Is UPS saving money on working feeder`s 4 ten hour days versus 5 eight hour days?

cosmictrucker

counting the months
I'm confused--you say that "hopefully the OT will return with the economy". I thought that the main reason the company agreed to the 4/10's was to reduce OT, which is what happened in your case. Also, if you are already working 10 hours and we are limited to 12, how much more OT can you expect to get (or want) without working a 5th day, which would defeat the purpose of the 4/10? Your family will not remember (or care) how much you had in your wallet but they will remember (and care) how much time you were able to spend with them.

Most of our 4/10's are actually a 10 hr day or even less. No OT unless you work more than 10 hrs on a 4/10. True fact, 4/10's reduce OT. With that said, I've watched the company routinely change 5/8's to 4/10's and back with the change in seasonal volume and vacation loads. This past year or so, the 4/10's have stuck. My guess this was mainly due to the loss in volume and having too many drivers for the work load. With the return of volume, I expect the return of OT and the change back to 5/8 runs.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
your math is wrong for the drivers working 4 10hr days. overtime is paid daily after 8 hrs. so it should be 32hr x $30 = 960 and 8hr x $45 = 360 for a total of $1320

I don't see any errors in the math. Drivers on 4-10s don't get OT until they exceed 10 hrs in a single day or 40 hrs for the week.

My understanding of the 4-10 is to enable the load to go further in a single shift (without OT).

Any savings in wages reduces the companies FICA tax match liability. Paying 30,000 for benes creates a tax reduction. Paying 30,000 in additional wages creates additional tax liability. On 30,000 the FICA tax for the company is $2,295 (7.65%). If all the other numbers are correct this equates to a saving of approximately $1,500 per year in FICA tax.

wolfman1

I am thinking the only way the company can save money using the 4 tens is if they can cut a service day out the the work week. Then there would be no need to cover that cut day with another driver. If your using 4 (4 ten ) drivers like I said before you will need another driver to cover the 5th day the 4(4ten) drivers aren`t working. If UPS would try this in a package car center with 40 runs they would need 10 more drivers to make it work. The winner would be the union with all the benifit money from the extra drivers. Using 4 tens to do longer also wouldn`t save money on a 5 day work week, again need another driver to do the 5th day. Mileage runs would be the way to do longer runs. Instead of maybe using 3 drivers to go from point A to B you could do it with maybe 2 drivers.

tieguy

Banned
I don't see any errors in the math. Drivers on 4-10s don't get OT until they exceed 10 hrs in a single day or 40 hrs for the week.

My understanding of the 4-10 is to enable the load to go further in a single shift (without OT).

Any savings in wages reduces the companies FICA tax match liability. Paying 30,000 for benes creates a tax reduction. Paying 30,000 in additional wages creates additional tax liability. On 30,000 the FICA tax for the company is $2,295 (7.65%). If all the other numbers are correct this equates to a saving of approximately $1,500 per year in FICA tax.

you still have someone running that run on day 5. 4/10's add more drivers to the payroll. Depending on what you pay those drivers in health/welfare/retirement you may not save any money.

wolfman1

Places that have extra drivers , I would guess instead of having out of shape feeder drivers bumping down into package car or hub work. It may be better in the short term to use the 4 tens. However here at Harrisburg,Pa we are putting on new drivers. Like I said before we have a lot of pickup volume here, even with this present economy. We use to have a handful of 4 ten jobs, just went through a rebidding of jobs and now have over two dozen 4 ten jobs. Most of the 4 tens are made up short center runs and pickups. I don`t think our regional planner is really involved in hub to center runs and pickup work. I thought with the downsizing of districts and bigger regions with less duplication of management, business decisions would be about cutting company costs and providing better service , I am not seeing that here and the higher up powers to be are not looking at costs and service here either.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
you still have someone running that run on day 5. 4/10's add more drivers to the payroll. Depending on what you pay those drivers in health/welfare/retirement you may not save any money.

The health/welfare/retirement was figured into the original equation. I doubt that there is any significant savings. If there was, we would see 4-10s used a lot more.

wolfman1

If UPS isn`t saving any money then why isn`t the regional management or Atlanta not stopping the use of 4 tens where it is costing the company more. Seems to me this is defeating the purpose of the restructuring that just recently happened. They want to add more jobs to add more management jobs. (sorry just rambling on, again I am just a dumb truck driver)

UPSGUY72

I would love 4 10 hour days. Make almost $1300 a week and have 3 days off. Work 208 days a year, less when you take away your vacation weeks sick days and personal days and make $67,000.

In my area if you have 4 weeks vacation and you count your 5 sick days and 3 personal says you only work 184 days a year and have 181 days off...

kenco80233

The 4-10 hour runs were started in the middle 80s for long runs in the west.Kansas Colorado when we had less driving hours and slower,lower power tractors.We used to run out of hours by friday,on a 450-500 mile run in the wind or bad wheather week.The union locals made local agreements,to keep the runs.

rocket man

Hoaxster sorry about the grammar and punctuation but your reply isn`t on target with my post.I am asking someone to show me how UPS will save money by using the 4 ten hour days to replace the 5 eight hour days in my post?
you dont have to be sorry about nothing on this site. spell the way you want im not hes not your mom type what ever you want screw them all