Is your pet simply property or part of the family?

tourists24

Im torn on how this story should be resolved. What do you think is an appropriate settlement or decision?

ONLY ON 3: Wilmington couple sues over value of dog's life | WWAY NewsChannel 3 | Wilmington NC News

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Nearly every one that has a pet and loves and appreciates what the pet brings into the family will consider that pet a part of the family. If the Pet is ignored in the back yard then not so much. Having a pet brings out our compassion for others. We love it and care for it and in return we usually recieve unconditional love. Even the pet in the backyard that is ignored......all it wants is to please and love its master. Not that the master cares.
SO.....I can see how some take it to the extreme when it comes to how they view the animal that is a part of their lives. I know some that have spent extraordinary amounts of money to maintain the health of their pet. Let's be practical though. If the animial could talk and think and behave like a human then save it. My biggest pet peeve is impressing human traits on animals. Think of all the annoying commercials that have creatures smiling and dancing and talking and holding their groin area because they have to pee. Sure.....animals have personalities and are quite intellingent but they are not human.

Last edited:
Im torn on how this story should be resolved. What do you think is an appropriate settlement or decision?

ONLY ON 3: Wilmington couple sues over value of dog's life | WWAY NewsChannel 3 | Wilmington NC News
My opinion is probably not going to be popular, but what the heck. The people should be awarded a given amount of money with the stipulation that it is used solely for the purpose of providing mental care to the couple to realize that this is a DOG, not a child. Anyone that will run up a $28K bill to save a dog is just insane IMO. The dog probably had little chance of being saved anyway. The people of this country have lost lost the concept of priorities. How many people, human beings, could $28K feed?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My opinion is probably not going to be popular, but what the heck. The people should be awarded a given amount of money with the stipulation that it is used solely for the purpose of providing mental care to the couple to realize that this is a DOG, not a child. Anyone that will run up a $28K bill to save a dog is just insane IMO. The dog probably had little chance of being saved anyway. The people of this country have lost lost the concept of priorities. How many people, human beings, could $28K feed?

According to some of those TV commercials at $.50/day you could feed 56K people.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I dont know. I would spend what I have to save my dogs. If it would result in lengthening life, and a quality life.
This is not so much about the worth of an animal, as it is about a veterinarian making a fatal error. That should be worth a little more than the cost of replacing an animal. It is a malpractice suit.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Both my schnauzers had cancer and had to be put down.....ages 13 and 14.

They were comfortable 'til the day I knew it was time to go to the vet for the "shot".

I could not see spending exorbitant amounts of money on dogs that age, and maybe just extending their life a few months longer.

I've loved my dogs, but wouldn't go into debt over them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I suppose the answer would depend upon my perspective at the moment that I am asked the question. I am currently in excellent health and if asked today I would say that it does apply to humans. Ask me again in 20-30 years and the answer may not be the same.

My living well has a DNR directive--this should tell you what my feeling on this subject is.

moreluck

golden ticket member
When I take my dog to the vet, they call her Mocha "my last name". That's ok, but when they say, "are you Mocha's mom?" I always say, "Do I look like a bitch to you?" It gets them everytime. I get the wide-eyed look.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I take my dog to the vet, they call her Mocha "my last name". That's ok, but when they say, "are you Mocha's mom?" I always say, "Do I look like a bitch to you?" It gets them everytime. I get the wide-eyed look.

Care to post a poll asking that question?:wink2:

(I bet your local butcher votes "yes")

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Our cats are family and that's how we value them, but I would not expect the state the reimburse us for what is essentially a malpractice situation. The vet should have to answer for his mistake and damages should be levied against him or his insurance company.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Care to post a poll asking that question?:wink2:

(I bet your local butcher votes "yes")
No poll needed....I wear the moniker proudly !! I don't take crap from anyone (anymore). My filter has worn very thin with age and I pretty much say what I want and don't care who's nearby!

IMHO, anyone that puts animals i.e. dogs, cats, horses etc on the same level as humans is not using all the brain matter the good Lord gave the animals.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The "malpractice" started when the veterinarian agreed to perform $28,000 worth of cancer treatment on a dog.

I am the biggest softie in the world when it comes to dogs, my dogs are my babies and I love them, but I could never justify $28K worth of chemo on a dog with a 12-15 yr maximum life expectancy.

If I even had $28K to spend on a dog that was that sick, I would have it humanely euthanized and donate that money to a local animal shelter or a fund to help low-income people afford veterinary care for their pets.

In this particular case, there is no gurantee that the dog would have lived much longer even of the vet had not made the mistake that he did, so $28K in damages is not an appropriate resolution. The vet should be required to replace the dog, plus perhaps a small amount for the emotional distress caused by his mistake.

island1fox

I do not put animals on the same level as humans. My Kitties-- I love them and they add alot fun and unconditional love to the family.

I would spend money to save them but would not be stupid about it. If it was going to cause hurt or extend their lives in pain --I would put them to sleep painlessly. I know that the day will come when that will happen --but until then I will spoil them !!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
IMHO, anyone that puts animals i.e. dogs, cats, horses etc on the same level as humans is not using all the brain matter the good Lord gave the animals.
I think most people value those who are closest to them, including their pets. For instance I value my wife more than our cats, but I value my cats more than 99% of the people I meet during the course of the day. We contribute equally to charities that benefit both people and animals.

The big picture is that ultimately this is a selfish act by the owners to prolong a dogs life that should be humanely put out of its misery.