ISP teamsters

FedGT

Why not, since this is the new go to over the last week lets do the logic here.
Apparently now there is going to be union magic going after everyone that has 5 employees post 2020. Besides the fact they have to unionize hundreds if not thousands of contractors workers are the other "facts" that everyone tries to post that want it both ways and the fact we are small businesses that can fire our employees.
Anyways, now we are all union people, competitive wages at $80,000 per driver which FedEx would never pay us enough to achieve. FedEx now obviously decides to abandon the model to make people employees and knocks unions back out because of their stipulations that always gets them out of it with Express. So now once again they have wasted a lot of time to still have no employees paying union dues. Even if they couldn't use the same stipulations they would still have to battle FedEx unionizing on separate issue rather than contractors as the middleman so it would still be tied up for decades in the courts before anything would happen

All seems like a smart way to spend a lot of time and money. Let's all hold our breath.

Last edited:

It will be fine

The teamsters have failed to organize the Freight division. They haven't even tried to schedule a vote in about a year now. Their product doesn't sell. It's not a realistic concern for any ISP.

FedGT

Fully agree!

Getting quite tired of reading it on every post from pretty much 3 individuals on every topic so am hoping they can get it out here so we can go back to at least some better back and forth with more relevant information.

dmac1

Fully agree!

Getting quite tired of reading it on every post from pretty much 3 individuals on every topic so am hoping they can get it out here so we can go back to at least some better back and forth with more relevant information.

It is never good in business to pay any attention to those with opinions different than yours.

FedGT

It is never good in business to pay any attention to those with opinions different than yours.
Disagree with you again. Opinions are fine but for the same constant argument it get quite old. Everyone can argue with a what if statement but show me proof where we are anywhere near that especially with P&D.

I'll give you another question too. Changes aren't going to be in effect nationwide till mid 2020 so when do you propose is the realistic time frame to convert these thousands of drivers??

Last edited:

bacha29

As I mentioned before. The employees of the small municipal police force that serves the community I live in are union. And guess who represents them? The Teamsters. All 6 of them But as I said before, the Teamsters are a potential to become a real threat to you ISP's but too obvious to worry about. Other forces that are not so visible are what you need to be concerned with. What is so amazing about you guys is your blind faith and belief that X will always take measures designed to protect your interest in the face of a changing environment especially the kind that will costs them money when their actions speak completely to the contrary

It will be fine

As I mentioned before. The employees of the small municipal police force that serves the community I live in are union. And guess who represents them? The Teamsters. All 6 of them But as I said before, the Teamsters are a potential to become a real threat to you ISP's but too obvious to worry about. Other forces that are not so visible are what you need to be concerned with. What is so amazing about you guys is your blind faith and belief that X will always take measures designed to protect your interest in the face of a changing environment especially the kind that will costs them money when their actions speak completely to the contrary
I know fedex will take measures to protect their interest. As of right now and for the foreseeable future my interests coincide with theirs. They will defend the ISP contractor model and if necessary adjust it to avoid future lawsuits. To stay on topic, they will eliminate any contractor with drivers represented by the teamsters. This will make it very easy to convince my workforce that union representation would not end well for any of us.

bacha29

Thank you Mr. IWBF. you have validated what I have been saying all along. They're YOUR employees .If they voted to go union and you decided to strike a contract deal with them that's your right as an employer to do so but X would terminate you in a heartbeat. It's just like their demand for access to documents pertaining to your company that is private information protected by law.It's "give it up pal or you're gone".Now you're sandwiched between the need to give your people enough compensation to discourage them from seeking a union vote and downward settlement pressure from a company seeking to mazimize returns. Don't get me wrong . Iwish you much success. But your comments are a clear admission on your part that you are in no way shape or form an independent contractor in the true sense of the word. Am I gloating? Not in the least. As I said earlier carping back and forth with each other does nothing. The overiding question is how to get in place the language that will free you to make all of the decisions that a tradional indepedent contractor has right to do not just a portion of them as is the case right now.Now let's see what we can do together on this.

FedGT

I don't see how that validates you. If I am "truly independent" I would be fine with unions coming in and making me pay more out in payroll than I can make without any expenses. Unions are not acceptable to virtually any employer.
Look at a franchise if all their employees wanted to be unionized do you honestly believe that virtually any of them would change up pay structures so that, that franchisee could pay double what another does, no they would say it is your problem and either go under or deal with your problem. What I don't understand in these points is when is a contract virtually ever not one sided. Sign up for directv is it one sided, sign up for a new phone is it one sided, franchise with McDonald's, Subway, Great clips, you better believe they are going to have very similar deals of how the business operates and what there standards are. Most contracts are not favorable to both parties but they still are very profitable for both sides, have mutual goals, and in no danger of being terminated if you are fulfilling the agreement.

dmac1

I don't see how that validates you. If I am "truly independent" I would be fine with unions coming in and making me pay more out in payroll than I can make without any expenses. Unions are not acceptable to virtually any employer.
Look at a franchise if all their employees wanted to be unionized do you honestly believe that virtually any of them would change up pay structures so that, that franchisee could pay double what another does, no they would say it is your problem and either go under or deal with your problem. What I don't understand in these points is when is a contract virtually ever not one sided. Sign up for directv is it one sided, sign up for a new phone is it one sided, franchise with McDonald's, Subway, Great clips, you better believe they are going to have very similar deals of how the business operates and what there standards are. Most contracts are not favorable to both parties but they still are very profitable for both sides, have mutual goals, and in no danger of being terminated if you are fulfilling the agreement.

Difference is that you CAN be terminated from your fedex contract without cause and without notice. And only later can you challenge it. And even if you win the arbitration a year later that will cost $1000s upfront, your damages are limited. Have you even read the termination provisions of the contract?????????????????????

FedGT

Difference is that you CAN be terminated from your fedex contract without cause and without notice. And only later can you challenge it. And even if you win the arbitration a year later that will cost $1000s upfront, your damages are limited. Have you even read the termination provisions of the contract?????????????????????
Yeah, just like any other route contract out there. Pepperidge farm, boars head, snyders, etc. it isn't an easy process for them, regardless of how easy some try to portray it. I am in a fairly large terminal, only 1 contractor has ever been terminated for forging signatures for a national retailer, leaving the boxes outside, when the VP happened to be visiting the store. Do your job and what you are supposed to, don't cause problems and you stay contracting.

bacha29

It still comes down to the same question How much unsecured capital a perspective contractor is willing to put at risk in exchange for the terms X is offering that clearly restricts the contractors legal recourse.As DMAC clearly pointed out in arbitration clause X reserves the exclusive right to choose who will sit on the arbitration panel making for a stacked deck designed to make the contractors chance of prevailing near zero. When X demanded access to my confidential and protected by law payroll records that was it for me. They had stepped across the line and they knew it but nothing was going to stop them in their overzealous effort to protect their company's interests.