little.

ups clerk

It may be more than minimum right now, but next conract if UPS doesn't increase the starting rate for new hire, in a few years it 8.50 will be minimum rate. That is why there is such a high turnover rate right now. Along with no insurance for the first year, getting written up for misloads etc. Who the hell would want to hang around?

UPSGUY72

It may be more than minimum right now, but next conract if UPS doesn't increase the starting rate for new hire, in a few years it 8.50 will be minimum rate. That is why there is such a high turnover rate right now. Along with no insurance for the first year, getting written up for misloads etc. Who the hell would want to hang around?

I hear McDonalds is hiring they have a higher turnover than UPS.

SWORDFISH

The younger generation does have a entitlement problem but w/ that said UPS also has a harassment problem. Bad combo if you ask me.

JonFrum

Last time I checked $8.50 is more than minimum wage in every state but Washington in that case they must start out at that rate or higher. Also in the building I stated in everyone started at $9.50.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._minimum_wages
And after you deduct union dues and initiation fees, what is the effective hourly rate?

It's also worth mentioning that the job is usually only 17.5 hours per week. (Assuming you successfully fight to stay on the clock that long!)

The Contract runs thru July 31, 2013. State and Federal mininum wages will be higher by then. But $8.50-$9.50 will still be the same.

SWORDFISH

And after you deduct union dues and initiation fees, what is the effective hourly rate?

It's also worth mentioning that the job is usually only 17.5 hours per week. (Assuming you successfully fight to stay on the clock that long!)

The Contract runs thru July 31, 2013. State and Federal mininum wages will be higher by then. But $8.50-$9.50 will still be the same.

????????? Your gauranteed 17.5 hrs if you work all week. Shouldnt be any fighting about it unless your under a different supplement than I am.

L

Loufan

Well in the almost 4 years i've been at UPS I can tell you I've seen about 30 people on my belt get hired. 25 of them quit within 6 months and the other 5 are still sticking it out at UPS.

The people that make it through their first peak season are way more likely to stick it out at UPS for a extended period.

That's just an estimate but from what I can see most people don't stick around. I think it might have something to do with sups taking it easy on new hires and then when peak hits they get shoved into the madness. I started 2 weeks before peak season so once peak hit i was like "well i just have to stick it out for a month and a half, it really can't get much worse than this"

JonFrum

Outside hires who start as drivers make much more than minimum wage.

Any more misinformation you wish to post?
Outside hires who are part-time supervisors (hired from outside the bargainig unit) started as package handlers at $8.50.

Outside hires who were Driver's Helpers for a season or two started at $9.50, here in New England, anyway.

And of course, six out of seven hires are inside hires that started at $8.50, (or occasionally $9.50.)

JonFrum

????????? Your gauranteed 17.5 hrs if you work all week. Shouldnt be any fighting about it unless your under a different supplement than I am.
The guarantee is in the Master.

Haven't you read the threads where new part-timers are told to leave earlier, and it's up to the part-timer to know he has the right to stay for the full three-and-one-half hours?

Or the Memorandum of Understanding that part-timers are only guaranteed three hours unless they demand their three-and-a-half?

Or the air workers who are only guaranteed three hours, or no guarantee at all?