Is your HUB as screwed up as mine?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
A deaf person generally has developed higher visual acuity to compensate for the loss of hearing.:smart:

Being deaf does not distract from the job; can you say that about headphones?

And in the same breathe, the cord that connects to your headphones...hazard.:happy2:

Whomever made the deaf person to Ipod argument should have their brain checked.

The thing is though, in our hub, the radio (which is wired throughout the "hub" parts - primary, small sort) is usually very loud. It alone can cause you not to hear thigns in your surroundings.

Also, I would like to add that the newer generation headphones are wireless and do not have that "hazard" cord.

Anyway, to my knowledge, crackign down on either usage of headphones/ipod/music device, headphone in one ear or any ear, etc is usually a flavor of the month type thing and only there to bring morale down within the work environment to either a single person or a few people. I'd have to agree with ORLY on that issue.

IF it is claimed that for safety reasons Ipod, headphone, etc are not allowed - then is it not ironic that one of the unsafest companies that couldnt give a rats :censored2: about safety beyond the insurance numbers and injury related numbers, is harping safety by limiting the use of portable music? Of all the possible upgrades, additions, clerical mats, 3 point seatbelts, that could be improved upon/added...you get the idea.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Darlin, I started in preload. I worked my a&& off for my drivers and gave them the best load I could. I learned from my drivers how to do my job. It sure the hell wasn't mgt that taught me. I appreciate my preloaders, the good ones. The bad ones I don't have time for. They make my day that much longer. Don't tell me how bad you have it. I had a non-automated system and non-pas with trucks parked outside summer and winter. Any other questions?

I know how you feel. The best taught about preloading for me was from a driver and a main building sup. I know, its a harsh life. I worked my butt off just to get it handed to me later on.

I was only poking at the % of people who did preload that are drivers now. You'd be surprised how many full time drivers never preloaded or know the task at hand. My back hurts, im always tired and cant seem to get any sleep. I've spent a total of 146 hours awake one week. Trust me, I know.

About getting what I want, there should be something that gives people a scrap of freedom or liberty of their choices. It all rains down upon responsibilities, knowing when to and not to.

Last edited:

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
i don't understand why we can't wear headphones when they allow deaf people to work in the hub.

A deaf person generally has developed higher visual acuity to compensate for the loss of hearing.:smart:

Being deaf does not distract from the job; can you say that about headphones?

And in the same breathe, the cord that connects to your headphones...hazard.:happy2:

Thank you for saying what I really wanted to post....

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The whole reason I loved listening to music is the way it inpowered me to walk faster and load better. I also said it was a moral booster. Tell yea all the truth my sup has said the same words along those lines. Moral booster is actually a term used in the military. Alike a dance or banquet, all to get your spirts high.

A thread titled "depression for drivers" A lack of moral boosters from your sups is the problem. Everyone should have a want to come the work the next day. A feeling that your sups will take care of you. You just have to know how to manipulate the terms in your favor.
This ain't Heaven, it's UPS, and it has it's highs and lows, just like every other thing in life. I think it's time to get a grip and realize that it's you who need to change/adapt to reality. JMHO, as always.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
This ain't Heaven, it's UPS, and it has it's highs and lows, just like every other thing in life. I think it's time to get a grip and realize that it's you who need to change/adapt to reality. JMHO, as always.
You beat me to it, Steven. I really was going to try and be nice but probably not as nice as you were. :wink2:

Look Orly, someone already said it's the flavor of the month. It is. Our preloaders go through the same just as I did when I was in preload. Whining about it is not going to change anything. UPS is UPS and they ain't gonna change their ways. It is what it is. Next month they will be on to something else. But let me tell you something, safety is safety and it starts with you. How would you feel if the employee that was killed, because he didn't hear or was not paying attention to what was going on around him, was a family member of yours? What if it had been you? Maybe that person thought, "oh no big deal, I can hear".

UPS isn't about personal freedom. They are paying you to do a job the way they want it done. I'm not saying it is right or wrong it just is. The problem with personal responsibility is that some do not get it and they are the ones that cause UPS to say 'no more'. :peaceful:

fethrs

There are lots of "screwed" up things going on at my hub and it's a big hub. I see it, hear it, work it, and live it every day 5 days a week 8 hours a day. If you've been around UPS long enough (and I think 13 years is long enough) you will know that the flavor of the month will come and go. Some things aren't worth worrying about and fussing over. :peaceful:

screamin chicken

I use to put my Dewalt radio on the pass. side floor where the heater motor is, and I really did not play all that loud and my center manager told me after 6 months of doing this I had to leave it in the back, So I now put on the top shelf behind the drivers seat and I play it as loud as it will go.:peaceful:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Darlin, I started in preload. I worked my a&& off for my drivers and gave them the best load I could. I learned from my drivers how to do my job. It sure the hell wasn't mgt that taught me. I appreciate my preloaders, the good ones. The bad ones I don't have time for. They make my day that much longer. Don't tell me how bad you have it. I had a non-automated system and non-pas with trucks parked outside summer and winter.

Any other questions?

No Ma'am!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
No Ma'am!
:wink2: Sorry Hoax, I had to correct it.

Madam, Mdame, ma'am, or Mme is a Title for a woman. It is derived from the French madame (see different meanings of madame here), the equivalent of Mrs. or Ms., and literally signifying "my lady." The plural of madam in this sense is mesdames. The French madame is in turn derived from the Latin mea domina meaning 'my mistress' of the home (domus). "Madam" may also refer to a woman who runs a brothel

Last edited:

pemanager

Sleeve,

There are alternative methods, like the buddy system, for the safety of those who are deaf. If you can't hear the evacuation alarm because of earbuds there is no one designated to immediately get you. So, if listened to loud enough, yes, Ipods can be worse for your safety than being deaf.

upssup

Now I have an issue with this. I know of two package cars in FL that burned to the ground because of stereo's hooked into the package car. Absolutely a no no!

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Is your HUB as screwed up as mine?

Recently a driver was pulled over by a cop while on the job. Low and behold the check on the onboard computer comes back as a suspended license. The driver in the past has been walked out of the building four times. Two times for totaling cars and the other two I have no clue as to why. I am sure the guy will be back in the HUB sometime, whenever he gets out of lockup. But as for a company that basically swoons over its high standards this is rather shameful.

Does anyone have that driver that is grotesquely overweight? I’m not picking on large people, but isn’t this like the military? In the military they frown upon such things. I mean the guys belly is hanging out and he is using baby steps just to move. He is wheezing madly trying to make a distance. Is driving that easy? I know its long hours but on a physical standard. A friend of mine came back into the HUB to work along side of me in a feeder house. Before this he was 320 pounds. He is also a replacement driver. In about 3 months time he dropped 70 pounds and is now 250 pounds, amazing.

People getting sighted for stealing, not caught. They are back to work the following day. People driving irregular carts that have obvious metal disorders and quite a few that cant even speak English, most of which are package car divers. A few pre loaders finished early and standing around in their cars 20-30 minutes before a shift ends. Package car divers getting their license revoked because they were caught speeding off the job.

I mean I’m rather fresh to UPS. I have been around a year and 4 months on my belt as of now. All these things, I am sure there will be lots more to come. Just thought I add some stories for your eyes. Does anyone have relative material to share? Thanks!

:rofl:Fat drivers, smashing up cars 1 at a time, steeling while explaining mental handicap in broken english????????????

Either your center is in the twighlight zone or your venting off a bad day!!!!

Am I the only 1 who thinks this is just a flaming frenzy. come on.

This seems an impossibility from the perspective at my center.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve,

There are alternative methods, like the buddy system, for the safety of those who are deaf. If you can't hear the evacuation alarm because of earbuds there is no one designated to immediately get you. So, if listened to loud enough, yes, Ipods can be worse for your safety than being deaf.

you missed the point.

First of all, someone else said that they do not see the difference between an I-Pod and being deaf. You are agreeing with me, then, i said they need to "get their head checked" because that is imo, ridiculous! to even begin comparing.

secondly, the volume our primary and hub blasts the music is so loud some days you cannot hear talk to your sup or co-worker. It is literlaly 2x as loud as I would wear my I-pod ( which I can hear everything around me, buzzers people talking etc). It overpowers my single headphone (cannot wear both ears).

upser_J

Sleeve,

first....wow... if you are listening to headphones loud enough that you can't hear an alarm or buzzer, you will most likely be going deaf shortly anyways!!!!! Second, it is a huge flavor of the month... oh we have nothing to bitch and moan about this week, hmmm why not this, it goes around our hub every 2 years or so. Third, the majority of inside workers all work together to some degree. No one person is in a position where if he didn't hear an evac buzzer, its not like he wouldn't see a bunch of people leaving, belts going off, etc. We work in large buildings, not in an isolated cave. However, yes there may be safety issues for certain individuals... pick offs shouldn't have a radio blaring in there ears mainly because they are responsible to shut off belts in case of an emergency. But at the same time you can't single out certain people and say only you can't listen to mp3 players! Finally, the whole, you can't bring it in rules, is def bull****! if you own a cell or an mp3 player and bring it in, there is going to be obvious evidence to ath.. for example, it shouldn't be too hard to prove that I've owned this mp3 player when I came into the building since it has already has music on it! Now there will be times when your phone dies and I guess you have no way to prove that you own it by those means, but there's gotta be a better way.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
At our building you sign ipods, mp3, cell phones, etc. in when you come through the guardshack. Everyone is allowed to listen to music if they choose. The only people who aren't required to check phones in and out are the drivers, (don't ask me why. No idea). As far as UPS being compared to the military, slight resemblance at best. If you want freedom to do as you wish when you wish, UPS offers you the freedom to end your service with them at any point for any reason. The military doesn't. Get over it.

komokazi

first....wow... if you are listening to headphones loud enough that you can't hear an alarm or buzzer, you will most likely be going deaf shortly anyways!!!!! Second, it is a huge flavor of the month... oh we have nothing to bitch and moan about this week, hmmm why not this, it goes around our hub every 2 years or so. Third, the majority of inside workers all work together to some degree. No one person is in a position where if he didn't hear an evac buzzer, its not like he wouldn't see a bunch of people leaving, belts going off, etc. We work in large buildings, not in an isolated cave. However, yes there may be safety issues for certain individuals... pick offs shouldn't have a radio blaring in there ears mainly because they are responsible to shut off belts in case of an emergency. But at the same time you can't single out certain people and say only you can't listen to mp3 players! Finally, the whole, you can't bring it in rules, is def bull****! if you own a cell or an mp3 player and bring it in, there is going to be obvious evidence to ath.. for example, it shouldn't be too hard to prove that I've owned this mp3 player when I came into the building since it has already has music on it! Now there will be times when your phone dies and I guess you have no way to prove that you own it by those means, but there's gotta be a better way.

Meh, you can swap a sim card into a new phone and bam already has a full contact list... or maybe the mp3 player is used and already has music on it. . Our hub has way too many employees at any given time during the day so they just make it easy by saying don't bring it at all.