Is there really a high turnover rate?

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
In my building turn over seems to be very low. Do you have people changing work locations? Absolutely, which is only a change of location in the building and not that person quitting. Also what you need to take into consideration is the type of work and the type of person that generally is attracted to it. When you compare turn over rates from other companies that offer part time work, UPS rates very high against them. Is starting pay of a part timer low compared to a full timer? Yes but ask yourself, aren't the job responsibilities and duties different as well.

When I started at UPS as a loader I had ZERO intention of making it a career. So I had no misconceived notions that my pay was unacceptable. It only seems low compared to how much we get payed to walk packages to door steps.

Once I decided to make UPS a career I got D.O.T. certified and started to do utility work which DOES pay better. So at first no you are not going to make the big bucks. But if you decide to stick it out then there are plenty of options at UPS available to all of us.

SWORDFISH

Correct

I havent been around for awhile so I hadnt heard that. I will have to check w/ our new hires to see if that is happening w/ them so I can get that fixed. UPS gets more and more ridiculous all the time.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We went through over 100 people on preload, alone, last year. Talk about a cherry turnover! In the last three years, I would bet an apple turnover that we went through 300!!

Aarmin

So is it possible that UPS does not always list job openings on their website? Maybe they already have a pool of applicants to choose from. I guess I can stop by again.

The company doesn't offer any jobs that start with a pay rate higher than minimum wage.

That extra .50+ will pay for gas.

U

uber

Most kids these days just don't want to work for anything they just want it given to them. They think they are automactically entitled to the same pay and perks that a 25 year employee is. That is not how it works in the real world just becasue mom and dad gave you everything you wanted when you where little.

The people with 25 years of seniority had it a lot better starting out at UPS. Much better. Horrible comparison. What was your starting wage with the company?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I heard that UPS has a high turnover rate for package handlers? It just doesn't seem so, because I check the UPS career website weekly, now daily since late December; they never have any job postings for the Indianapolis area. I've also stopped by to talk to HR or a manager, but ultimately just get a giggle and told to apply at UPS's career website.

I'm curious, how many package handlers do you guys/galls see come and go?

2009_ups_sustainability_employee_turnover_preview.jpg

:sick:

On a side note, I will take any part time job that pays more than the minimum wage.

At my HUB its 70% turnover rate, which all falls under preload. Last year I saw about 6 people come and go on preload alone within 6 months of time. Each and every other job never seems to lose people, including unload and load. If you pull preload, its a walking death sentence for 70% of the American population here in Orlando, FL.

22.34life

when i started turnover was really bad,in my group of newhires at the time their was about 20 of us,ten in the inbound and ten in the outbound.after 30 days their were only 6 of us left,six months 3,1 year only 2.me and that other guy still work at ups.turnover then was bad because there was no cornerstone program,i was paired with another hourly loader who trained me.turnover was bad but most of the people that did stay were quality,not like today where they basically make it where a retarded person with no legs and no arms could make senority.they baby these guys and protect them the first 30 days big time,even when a guy tells them "hey i dont think this is for me,i cant do this work",they tell him come on man it will get easier,when they know it will only get harder.then after his 30 days the managment complains non stop about what a piece of crap the guy is.

22.34life

Kids today don't want to work.

you dont think your parents said the same thing about your generation?every generation plays king of the hill,in my day everything that you do was ten times harder and up hill both ways with one hand tied behind my back.the quality of people at ups is a direct result of what ups offers which is ,poverty level pay with no chance for advancement for many years down the road.why would any person with any smarts break there back for this company for $150/week and no real chance for extra hours or a friend/t job for many,many years.this is not 1985 its 2011 and the times have changed but the company has not.if your a fisherman and you want the trophy fish you gotta use trophy bait,right now all ups uses is a cold steel hook.

22.34life

I hear McDonalds is hiring they have a higher turnover than UPS.
while your post was meant as a joke a newhire would be better of at mcdonalds,minimum wage in texas is 7.25/hr now thats 1.25 less that ups but you will work a lot more than 20 hours so your takehome pay would be about equal and you wont rupture a disk at mcdonalds.remember also that newhires wont get medical for a year and cant add dependents for 18 months.so lets see ,back breaking labor in the heat and the cold while being treated like a disposable tissue for a 150 bucks a week,or easy work in the ac for the same amount of money.the only reason people would prefer ups is because of the IDEA of working fastfood sounds bad compared to ups,but from the numbers its about the same.

when i started turnover was really bad,in my group of newhires at the time their was about 20 of us,ten in the inbound and ten in the outbound.after 30 days their were only 6 of us left,six months 3,1 year only 2.me and that other guy still work at ups.turnover then was bad because there was no cornerstone program,i was paired with another hourly loader who trained me.turnover was bad but most of the people that did stay were quality,not like today where they basically make it where a retarded person with no legs and no arms could make senority.they baby these guys and protect them the first 30 days big time,even when a guy tells them "hey i dont think this is for me,i cant do this work",they tell him come on man it will get easier,when they know it will only get harder.then after his 30 days the managment complains non stop about what a piece of crap the guy is.
When I was hired it was a class of about twenty. The HR guy had one eye and I remember thinking WTF. Here it is almost twenty years later and there are two of us left. Me and a guy who eventually got to feeders. There was also a guy who became full-time management. The power went out about six years ago and be went up to a local convenient store and bought a couple cases of beer. When the power came on and his people were drunk he got his :censored2: fired. Lol

U

uber

For some of you old-timers that say that todays generation doesn't like having to work hard. My question for you is, what was the starting wage when you were hired with the company? I'm just curious.

rod

Retired 22 years
For some of you old-timers that say that todays generation doesn't like having to work hard. My question for you is, what was the starting wage when you were hired with the company? I'm just curious.

$6.75 an hour in 1971( that was full time driver pay )-------------that was great pay back then. My wife was a secretary at a State job and she made about $3.50 an hour.

SWORDFISH

The starting pay is the same as it was when I started 18 years ago. We had it much better then than people that start now. The minimum wage has more than doubled since then as well.

iowa boy

A more correct question for you might be to ask what the minimum wage was when someone started their first job. I understand that you think 8.50 an hour is a crappy wage, (it is don't get me wrong,) but 25 years ago when I started my first job minimum wage was 3.25 or 3.35 an hour. You may think you have it rough now, but back then there were no cell phones that we had to have or any of the other electronic toys todays generation seems to think that they "need" to make their life more complete.

So if you don't think 8.50 an hour is an insufficient wage for you to live on for 90 days, why do you work for ups to begin with? Having a job at UPS is a lot like investing in the stock market, you take the short term loss, (8.50 an hour,) for the long term benefits, (30 bucks an hour for your hard work plus an excellent health care package and retirement).

Answer me this question, what kind of retirement would you have after working for 30 years at Mcdonalds?

rod

Retired 22 years
A more correct question for you might be to ask what the minimum wage was when someone started their first job. I understand that you think 8.50 an hour is a crappy wage, (it is don't get me wrong,) but 25 years ago when I started my first job minimum wage was 3.25 or 3.35 an hour. You may think you have it rough now, but back then there were no cell phones that we had to have or any of the other electronic toys todays generation seems to think that they "need" to make their life more complete.

So if you don't think 8.50 an hour is an insufficient wage for you to live on for 90 days, why do you work for ups to begin with? Having a job at UPS is a lot like investing in the stock market, you take the short term loss, (8.50 an hour,) for the long term benefits, (30 bucks an hour for your hard work plus an excellent health care package and retirement).

Answer me this question, what kind of retirement would you have after working for 30 years at Mcdonalds?

According to the charts-- in 1971 minimum wage was $1.60 -----------that would equal $6.20 in todays money