Is this considered disqualifying yourself?

BUCN85

So a driver signs up for ft position and goes to driving school and completes it. But once it's time for said driver to begin on road training they decide not to and the next driver inline begins. So did this driver just disqualify themselves and have to wait a year to try again. Or can they sign up the next time a ft bid goes up ?

"This is called the pre-LOAD not the pre-STACK"

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So a driver signs up for ft position and goes to driving school and completes it. But once it's time for said driver to begin on road training they decide not to and the next driver inline begins. So did this driver just disqualify themselves and have to wait a year to try again. Or can they sign up the next time a ft bid goes up ?

Why would said driver skip one bid then sign the next. Seniority means everything here. Don't let anyone skip you.

By The Book

They should be able to take the next spot in line as they passed up their current one. If this person never went on road and started their training that is. Kind of like letting someone go ahead of you in line at the grocery store.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Depends on how it's handled locally, but that sounds awful close to a self-disqualification which would keep the employee from coming out again for driving in that classification for 2 years.

I can't understand why anyone trying to go FT would give a junior guy the chance to qualify first. That's the kind of thing that will affect you for the rest of your career as far as bidding routes, bidding vacations and personal days, etc.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I know the feeder department kinda frowns upon that. They go to the time and expense to train you, and then you quit? That means they wasted their time, and they could have been training someone who would step up, want the job and help reduce the shortage of qualified drivers. Plus you delay the next guy on the list who really wanted the job.

This isn't the checkout lane at WalMart and you're letting the little old lady go ahead of you. UPS went to the effort to train you and there are others in line who WILL follow through with the job.
Anyone who'll do this will also be someone who won't pull their weight once they do get into PC.

Stay a ptimer.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
I know the feeder department kinda frowns upon that. They go to the time and expense to train you, and then you quit? That means they wasted their time, and they could have been training someone who would step up, want the job and help reduce the shortage of qualified drivers. Plus you delay the next guy on the list who really wanted the job.
Couldn't agree more.

BUCN85

I'm curiois on this because I'm with in 2 spots of ft now this person skipped. And we are supposed to hire 2 more in sept. And I don't want to get screwed over cause now this person all of a sudden wants to do it.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
I'm curiois on this because I'm with in 2 spots of ft now this person skipped. And we are supposed to hire 2 more in sept. And I don't want to get screwed over cause now this person all of a sudden wants to do it.

Did you call the hall?

barnyard

KTM rider
In my building, that would be self DQ. That person won the bid, went to school and is trained to start their 30 days, they chose not to do it. That is the very definition of a self-DQ.

Ouch

Depends on how it's handled locally, but that sounds awful close to a self-disqualification which would keep the employee from coming out again for driving in that classification for 2 years.

I can't understand why anyone trying to go FT would give a junior guy the chance to qualify first. That's the kind of thing that will affect you for the rest of your career as far as bidding routes, bidding vacations and personal days, etc.
I would agree that It sounds so close to disqualifying themselves. I would say the company will look at it that way.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
It depends on what the trainee was told when sent to school. If they were told that as soon as school was finished they would be starting then I would call it a self dq. If they were told they were just getting people trained for future openings and it may be a while, I would not consider it a dq. The trainee may have other obligations he/she needs to take care of before starting full time driving.

Either way, not smart to pass on your opportunity as it could be a long wait for another one!!