It doesnt surprise me. . .

Tony31yrs

I retired 2 months before my 25 years safe driving because I couldn't wait to get out. The two safety managers told me, "You've got to stay!" I said," no I don't!" They just wanted to look good because there was another circle of honor driver in their building. I had to have surgery and the award premiums were the same as I just received for 30 yrs of service-so away I went. They moved the dinner to the new district center which was about 150 miles away. I was also ticked off because some of the drivers got charged with accidents when they weren't at fault. It's ironic that they later did away with the awards and dinner. They could at least still give a gift and recognition for the 5,10, 15,20, etc. years. The only good thing was that they no longer gave Circle of Honor drivers that goofy camel-colored sportscoat.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I retired 2 months before my 25 years safe driving because I couldn't wait to get out. The two safety managers told me, "You've got to stay!" I said," no I don't!" They just wanted to look good because there was another circle of honor driver in their building.

And 20 posts later, this thread is back on topic.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Scratch, I've never had an impact wrench that lasted. What kind are you using now?

I think maybe you have to spend big bucks for a good one, I'm too cheap!
That old saying "you get what you pay for" is certainly true with air tools. I'm a cheapskate and have wasted money on the cheap stuff too.

There is a shipper I used to have years ago, his name was Howard Hurd and he modified Ingersoll Rand impact drivers for NASCAR. His son Jim inherited the business, these things are top of the line. A thousand bucks and they used to run at 200 PSI with air, although I think they run nitrogen at a lower pressure now

http://www.constructionequipmentgui...Racing-Car-Pit-Crew--15-Seconds-of-Fame/3483/

The two impact drivers and the one I got at Lowes were cheapies at about 30-40 bucks apiece a few years ago. They were Campbell Hausfelds. Nothing but garbage. I am currently using an Ampro model I got at Advanced Auto Parts, it was fairly cheap at $50 but has held up for rotating tires and the brake jobs I do at home. I'm pretty sure an Ingersoll Rand is the best made, but a good impact driver of any make is going to cost over a hundred bucks. I have a 4 HP/25 gallon tank Sears Craftsmen compressor I use. Its about 20 years old and I hope to replace it soon with an upright model that takes up less space.

Chicago Pneumatic was a very good brand years ago, had an old one my Dad used. Put an overhaul kit in it and it lasted me about 15 years. I think my brother uses it now on his job. Like the Ingersol Rand, they aren't cheap. I don't use one that much anymore, but I have CH that works pretty well for the occasional.
Really check out a compressor before you buy it, even a new sears unit. Mine is way too loud.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Chicago Pneumatic was a very good brand years ago, had an old one my Dad used. Put an overhaul kit in it and it lasted me about 15 years. I think my brother uses it now on his job. Like the Ingersol Rand, they aren't cheap. I don't use one that much anymore, but I have CH that works pretty well for the occasional.
Really check out a compressor before you buy it, even a new sears unit. Mine is way too loud.

What? I can't hear you?

That is my reply to my wife when mine is running.
God forbid I leave it on and it turns on in the middle of the night.
I'm not happy then cause you-know-who is not happy.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

I bought a Sears 26 gallon vertical compressor a few years ago.

1. Assembled it. It wouldn't run. Took it back. Got another one.
  2. Assembled it. Ran, but wouldn't kick back on when pressure dropped. Took it back. Got another one.
  3. Store assembled it. Bad drain valve (cheap design). Went to store for replacement valve. None in stock. Took it back. Got another one.
  4. Store assembled it. Made sure it was right before leaving store. Accepted $100 refund from store manager.
Bought a replacement valve, half a dozen C clips and O rings so I can switch it out fast (twice in 3 years).

over9five

Staff member
Here's mine! (Excuse the dust)

Canoe001.jpg

Bought it at Wal-Mart in 97 or 98 I think. 20 gallon, 5 hp. Made in the USA.
I've had to replace only one part on it, the petcalk valve to drain the tank. Cost less than a buck.

Way to go hijacking the thread!!!!

slantnosechevy

Canoe001.jpg

I've had to replace only one part on it, the petcalk valve to drain the tank. Cost less than a buck.

Love the old Craftsman box on the floor. Still have mine from the '60s. IR and CP are top shelf.

P

pickup

Canoe001.jpg

in that red cabinet , are those chilton manuals? If so, that's a lot, you must know how to work on cars.

it's a peacock valve, right? not a petcalk. Wanna beat upstate to the punch

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

in that red cabinet , are those chilton manuals? If so, that's a lot, you must know how to work on cars.

it's a peacock valve, right? not a petcalk. Wanna beat upstate to the punch

Peacock, petcalk--wouldn't know either one if you set them both in front of me. I am NOT a car guy.