Is your HUB as screwed up as mine?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I dont have a problem with standards.

If the company wants standards, then negotiate them into the labor agreement.

I do not want management to have the ability to make up the standards as they go along, and apply them only to those they choose.
As they currently TRY to do.

some drivers have stereos that hookup to their truck. I'll probably do the same.
Uh, ok, I guess. Read this and see what could happen to you.

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/fire-at-riviera-beach-building.239348/

M

Mike23

Go to walmart, get some rechargeable batteries, a battery charger and cheap @$$ radio that runs on batteries. Then tape it to your dash...voila! A tape deck

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Go to walmart, get some rechargeable batteries, a battery charger and cheap @$$ radio that runs on batteries. Then tape it to your dash...voila! A tape deck
I think BrOwN_PrIdE will have to attach it to his/her _______ blank, for now. This is like the old match game. Any takers?

tieguy

Banned
As a preloader, what can headphones be a distraction to? People can think while listening to music. Its not like you go into some kind of zone of nothingness.
I'm not trying to drown out the voices, but rather that annoying buzzing noise that goes off every other second along with the humming of the belt.
I think preloading provides a great opportunity to listen to your music. It's like working out with music.
It's easy going 4 hours without music, but going in mon-fri having to see and hear the same ole stuff gets pretty dull sometimes.

Jackson Mississippi had an employee listening to earphones get crushed by a tractor trailer. He never heard the trailer backing in on top of him.

The annoying buzz noise you hear is meant to be heard and warn you that a belt is getting ready to start.

I'm not going to do a half ass wire job to my truck.

I can hear the buzzer when i listen to my headphones because i listen to one headphone, not both. I can still hear it with both.

And no they don't have music playing in the hub, i wish they did.

Good thing I don't work near tractor trailors.

tieguy

Banned

I can hear the buzzer when i listen to my headphones because i listen to one headphone, not both. I can still hear it with both.

well ups is clearly screwed up here and beyond hope. I think you're just going to have to start your own parcel delivery service since you have all the answers.:happy-very:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

You're not the first person that has had all the answers, and certainly not the last. Good luck to you.:whiteflag:

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
i don't understand why we can't wear headphones when they allow deaf people to work in the hub.

A deaf person generally has developed higher visual acuity to compensate for the loss of hearing.:smart:

Being deaf does not distract from the job; can you say that about headphones?

And in the same breathe, the cord that connects to your headphones...hazard.:happy2:

bigbrownhen

Do you have to have the I Pod? Can you get one of those boom boxes that the I Pod hooks into and set it up next to your work area, or is that not allowed as well? Perhaps if someone asked one of the Sups about getting a radio going they would, we have one in our center. Never know until you try.
Sorry, but I think the headphones in one or both ears is a hazard and a distraction. JMO

wrecker

I bring a rechargeable worksite radio with an ipod in the hub. Some of my coworkers provided cds to add to my playlist. I'll play anything.

Headphones exist that don't cover your ears. Airdrives and audio bone. I have the airdrives. Prefer the "boom box", but they are a good solution.

rod

Retired 22 years
My old center was sooooooooo screwed up that our center manager told us we were the worst one in the district. After talking to other drivers from other centers it became apparent that every center was the worst one in the district.

"Games People Play" - Joe South - 1969

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

Oh yea, as I've said hearing people, buzzers and anything else isnt a problem. Infact you should be able to hear better while playing music. I used to use one in each ear. I could still hear sups yelling last rev before anyone else did.

The whole reason I loved listening to music is the way it inpowered me to walk faster and load better. I also said it was a moral booster. Tell yea all the truth my sup has said the same words along those lines. Moral booster is actually a term used in the military. Alike a dance or banquet, all to get your spirts high.

A thread titled "depression for drivers" A lack of moral boosters from your sups is the problem. Everyone should have a want to come the work the next day. A feeling that your sups will take care of you. You just have to know how to manipulate the terms in your favor.

As for that person who was killed at work. I am sure there are more things going on there then just mp3 players, vest and cones. The guy couldve not been paying attention to what was going down. The person killed couldve not used proper exits. You name it, I would like to see the story if someone has a link. Thanks!

komokazi

i don't understand why we can't wear headphones when they allow deaf people to work in the hub.

We aren't allowed to bring anything into the hub, no cell phones, no ipods, no nothing. I believe its because those are items that were stolen frequently from the hub, so no part timer is allowed to bring phones or anything like that unless you're a supervisor.

Mesquite TX, 7519 hub.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
We aren't allowed to bring anything into the hub, no cell phones, no ipods, no nothing. I believe its because those are items that were stolen frequently from the hub, so no part timer is allowed to bring phones or anything like that unless you're a supervisor.

Mesquite TX, 7519 hub.

They call it out HUB, I dont know about others, Clean in clean out. The guards are told to make sure one with these items will need a pass to leave. Its a prevention of stealing high end items as you said. UPS deals with 100% needed items. Unlike usps which deals with about 40% junk mail. Alot of the items you handle in boxes are paid for and high end products someone really needs or wants.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Favorite question ever... Have you ever preloaded a shift before?

Darlin, I started in preload. I worked my a&& off for my drivers and gave them the best load I could. I learned from my drivers how to do my job. It sure the hell wasn't mgt that taught me. I appreciate my preloaders, the good ones. The bad ones I don't have time for. They make my day that much longer. Don't tell me how bad you have it. I had a non-automated system and non-pas with trucks parked outside summer and winter. Any other questions?

komokazi

They call it out HUB, I dont know about others, Clean in clean out. The guards are told to make sure one with these items will need a pass to leave. Its a prevention of stealing high end items as you said. UPS deals with 100% needed items. Unlike usps which deals with about 40% junk mail. Alot of the items you handle in boxes are paid for and high end products someone really needs or wants.

What do you mean by "They call it out HUB..."

Yeah, if you bring a phone or something you will have to have a pass. If you somehow manage to get a phone or something of the like into the building and try to leave with it, you will need to be cleared by head of security.