Is UPS small sort boring?

Squint

No more work for me!
I was clerking in the small sort and had the bid job for quite awhile. I gave it up for the Overgoods clerk job because there were too many chiefs roaming around the small sort. Overgoods was much more laid back and quiet. I was able to get more done as nobody was constantly bothering me as I was in small sort.

ZJ NOMAD

I was clerking in the small sort and had the bid job for quite awhile. I gave it up for the Overgoods clerk job because there were too many chiefs roaming around the small sort. Overgoods was much more laid back and quiet. I was able to get more done as nobody was constantly bothering me as I was in small sort.

Bothering me, people around funny-never even noticed!U cant see me - YouTube

Scratchy

Yes. Small sort can be boring when trucks are late and there is nothing to do. But that leaves almost every job in the building to twiddle some thumbs for a while. When there is work you can make the Small Sort fun if you are creative. Your whole experience will depend on who you'll be working with at the small sort.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I work in small sort. I also don't go to work to be entertained -- I go to work to make the most amount of money for the least amount of time/effort possible and small sort is my best option (for now) at UPS. I get more hours per week than anyone in the rest of the hub (we keep working well after the building goes 'down' in my hub) -- barring a handful of outbound setup guys and two or three clerks with 15-20+ years of seniority.

laffter

Small sort during the Twilight shift here is as hectic and fast paced as loading trucks during preload. I'm not sure about the preload smart sort, though. I can't imagine people are standing around picking their asses, anyway. On occasion, they've had to stop the unloading of Amazon trailers because they were getting hammered so hard.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Small sort during the Twilight shift here is as hectic and fast paced as loading trucks during preload. I'm not sure about the preload smart sort, though. I can't imagine people are standing around picking their asses, anyway. On occasion, they've had to stop the unloading of Amazon trailers because they were getting hammered so hard.
oh sure....sliding and lifting envelopes vs. lifting over 70s. Yes, that's comparable. You must be sore as hell after a night in small sort lol.

laffter

oh sure....sliding and lifting envelopes vs. lifting over 70s. Yes, that's comparable. You must be sore as hell after a night in small sort lol.

I don't do small sort. I work preload, loading package cars. But I did do small sort for a few minutes a couple times during Twilight and I do have an imagination. It CAN and will get busy depending on on how many people there are on that belt (usually no more than two).

Buck Fifty

Loading trucks is not my idea of fun...but there's no time to be bored when you're getting ass raped by the flow...just sayin lol :panicsmiley:

That could be interesting!:surprised:

Yes it would ! More interesting is the company took the skill pay away from small sort on our reload, because of new technology. Dont have to know zips anymore. Just scan and put in the box with the number. Anybody else have this happen. Had everybody file,still waiting ondecision.

Yes it would ! More interesting is the company took the skill pay away from small sort on our reload, because of new technology. Dont have to know zips anymore. Just scan and put in the box with the number. Anybody else have this happen. Had everybody file,still waiting ondecision.

If you take that extra money away from reload..............How much money per hour will they dock from the sups??..Not like they have to think anymore! Why is a sup skilled labor....??????

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Our hub was actually among the first in the country to receive the new "NextGen" system. They initially cut 4-6 jobs on my sort and tossed those guys (myself included) back to the inbound/outbound where they came from and eventually brought them back as smalls volume exploded. The local here actually negotiated that we be "grandfathered" in as far as skill pay and typically, skilled employees maintain their $1/hr premium when transferring to smalls. Non-skill employees have no chance to get skill pay, however.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If you take that extra money away from reload..............How much money per hour will they dock from the sups??..Not like they have to think anymore! Why is a sup skilled labor....??????
PT sups are skilled...they have that whole week of training before getting their fancy shirts, where they learn how to perfect their blank, vacant stares and practice asking dok and safety questions at the most inconvienent times. Highly skilled job! Lmao

Last edited:

Buck Fifty

Our hub was actually among the first in the country to receive the new "NextGen" system. They initially cut 4-6 jobs on my sort and tossed those guys (myself included) back to the inbound/outbound where they came from and eventually brought them back as smalls volume exploded. The local here actually negotiated that we be "grandfathered" in as far as skill pay and typically, skilled employees maintain their $1/hr premium when transferring to smalls. Non-skill employees have no chance to get skill pay, however.

center manager settled grievances with back pay and their dollar back.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Is UPS small sort boring...yes...not only yes, but hell yes. We just got a next gen system in our hub. Scanners are on the sort side. Scan it and look at the keypad. Lights up which bin to toss the package and the bin lights up as well. When the bin gets full, push the bin number on the keypad to light up a keypad on the bagging side. Other systems exist too...Portland has trays that go around a circle and someone slides packages onto the trays and they get scanned and when they get close to their bin, they eject the package in the bin that slides down to the bag. Pretty genius. Much better than the older small sort dump hole and belt.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
center manager settled grievances with back pay and their dollar back.

The only instance I've heard of someone losing their skill pay in my building involved a scum bag FT supervisor and a non-member. The FT supervisor went after this guy and took his skill pay away -- the same FT has received "anger management" training because of Art. 37 grievances multiple times and has been bounced around the building more times than I can count because he's a walking lawsuit waiting to happen.

Scratchy

I am unfamiliar with the next gen system. Is there someone on the other side of the bin just making bags the whole time?

Buck Fifty

The only instance I've heard of someone losing their skill pay in my building involved a scum bag FT supervisor and a non-member. The FT supervisor went after this guy and took his skill pay away -- the same FT has received "anger management" training because of Art. 37 grievances multiple times and has been bounced around the building more times than I can count because he's a walking lawsuit waiting to happen.

Ultimately what was happening was the pt sup was coding skilled and unskilled pay rates to his less experienced reloaders. So if you unloaded trucks for 2 hrs and 2 hrs on sort, he would code accordinly,insted of paying skilled for the whole shift. Should be quite the nightmare to fix it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I am unfamiliar with the next gen system. Is there someone on the other side of the bin just making bags the whole time?
There is a sorter and bagger(s). As bagger, all you would do is open a bag up (push a bunch of buttons lol), unload bin contents into bag, scan bag tag w/ scanner. rinse and repeat.

not much changes on the bagging side except that you aren't looking out for misloads, since they're detected from the sorter. No skill at all.

Scratchy

Lol...Just when you thought the small-sort couldn't become more mundane.....They found a way. But at least now the bagger doesn't have to yell through the bin to push out-of-reach smalls down the inclined slot all the time.