Is your ABS light on?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by How Now Brown Cow, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Is the ABS light on in your truck? As a cover driver I find that it is on in a lot of trucks. I don't write it up, unless it comes on during my shift, because I figure the bid driver would have written it up already if they wanted it taken care of. Is it something that even warrants a write up?
  2. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

I was told by a mechanic that the ABS fluid gets off level and will set it off, something like that. Maybe BROWNWRENCH will chime in, our mechs don't take it too serious.
  3. silenze

silenze Lunch is the best part of the day

Write it up before peak
  4. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

ABS fluid?
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Box Ox

Box Ox Would rather be driving an E-frame

Wrote it up once or twice. Apparently isn't a problem.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

meant brake fluid
  7. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

Sounds like something @Big Arrow Down...D would waste a lot of money on
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

LOL I'd stay as far away from any package car that mechanic works on as he doesn't know what he's talking about or you misunderstood him. The light is on because of a sensor is bad the ABS system which is a mini computer that prevent you from locking the brakes up when skidding. That's the feed back you get when you slam the breaks on and start skidding the computer releases the brakes and letting the well rolls a little than applies them again instead of staying locked up.
  9. Funfact

It has nothing to do with the break fluid. If the brake fluid is low the the brake warning light comes on not the ABS light...
  10. Funfact

It's not a problem. It will have no effect other than if you lock up the brakes instead of pulsating they will stay locked up....
    • List

MAKAVELI Well-Known Member

Which is a problem when you need to make a sudden, emergency stop.
  12. Funfact

No it isn't if you know how to drive. ABS brake are relatively new they only been around for about 20 years. Before that people didn't have a problem as they actually new how to drive instead of relying on technology to do it for them....
  13. DOK

DOK Active Member

Agreed, or trying to control the steering of the vehicle while trying to brake under slippery conditions. It needs to be fixed not ignored.

MAKAVELI Well-Known Member

20 years is not new technology bro. ABS has proven to to stop a vehicle better and more controlled, regardless who the driver is.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  15. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

A 3/4" piece of black electrical tape on your dash will cover that annoying yellow light up nicely.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Mechanic86

Mechanic86 Repairing the crap you break.

The abs light comes on when there is a code set by the abs computer. ABS prevents the brakes from locking up during harsh/extreme stops or when there is a loss of traction while braking (activates pump that pumps brake fluid many times per second which is why you sometimes feel a buzzing or strong pulsation when you lose traction while coming to a stop ie: stopping on ice covered roads). While having a properly working abs system is ideal I personally don't consider it something that requires immediate attention and will generally just add it to my work schedule then fix it when I have some free time outside of more urgent repairs.
  17. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

We were told by an Iowa DOT officer that it an illuminated ABS light is a DOT violation.
    • List
  18. Future

Future Well-Known Member

19. Mugarolla

Mugarolla Light 'em up!

I heard that OHP came into Columbus OH and said the same thing.

He told the drivers that he could cite them for it. It is a DOT violation.
  20. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Did you go back through the DVIR to see if the issue had been written up and addressed?

Cover drivers are under the same obligation as bid drivers to write up issues with the vehicle they are driving that day so that they can be corrected in a timely manner.

When I was a cover driver I used to write up stuff all the time.