Is this a viable alternative to a union?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I read an interesting article recently which aptly describes hourlies as stakeholders vs. stockholders. We have a stake in Fedex, which only cares about those who have stock. With that in mind, I wondered if the following scenario is viable. I welcome input that refines or refutes its viability...less so it's practicality. If it will work, it would be worth the extensive time for implementation.

1. Form an 'employee unification co-op' inclusive of all opcos.
2. Said employees would contribute an hour of wages each month.
3. Monies collected would be used to purchase Fedex stock.
4. Co-op would "hold" stock for all employees.
5. Employees would retain ownership of purchased stock, with right to sell same only when leaving their employment at FedEx.
6. At some point in time, enough stock would be retained by the co-op that it could influence the board and their decisions to the benefit of the co-ops members.

I realize this is a rough draft, but I think it could work. FedEx wins by keeping its stock prices up, we win by eventually attaining some influence over our situation.

It will be fine

There are plenty of examples of employee owned companies. The only stories I've read about them all have the original owner's consent and backing. This would be a brute force method. The biggest issue would be administration. No one would organize and handle this for free. If it worked, whoever was in charge would end up being just another big shot on the golf course with Fred, not really looking out for your interests. Kinda like Hoffa with Ups.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
There are plenty of examples of employee owned companies. The only stories I've read about them all have the original owner's consent and backing. This would be a brute force method. The biggest issue would be administration. No one would organize and handle this for free. If it worked, whoever was in charge would end up being just another big shot on the golf course with Fred, not really looking out for your interests. Kinda like Hoffa with Ups.
Elected representation with term limits. I like the idea of brute force, here. We would form and administer in house, not unlike a credit union.

vantexan

I've read somewhere that there's something like 170 million outstanding shares of Fedex stock. It would take a very long time for enough stock to be accumulated to have influence.

overflowed

Signing a card is free. You think people are going to give up money if they won't sign a card?
Scammy my friend. What will happen when all the old school topped out Express people retire? At the same time all the people been screwed for 5-10 will leave by choice. Express will be left with ground drivers, which is basically what they are hiring at Express now. Where do you think the profit will come from? It takes 3 new hires to do the job of 1 Express driver from 3 years ago. Kids are lazy these days? Ground.

bbsam

Staff member
Scammy my friend. What will happen when all the old school topped out Express people retire? At the same time all the people been screwed for 5-10 will leave by choice. Express will be left with ground drivers, which is basically what they are hiring at Express now. Where do you think the profit will come from? It takes 3 new hires to do the job of 1 Express driver from 3 years ago. Kids are lazy these days? Ground.
What does that have to do with the topic? Oh my. You aren't trying to frighten me again, are you?

bacha29

Mr. Fred: Your comments are well meaningbut have you considered the fact that Ground is operated by so called "independent contractors" In this scenerio they would have no say.Thank you for your honesty regarding having fed ex stock especially given that the stock price has gained more than 500% in 7 years. Perhaps the fact that 78% of the company's profit is derived from Grounds 21% revenue contribution may have something to do with that stock appreciation. You bet it does. It's the only thing FX has that makes any money

bbsam

Staff member
Mr. Fred: Your comments are well meaningbut have you considered the fact that Ground is operated by so called "independent contractors" In this scenerio they would have no say.Thank you for your honesty regarding having fed ex stock especially given that the stock price has gained more than 500% in 7 years. Perhaps the fact that 78% of the company's profit is derived from Grounds 21% revenue contribution may have something to do with that stock appreciation. You bet it does. It's the only thing FX has that makes any money
Uh-oh. Now you've peeled the scab off.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Are you prepared if the NLRB decision is implemented? Co-employees would be welcomed with open arms.