Isuzu Truck Questions

Star B

White Lightening
Not even, they make 4x4 sprinters now. Get a few of them with GOOD tires and the ability to turn off the nanny traction control. That should cover any bases that a driver should be experiencing, even in Timbuktu. However, then you run into the human issue of "OH IT WILL HANDLE IT" and then they get stuck.

I will say this... the sprinters they have now are *decent* for delivering. They just need good tires for the winter, not the crappy retreads they use all year.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Not even, they make 4x4 sprinters now. Get a few of them with GOOD tires and the ability to turn off the nanny traction control. That should cover any bases that a driver should be experiencing, even in Timbuktu. However, then you run into the human issue of "OH IT WILL HANDLE IT" and then they get stuck.

I will say this... the sprinters they have now are *decent* for delivering. They just need good tires for the winter, not the crappy retreads they use all year.
I wish I had a Sprinter with those features. I got stuck multiple times this winter because of the PITA traction control.

Star B

White Lightening
Yeah, I almost got stuck a couple of times. One time I had to get out, walk to the intersection, look down the road to make sure nobody was coming for a mile or two, and turn half-blind onto the road. All because of an incline and some slush by the stop sign. If I had an Econoline, I would have just turned off traction control and powered thru it after safely stopping at the sign.

Traction control is a good thing by far, but there are times where you need to be able to completely turn it off. That's why I didn't say "a van" in the prior experience... the GMC vans only half turn off the traction control... I found that out on another great day in the snow.

I grew up in the middle of nowhere, so, tough winter travel is not new to me.

Last edited:

dezguy

I have said it before but I have never been stuck in one of our Sprinters, whether it be the new Mercs or the old Dodges.

I have been in some pretty deep snow and have always been able to power out even with the TC system on.

MAKAVELI

I have said it before but I have never been stuck in one of our Sprinters, whether it be the new Mercs or the old Dodges.

I have been in some pretty deep snow and have always been able to power out even with the TC system on.
Tire quality and condition have a major impact on traction. The cheap ass recaps they have out here in Cali couldn't get you out of a puddle much less deep snow or mud.

dezguy

Tire quality and condition have a major impact on traction. The cheap ass recaps they have out here in Cali couldn't get you out of a puddle much less deep snow or mud.
We use nothing but retreads up here. The only time you'll see anything else is if you happened to get a brand new truck and it has the tires that it came with from the dealership.

Purplepackage

Express had one out where I worked for a couple of days. Absolutely could not keep the thing in brake seals. Undercarriage too light. Engine badly under powered. Might work in Toyko but not Timbuktu. If Express wants something that will work out in the jing weeds go a some old U.S. Army deuce and a halves.

All of our guys out in timbuktu drive the gmc vans. Why? I have no idea, I don't see what the logic is, it doesn't matter if I'm driving 250 miles or if I'm driving 50. Doing 70 deliveries and pups out of a van is hell

Star B

White Lightening
well, I could see a few reasons... driver comfort, less vehicle damage, easier access to fuel, MPG?

Driver comfort.. the vans typically have cushier seats and softer suspensions. Takes the bumps better.
Less vehicle damage: Low branches won't whack the van but will whack the sprinter/reach
Fuel: Every gas station has gas. but not Diesel.
MPG: Possibly??

Yes, tons of stops out of a van sucks, but as long as their not all huge bulks... you'll be able to manage.

Purplepackage

well, I could see a few reasons... driver comfort, less vehicle damage, easier access to fuel, MPG?

Driver comfort? The mercedes sprinters have a pretty decent seat in them, not to mention acces to the cargo area with out going outside.

Ever try to be efficient while having to get out of the drivers door, walk around the side, open sliding door, dig through a huge mess because everything has fallen on each other. *repeat 80 times*

Fuel mileage in those vans is absolutely terrible, a route a cover that does 220-250 miles a day I have to fill every day at least 25-27 gallons

FedexCares

Call me weird, but I actually like the Isuzu reaches. I have been driving one for over 2 years now and I prefer it to most vehicles In our fleet. The turning radius is crazy good and it feels like I'm driving a much smaller truck being able to get in and out of tight spots fairly easily. They have A/C, working cigarette lighter for electronics, and a fairly comfortable seat imo.

That said, their biggest drawback is lack of any suspension whatsoever. They are a rattlebox in every sense of the word and God help you if you hit a speed bump going over 5 mph. They are a bit underpowered but I find they have enough get up and go as long as you don't floor it and induce the awful acceleration lag. Really the biggest thing for me is the lack of suspension and getting the :censored2: beat out of me everyday by all the speed bumps.

McFeely

Huge Member
I don't mind the Isuzu Reach for an in-town route, but my station had me in one on a rural route with tons of dirt roads. That truck is by far the most beat up truck in the station. The washboard roads, mud, potholes, etc. have made that particular truck one of the highest-maintenance-needed trucks in the station. Even with all doors and windows shut on the dirt roads, you'd finish the route with a big layer of dust on every package.

As for in-town routes, they work fine for the most part. Pretty much NO power steering at idle (like cranking the wheel for a u-turn before the accelerator) and no real noticeable power from the engine at all. In town, the lack of turbo isn't a huge deal, but it is a huge safety problem when trying to cross a 4-lane highway with no traffic signals.

The Sprinters we have are great at some things and awful at others. Same goes for the Chevy vans we have.

I just wish I could have an old W700 again.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Call me weird, but I actually like the Isuzu reaches. I have been driving one for over 2 years now and I prefer it to most vehicles In our fleet. The turning radius is crazy good and it feels like I'm driving a much smaller truck being able to get in and out of tight spots fairly easily. They have A/C, working cigarette lighter for electronics, and a fairly comfortable seat imo.

That said, their biggest drawback is lack of any suspension whatsoever. They are a rattlebox in every sense of the word and God help you if you hit a speed bump going over 5 mph. They are a bit underpowered but I find they have enough get up and go as long as you don't floor it and induce the awful acceleration lag. Really the biggest thing for me is the lack of suspension and getting the :censored2: beat out of me everyday by all the speed bumps.

You are weird. You asked. The only thing uglier than the Reach is the ProMaster, which we only rent so far. It's kind of like delivering out of an AMC Pacer wearing a ridiculous purple and orange clown suit.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I am an Isuzu Truck rep for Summit Truck Group. We have Isuzu dealerships in the the Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Tennessee.

I'd like to use this thread to answer any questions you may have no matter where you are located.

I may be able to answer questions on other brands of trucks as well. I look forward to helping out.

Was the designer of the Reach on LSD or crack?

SmithBarney

I wish I had a Sprinter with those features. I got stuck multiple times this winter because of the PITA traction control.
The wiring is there, have your mechanic install the Traction control switch. Lets you shut it off temporarily.
I've driven a properly tired(Blizzaks on all 4 corners) Sprinter(yes a Fedex vehicle) in the Snow, Its a dream machine.

fdxsux

The wiring is there, have your mechanic install the Traction control switch. Lets you shut it off temporarily.
I've driven a properly tired(Blizzaks on all 4 corners) Sprinter(yes a Fedex vehicle) in the Snow, Its a dream machine.
Where do you have to work to get Blizzaks? Alaska?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Driver comfort? The mercedes sprinters have a pretty decent seat in them, not to mention acces to the cargo area with out going outside.

Ever try to be efficient while having to get out of the drivers door, walk around the side, open sliding door, dig through a huge mess because everything has fallen on each other. *repeat 80 times*

Fuel mileage in those vans is absolutely terrible, a route a cover that does 220-250 miles a day I have to fill every day at least 25-27 gallons

Car and Driver tested the Sprinter, Transit, and ProMaster a few months back. Sprinter and Transit both got high marks. ProMastwe got very low marks and they have it especially low ratings for driver comfort.