Is your ABS light on?

UPSGUY72

If after 20 years of ABS technology, a driver does not know the " feedback " I'd say it's a driver error.

LOL How would anyone know what the feed back is when the ABS system activates unless they lock up the brakes and it actually activates ? Last time I check they don't teach you to try to lock up the brakes in driving school to get familiar with the ABS feed back. Also 99% of the drivers will never know what happens when the ABS systems activates because they will never lock up there brakes....

MAKAVELI

LOL How would anyone know what the feed back is when the ABS system activates unless they lock up the brakes and it actually activates ? Last time I check they don't teach you to try to lock up the brakes in driving school to get familiar with the ABS feed back. Also 99% of the drivers will never know what happens when the ABS systems activates because they will never lock up there brakes....
Anybody who has been driving the past 20 years , should know that it is impossible to lock the the brakes up when the ABS is working properly.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
When the ABS is kicking, you will feel it in the pedal. My center has a smooth concrete floor, so it is really easy to determine if it is working.

rod

Retired 22 years
ABS helps big time on ice. Also my Harley has ABS on it and I know it saved me one time when some idiot pulled out in front of me. I was able to panic brake and maintain control at the same time. That being said our mechanic was notorious for putting black tape over idiot lights.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Wish I'd had ABS on my old GS 650 about 15 years ago. I locked the front up when some joker pulled into the HOV while I was at speed in gridlock. Not my best judgement, I know. Just as the front started to tuck, I let off and she stood back up. Matched their speed , and reapplied with about 10 feet to spare.

Last edited:

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
ABS helps big time on ice. Also my Harley has ABS on it and I know it saved me one time when some idiot pulled out in front of me. I was able to panic brake and maintain control at the same time. That being said our mechanic was notorious for putting black tape over idiot lights.
Idiot gets creamed by big truck. End of story. Byline 1970's.

UPSGUY72

Anybody who has been driving the past 20 years , should know that it is impossible to lock the the brakes up when the ABS is working properly.

Should I say try to lock up the brakes. Either way they don't teach it in driving school (UPS or public) and most people would panic once they felt the feed back as most people can't drive worth a crap as they are doing everything but driving these days..

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Twice in the last 2 months I have "educated" new drivers on how to adjust the parking brake handle after the previous driver completely backed it off. Talk to me about safety. "Oh Mr.Mechanic, the parking brake doesn't work." I think we have more serious and mundane safety issues to deal with.

Last edited:

Packmule

Mines been on for years now. Most of the other 700s in our building are. Stopped writing them up years ago after a fishy comment by our mechanic left me the impression UPS automotive doesn't want them fixed and doesn't want to openly admit that.
After a few hard slow downs for deer, and thousands of icy stops, I haven't felt the pulse of the ABS brake in a long time and really don't miss it.

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
I LOVE our mechanics! I write up vehicles for random things like rear camera out and dome light not working and I get awesome replies like "don't back up" and my favorite,in regards to rear camera,is"they are disabled due to frequent dead battery service calls". During safety meeting last month I gave the mechanics supervisor a picture of the replies and asked him if his department was ready for the ensuing lawsuit from a driver getting injured in the cab because the light is out.....crickets!

DOK

The abs light comes on when there is a code set by the abs computer. ABS prevents the brakes from locking up during harsh/extreme stops or when there is a loss of traction while braking (activates pump that pumps brake fluid many times per second which is why you sometimes feel a buzzing or strong pulsation when you lose traction while coming to a stop ie: stopping on ice covered roads). While having a properly working abs system is ideal I personally don't consider it something that requires immediate attention and will generally just add it to my work schedule then fix it when I have some free time outside of more urgent repairs.

While I can see how it would add more work, doesn't ignoring it or pushing it off open ups and the mechanic up to major litigation if the driver is involved in some sort of breaking/hydro planing accident?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

I would think that anybody in the snow belt would learn what ABS feels like sometime between the end of November and the middle of January.

Down south? Not so much.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
While I can see how it would add more work, doesn't ignoring it or pushing it off open ups and the mechanic up to major litigation if the driver is involved in some sort of breaking/hydro planing accident?
ABS is not a shaded area on the PMI form. Not a failing inspection item.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
m22l87.gif