It Just Never Stops

vantexan

Called my new mgr to see about getting a couple of personal days when I get there to get a driver's license, etc. First time talking to him and he sounded upbeat and pleasant. Since I've been told many things over the years by mgrs when transferring I thought I'd ask him about specific rt area to see if it was different from what I had been told by original hiring mgr(who was on his way out but didn't tell me). Told I will be a 4X10 cover driver, not the 5X8 extended rt the first guy said. I told him that's very surprising, was never told this. He suddenly got a real edge to his tone. Told him I've done it before, will deal with it. But it would've been nice to have been told. There were 2 FT's posted, running 5X8 rts in next state over. Offer letter said my shift is M-FR, but may change due to station needs. Which I guess is their out. Another odd thing is offer letter said couldn't bid on anything internal for 18 months instead of the usual 6. Appears they had me in mind to run 4X10 cover all along and is their intention to keep me in it as long as possible. I put in for this to be much closer to family. I also found an apt near the station so guess I'll just deal with it. But I've always seen 4X10 covers specified in posting notes to give people a choice whether to bid or not. More deception, more reason not to believe anything anymore.

vantexan

It would've been shocking if you had NOT gotten the "bait and switch" treatment...

I've transferred more than most. Been plenty of deception and outright lies but a little more than half the time job was as advertised when I got there. This was a new one as having to do 4 rts instead of one is supposed to require informing applicants before applying. My current location wanted 2 mid-day rts working reload but he lied to us about hrs to get us here. So apparently it's now officially ok to be deceptive(putting it kindly) to get someone to transfer in because they don't want to fool with the hiring and training process. Relax, it's FedEx!!

vantexan

They can do whatever they want with your shift. Signing a letter means nothing.

Begging your pardon, but when a mgr wants to hire someone in he has to submit a packet to Cost Analysis explaining the need. Cost Analysis makes the determination if there's justification for hiring to fill a need. If so the mgr goes forward with the job posting in JCATS2. If there's details employees need to know before bidding, such as domiciled location, mid-day rt, 4X10 cover driver, etc he's supposed to say so in the posting notes. What he's not supposed to do is leave such info out and tell employee something totally different to lure him in. Saying they can do whatever they want shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how things work. Right now I have the choice of withdrawing before my start date and being stuck here for another year, or taking job and living with it(which I'll do since I would like to be near family), or GFTing it because it's unfair to make me wait another year to apply for other positions when I was lured in under false pretenses. Believe me if I wasn't going to be much closer to family I'd GFT it.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Of course many of the mgrs who posted an "as advertised" job still lied to or cheated me later.

Yes sir, that is pretty common. My personal favorite is posting a position, then finding out that they have awarded it to a courier already at the station, but not removing the posting (if they can do that...). I've been in this spot a few times, at the same station, with the same management, for the same posting. I really want out of my station, but I am limited to where I will move because of family issues. (I know, that's my choice)

SmithBarney

Goldilocks just doesn't get it..must be the kool aid...

Say I hire you as a mechanic to fix 747's, and when you show up
I only have one paper airplane for you to fix. we shouldn't be able
to complain because "be happy you have a job"

Misrepresentation is common in the transfer game.

Speaking of JCATS and future changes.. any notice during the last two months
or so many many FT Material Handler positions all over the country? First what is
a material handler(different than a package handler I assume) and why do we need so many?
is this part of the Fall surprise?

vantexan

or so many many FT Material Handler positions all over the country? First what is
a material handler(different than a package handler I assume) and why do we need so many?

I've been wondering about that too. There's also been quite a few domiciled FT couriers posted out west. Some places I've never seen before. I know they want to control OT but what will happen to those people if they can't even get 35?

SmithBarney

we have several 4x10 drivers that have been making guarentee pay for the past 3-4months.
Van you know my STA, you know come winter we'll all have plenty of OT(if I'm still here, and whatever happens in the Fall)

vantexan

we have several 4x10 drivers that have been making guarentee pay for the past 3-4months.
Van you know my STA, you know come winter we'll all have plenty of OT(if I'm still here, and whatever happens in the Fall)

Forgot about that...as my mother used to call it: "The Season".

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Material Handlers (forklift drivers) work at the ramp. Maybe it's because of all the freight that will have to be transloaded over to Ground.

Goldilocks

Begging your pardon, but when a mgr wants to hire someone in he has to submit a packet to Cost Analysis explaining the need. Cost Analysis makes the determination if there's justification for hiring to fill a need. If so the mgr goes forward with the job posting in JCATS2. If there's details employees need to know before bidding, such as domiciled location, mid-day rt, 4X10 cover driver, etc he's supposed to say so in the posting notes. What he's not supposed to do is leave such info out and tell employee something totally different to lure him in. Saying they can do whatever they want shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how things work. Right now I have the choice of withdrawing before my start date and being stuck here for another year, or taking job and living with it(which I'll do since I would like to be near family), or GFTing it because it's unfair to make me wait another year to apply for other positions when I was lured in under false pretenses. Believe me if I wasn't going to be much closer to family I'd GFT it.

Agree, but once in position they can change anything about your route, including making it 4x10, Tuesday-Saturday, Monday-Friday or Split Shift. Its called Operational Needs. I hate it as much as you do....I was made to go Tuesday-Saturday, even though I was Monday-Friday. Operational Needs can overpower any letter. Sad but true....

Goldilocks

I've been wondering about that too. There's also been quite a few domiciled FT couriers posted out west. Some places I've never seen before. I know they want to control OT but what will happen to those people if they can't even get 35?

Do you see the writing on the wall? No more guarantee pay, I bet this will be next...

Goldilocks

I "GET IT" more than what you think, Just because I'm happy to have a job, doesn't mean I like whats going on, or whats about to go down...

Rhoderunner

Agree, but once in position they can change anything about your route, including making it 4x10, Tuesday-Saturday, Monday-Friday or Split Shift. Its called Operational Needs. I hate it as much as you do....I was made to go Tuesday-Saturday, even though I was Monday-Friday. Operational Needs can overpower any letter. Sad but true....
OK correct me if I'm wrong but any change to your schedule can be refused and you can declare yourself displaced ??? If you are working 5x8 and they change you to 4x10 and you don't like it you have the right to refuse. If you become 'displaced' for this change what I've seen being done is one of 2 things. Wait for a 5x8 to open while being floater during your shift (usually end up covering the route you're trying to leave) or bumping lowest employee on a 5x8.

vantexan

But what you aren't seeing is that there wasn't a change due to operational needs. The 4X10 cover is what they got permission to post for. Knowing few if any would apply if they put it in the posting notes they used deception instead. Is that the kind of company you want to work for? But then they are about to ream 10's of thousands so what does it matter? What do we matter? We're just here to be exploited and if we don't like it then why don't we just leave?