issues with union dues

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by nick12ivi, Aug 28, 2014.

1. nick12ivi

nick12ivi New Member

Hello. I work at the chelmsford mass hub, and am a member of the local 25. When i was hired, i was told repeatedly that starting with my second paycheck, for 16 weeks i would pay 32 dollars to pay the 500$ initiation fee, and THEN pay the 49 dollar union dues for 5 weeks. This week is my last week paying off the 500$, however they took union dues as well, when i was repeatedly told that would start next week. I even have papers from when i was hired saying that. If i talk to human resources, would they be able to fix this? I really cant afford to pay 32 dollars AND 49 dollars in the same week

2. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

That's the breaks....I remember when I started...they did the same thing...it hurt.

3. nick12ivi

nick12ivi New Member

So theres nothing i can do? Even if i have paper work saying that they weren't supposed to take it yet? I got a kid i gotta support, i can't feed my family for a week on fifty bucks :/

4. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

UPS has nothing to do with it-----they are simply doing what the union has told them to do.

Call your union hall.

5. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

6. Call the hall and explain what your perception is of what you should be paying. If yiu are right they'll cut you a check. A five hundred dollar initiation fee seems way to high.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  7. Ron Carey lives on

Ron Carey lives on Well-Known Member

Never heard of a 500 dollar initiation fee? Payroll takes your dues out. Call your BA or dues department, and get them on same page with payroll

Sent using BrownCafe App

8. you aint even know it

you aint even know it Well-Known Troll Troll

$500 initiation fee and you're only making about $120 a week!! Thats crazy. Greedy bastards!! Stuff like that makes people hate unions.

9. you aint even know it

If I were you, I would quit UPS and apply for two part-time fast food restaurant jobs. Not worth it messing up your body slinging boxes and getting screwed by union and company. Luckily I was hired the year before the contract was expired, which is the best time to get hired at UPS, you get the gwi instead of crappy low raises.

10. nick12ivi

nick12ivi New Member

I don't want to quit ups, i like my job ( im a loader), i like the people i work with, i just want to get paid what i should be paid

11. you aint even know it

I hope you are planning to become a driver or something besides a loader at UPS.

12. you aint even know it

I see way too many part timers here at UPS with no ambition.

13. nick12ivi

nick12ivi New Member

Im thinking about becoming a driver eventually, but i enjoy loading, as crazy as that sounds. My immediate plan is to find another part time job, and just stay at ups mostly for the benefits

14. you aint even know it

Sounds good. Don't say you're going to do it and don't do it, too many part timers do that.

15. boxcrusher

boxcrusher Member

Wtf? Why a 500 dollar initiation fee? It was only 150 for local 804

16. you aint even know it

I paid $150, but I don't know about other locals. But if I had had to pay $500, I would have showed up to every union meeting and put them on blast.

17. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

like yourself

18. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

Initiation fees vary by local and area. I believe I paid around $400. That would be $400 very well spent dollars.

In the New England area which I'm in they might be higher than other areas of the country. We seem to have a better run union healthcare, pension plan and less problems between management and union employees than the rest of the country...

19. 30 to life

30 to life Active Member

There is an initiation fee for being on bc

20. you aint even know it

Nope. Better than you Mr. Truck driver. In two years, I can be the one that can fire your ass.