Is there really a high turnover rate?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
i'm a Gen Y, and my generation can best be summed up with this quote:
"progress is not made by early risers, it's made by lazy people looking for an easier way to do things"

yeah you can call Gen Y's lazy, entitled, blah blah, but the fact is it's that kind of laziness that sparks innovation and progress, and no one dares deny that my generation is the most technologically adept in history, starting from childhood

the point is, UPS and the older guys that run it may not like it, but it is what it is and if UPS doesn't adapt, it will fade away like countless other stagnant companies have

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dear Tears

I cant help but chuckle at your short lesson in history.

but the fact is it's that kind of laziness that sparks innovation and progress, (so the kid that plays world of warcraft 14 hours a day, and sleeps another 10 will be the next Bill Gates?) and no one dares deny that my generation is the most technologically adept in history, starting from childhood (you are comparing two different things. From your childhood, lets see, that means you were handed technology, not sparked that technology. So it was created BEFORE you were born.)

You seem to think that massive intellegence and inovation is a by product of being lazy. I disagree. IT comes from somone working that says, "there has to be a better or faster, or cheaper way of doing this on a larger scale". That is not because you are lazy, it is the human nature to do things better, faster, cheaper. And this human nature has been around since the begining. Goggle is one of those inovations.

That being said, the younger generation does have an easier pathway when it comes to newer technologies. But let the spell checker, mouse, keyboard, iphone, laptop, xbox fail, or heaven forbid, the electricity goes down, you bite the dust, and your inovation stops. So is it really YOUR inovation after all?

UPS and the older guys that run it may not like it, but it is what it is and if UPS doesn't adapt, it will fade away like countless other stagnant companies have

Your apraisal of what is wrong at UPS is also flawed. You would suggest we hire more lazy people to sit around and inovate? Then who will deliver the goods?

WE already have a ton of people at the top that tell UPS that their service sitting behind a computer screen is more important than the delivery of goods. That the information of the delivery is more important than the actual delivery. As both a former driver, and as a customer, the information is nice, but the actual timely delivery of the goods is what I need and paid for.

They are also the eggheads that make the decisions that the new hire is not worth keeping by paying a better wage.

d

Re-Raise

The only thing in the part timers favor in the next few years is the retirement rate of the drivers hired in the boom decade of UPS's growth.

About 2/3 of the drivers in our center gained full-time seniority between 85 and 95. We are starting to talk retirement in the mornings while we stand around waiting for start time and complaining about our dispatch.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Actually, was talking about the 8-10 years prior, as many drivers want that 35 and out. But the boom decade lasted quite a while, and a lot of people were hired during that period. Hopefully for the part time workforce wanting driving jobs, the attrition rate will be much greater than the job loss rate, as UPS cuts jobs everywhere.

d

i'm a Gen Y, and my generation can best be summed up with this quote:
"progress is not made by early risers, it's made by lazy people looking for an easier way to do things"

yeah you can call Gen Y's lazy, entitled, blah blah, but the fact is it's that kind of laziness that sparks innovation and progress, and no one dares deny that my generation is the most technologically adept in history, starting from childhood

the point is, UPS and the older guys that run it may not like it, but it is what it is and if UPS doesn't adapt, it will fade away like countless other stagnant companies have

Your right! It is what it is! adapt or fade away but, in your case I think you will be doin' the fadn'

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Dear Tears

I cant help but chuckle at your short lesson in history.

You seem to think that massive intellegence and inovation is a by product of being lazy. I disagree. IT comes from somone working that says, "there has to be a better or faster, or cheaper way of doing this on a larger scale". That is not because you are lazy, it is the human nature to do things better, faster, cheaper. And this human nature has been around since the begining. Goggle is one of those inovations.

That being said, the younger generation does have an easier pathway when it comes to newer technologies. But let the spell checker, mouse, keyboard, iphone, laptop, xbox fail, or heaven forbid, the electricity goes down, you bite the dust, and your inovation stops. So is it really YOUR inovation after all?

Your apraisal of what is wrong at UPS is also flawed. You would suggest we hire more lazy people to sit around and inovate? Then who will deliver the goods?

WE already have a ton of people at the top that tell UPS that their service sitting behind a computer screen is more important than the delivery of goods. That the information of the delivery is more important than the actual delivery. As both a former driver, and as a customer, the information is nice, but the actual timely delivery of the goods is what I need and paid for.

They are also the eggheads that make the decisions that the new hire is not worth keeping by paying a better wage.

d

I enjoyed this post!

I'm apart of generation X, no goals or aims set for the future. The lack of a dencet school system down here in Florida shows me that its all a system to dumb us down to beleive progressive type beliefs.

Generation Y, sure you know all about computers, ipods and how to fix the VCRs , but that could end at any moment. Technology is moving so fast that sooner or later it will be within 6 months of changing apart from itself. Thus claiming skills you have today will not or ever matter again within time itself.

What matters is self ethics, hard work and self enrichment. To learn and recall the past and what is needed here for the future. The world could use a lot more hard nosed workers then T.V. repairmen.