Is your ABS light on?

How Now Brown Cow

Is the ABS light on in your truck? As a cover driver I find that it is on in a lot of trucks. I don't write it up, unless it comes on during my shift, because I figure the bid driver would have written it up already if they wanted it taken care of. Is it something that even warrants a write up?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I was told by a mechanic that the ABS fluid gets off level and will set it off, something like that. Maybe BROWNWRENCH will chime in, our mechs don't take it too serious.

UPSGUY72

I was told by a mechanic that the ABS fluid gets off level and will set it off, something like that. Maybe BROWNWRENCH will chime in, our mechs don't take it too serious.

LOL I'd stay as far away from any package car that mechanic works on as he doesn't know what he's talking about or you misunderstood him. The light is on because of a sensor is bad the ABS system which is a mini computer that prevent you from locking the brakes up when skidding. That's the feed back you get when you slam the breaks on and start skidding the computer releases the brakes and letting the well rolls a little than applies them again instead of staying locked up.

UPSGUY72

Which is a problem when you need to make a sudden, emergency stop.

No it isn't if you know how to drive. ABS brake are relatively new they only been around for about 20 years. Before that people didn't have a problem as they actually new how to drive instead of relying on technology to do it for them....

MAKAVELI

No it isn't if you know how to drive. ABS brake are relatively new they only been around for about 20 years. Before that people didn't have a problem as they actually new how to drive instead of relying on technology to do it for them....
20 years is not new technology bro. ABS has proven to to stop a vehicle better and more controlled, regardless who the driver is.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
The abs light comes on when there is a code set by the abs computer. ABS prevents the brakes from locking up during harsh/extreme stops or when there is a loss of traction while braking (activates pump that pumps brake fluid many times per second which is why you sometimes feel a buzzing or strong pulsation when you lose traction while coming to a stop ie: stopping on ice covered roads). While having a properly working abs system is ideal I personally don't consider it something that requires immediate attention and will generally just add it to my work schedule then fix it when I have some free time outside of more urgent repairs.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't write it up, unless it comes on during my shift, because I figure the bid driver would have written it up already if they wanted it taken care of.

Did you go back through the DVIR to see if the issue had been written up and addressed?

Cover drivers are under the same obligation as bid drivers to write up issues with the vehicle they are driving that day so that they can be corrected in a timely manner.

When I was a cover driver I used to write up stuff all the time.