Is UPS hiring drivers again?

SFTifoso

I just heard a friend of a friend told me that UPS is starting to hire new drivers again. What's going on in your center?

I hope this is true. I want to drive sooooo badly. I'm sick of squabbling for 15 min of extra work with lower seniority people and my sup. Is the initial driving test still given in a truck with a manual transmission?

brownboxman

No new drivers here in 3 years now, 2 on the bench now waiting to be called up . But plan days are going up so fewer drivers needed. It is going to be awhile

2Slow

It depends on where you're at.

In my building, they hired about 15 new Feeder drivers last year and are bringing on 40 new Feeder guys this year.
They are hiring enough Package guys to replace what they lost to feeders.

As to the manual transmission; I don't know what the test is given in, but we still have a lot of manual transmission vehicles so you might as well get used to it.

TSJ

It depends on where you're at.

In my building, they hired about 15 new Feeder drivers last year and are bringing on 40 new Feeder guys this year.
They are hiring enough Package guys to replace what they lost to feeders.

As to the manual transmission; I don't know what the test is given in, but we still have a lot of manual transmission vehicles so you might as well get used to it.

40 new feeder drivers!? What center on which planet are you working for? I'm a cover driver in lancaster pa, I've been on the bench going on 3 years now. Who can I submit my transfer letter too?

2Slow

Indianapolis I81IN

There are 2 Huge Amazon warehouses we service and Medco is building a facility, in addition to everything else in "the crossroads of America".

Good luck on the transfer, as I understand it the Feeder list did not even go up for package drivers in the other 2 Indianapolis delivery buildings. They have taken some combo people out of our hub, not sure if it got down to part timers.
Although if you're good at delivery, there's always room for another runner...

804brown

I just heard a friend of a friend told me that UPS is starting to hire new drivers again. What's going on in your center?

I hope this is true. I want to drive sooooo badly. I'm sick of squabbling for 15 min of extra work with lower seniority people and my sup. Is the initial driving test still given in a truck with a manual transmission?

Typo, you must mean FIRING drivers again!!

Yes UPS is hiring drivers again. At least they are hiring here in So. Cal West Lost Angeles #88 district. They are currently hiring new drivers to replace existing drivers that are either retiring in the near future, or transferring to feeder. To pass the 30 day probation just got a little harder this time. New drivers now have to "scratch", ( or break even) the route they will be on during probation. So far to this date HR is currently looking for driving candidates seniority dates at August 2001. However every new wave of candidates going to class in the Olympic hub are not passing for plenty of reasons. For one not being able to drive stick shift, problems with their driving record (dui, suspended licenses, etc) , coming to class late, wearing earrings , not clean shaven , the list goes on and on. And with incoming batch, about 30% are failing. So especially people in the 396 local looking to go full time soon, this is your best chance to get into driving. Not unless you want to wait for how many years for a combo.Good luck with that one.

OptimusPrime

Indianapolis I81IN

There are 2 Huge Amazon warehouses we service and Medco is building a facility, in addition to everything else in "the crossroads of America".

Good luck on the transfer, as I understand it the Feeder list did not even go up for package drivers in the other 2 Indianapolis delivery buildings. They have taken some combo people out of our hub, not sure if it got down to part timers.
Although if you're good at delivery, there's always room for another runner...

Assume I81IN is the 81st hub? They just hired 8 new ft drivers. I am one of them. And pretty sure there will be a 9th. Training sup mentioned they were just about to lose a driver to feeders.

barnyard

KTM rider
As the economy improves, those that were thinking about retiring in 08 will actually retire. I have read a couple of articles where economists theorize that we could actually see labor shortages in some job segments in 3-5 years.

For those is good shape that cannot wait for a FT gig at UPS, the railroads are hiring in most areas of the country.

just_a_number

Lol u will b laidoff in sept...ur a casual...i work in the norwich center have not hired in years in fact we lost rtes on this years bid list...turn around and run its not worth it

Floyd Gondolli

Yes UPS is hiring drivers again. At least they are hiring here in So. Cal West Lost Angeles #88 district. They are currently hiring new drivers to replace existing drivers that are either retiring in the near future, or transferring to feeder. To pass the 30 day probation just got a little harder this time. New drivers now have to "scratch", ( or break even) the route they will be on during probation. So far to this date HR is currently looking for driving candidates seniority dates at August 2001. However every new wave of candidates going to class in the Olympic hub are not passing for plenty of reasons. For one not being able to drive stick shift, problems with their driving record (dui, suspended licenses, etc) , coming to class late, wearing earrings , not clean shaven , the list goes on and on. And with incoming batch, about 30% are failing. So especially people in the 396 local looking to go full time soon, this is your best chance to get into driving. Not unless you want to wait for how many years for a combo.Good luck with that one.
In your local. We had people going to Oly and Main for the first movement in my building in about 6 years. I"m holding out for my home building. I live 10 min. from work. Welcome!! Good to see another 396 member here. The buzz in So-Cal has definitely risen with the promotions.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
at my center they are doing everything to avoid hiring drivers. The DM says we have more full time drivers than routes,but 3 drivers are on Long Term Disability and havent worked in over a year,and one driver became our BA,yet is still on the rolls as a FT driver in our center. They load down the runner gunners,and the rest of us work right up to 9.5 every day