Issues during qualifying..

BUCN85

Just curious if I have any cases to file on.. I am in the process of qualifying at a different hub then I actually work at due to my hub not having enough drivers off for me to get my days in... I am on day 10 or 11. And have only been given 2 8 hour days that make it possible to scratch on my route. Also it seems each day Is never the same as the last. I was trained in a certain area. But now I'll get 15-20 stops I've never seen before. Then the next day I won't have that section but I'll have another section that I've never seen before. How am I supposed to qualify when I am not given any sort of consistency? Any thoughts? My hub is looking into this situation as well

"This is called the pre-LOAD not the pre-STACK"

oldngray

nowhere special
If they jerk you around with dispatch they should take that into account as to whether they qualify you. Its not as simple as it would be if you ran under plan every day but if you are a good worker they should still qualify you. It just adds a bit of doubt to the equation.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
keep a log, and write everything down. It will come in handy should they DQ you for not driving scratch. All they are doing is using a temporary cover driver.

BUCN85

The whole situation sucks because I'm already having to drive 1hr20 mins to this hub to go out on a route in an area I have never been before the. Getting things switched around with no consistency. It is just making things harder then they need to be

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What does an 8 hour dispatch have to do with anything??? It has been a while, but when I qualified, 10+ hour days were the norm.
If your dispatch is under 8 you can not scratch.

Let's use this example. You run the route in 7 hours. Your plan is 7.5. You get paid 8 hours. Therefor you're a half hour over.

BUCN85

Let's use this example. You run the route in 7 hours. Your plan is 7.5. You get paid 8 hours. Therefor you're a half hour over.
Yes that is what I'm saying. It has been less then 8 hours all but 2 days and the 2 days it was 8 or over I was sent to sections with 15-20 stops and several Pick ups I've never seen before that I was not shown prior

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes and no. The OR will show the 7.5 planned day and 7.0 paid day. It will also show the 8 hour guarantee and, yes, it will show you as being .50 over when in reality you were .50 under with 1.00 guarantee pay.

Man Of Brown

That sucks. I just finished day 10 myself but I've only run the same route. The resi stops change but not business. Our district policy is you only run one route during your packet. Which is nice but limits the days I drive. I haven't hit scratch yet but they say I'm doing a good job.

My stewards have said we can argue performance but not safety. So do what you can and hopefully your sups understand or you have a good steward.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Just curious if I have any cases to file on.. I am in the process of qualifying at a different hub then I actually work at due to my hub not having enough drivers off for me to get my days in... I am on day 10 or 11. And have only been given 2 8 hour days that make it possible to scratch on my route. Also it seems each day Is never the same as the last. I was trained in a certain area. But now I'll get 15-20 stops I've never seen before. Then the next day I won't have that section but I'll have another section that I've never seen before. How am I supposed to qualify when I am not given any sort of consistency? Any thoughts?

Expecting to be running scratch by day 10 or 11, is a little premature.

Develop your methods and a smooth routine. That will help, more than anything.

Running scratch 5 days, is a company thing. I have seen drivers get qualified never running scratch.

Get used to having other work put on you. Right now.... it's a test. Later, it's poor dispatching.

Deliver by commit times, don't miss pickups, and don't hit anything. You will be OK.

Keep track of it all.
keep a log, and write everything down. It will come in handy should they DQ you for not driving scratch.

Good advice.

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
That sucks. I just finished day 10 myself but I've only run the same route. The resi stops change but not business. Our district policy is you only run one route during your packet.

They can add or subtract work.

But, if they stick you on a different route during your qualification period....

The company has "bought" you. (meaning automatic qualification)

Nice Avatar. :biggrin:

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
As long as over half the work remains the same UPS can claim its still the same route. Unfair to a trainee but allowed.

In the Central, the training routes have to be identified. (I'm sure you know)

They seem to be consistently dispatched.

After all.... a supervisor has to be able to run it, for demonstration purposes.

-Bug-

BUCN85

Expecting to be running scratch by day 10 or 11, is a little premature.

Develop your methods and a smooth routine. That will help, more than anything.

Running scratch 5 days, is a company thing. I have seen drivers get qualified never running scratch.

Get used to having other work put on you. Right now.... it's a test. Later, it's poor dispatching.

Deliver by commit times, don't miss pickups, and don't hit anything. You will be OK.

Good advice.

-Bug-
Well they said I have just 9 days left and seem pretty attament on scratching 5 days in a row

hyena

Well they said I have just 9 days left and seem pretty attament on scratching 5 days in a row

Make sure you scratch the five days or they won't qualify you( at least not in my center). Do whatever you have to do drive around the area ( in your car when you get off work or on the weekend)and try to learn it the best you can. Good luck.

Overpaid Union Thug

The whole situation sucks because I'm already having to drive 1hr20 mins to this hub to go out on a route in an area I have never been before the. Getting things switched around with no consistency. It is just making things harder then they need to be

This would never happen in my local.