IT Layoffs

air_upser

When I started working for UPS IT in 1996, I truly thought I would retire from UPS. I was commited to them, and they to me. I noticed changes after we went public, and it seems to have just snowballed. Even as a supervisor, I was given broad responsibilities to run my area. Today, I can't leave the building or respond to questions from other groups without getting manager approval....who in term needs to get his manager's approval....and up the chain. It's absolutely rediculous. They clearly want "yes" men and women. If you have a brain, question a decision, or even suggest alternatives, you will be pushed out. I have no respect at all for Barney Rubble or his cronnies who pee their pants just with his presense. We won't know for years what the ultimate impact will be UPS and it's legacy. My guess is.....we will be a future case study of Harvard Business School (not a good one!)

I agree that this could have been handled differently - but better? Really no way to do this type of thing correctly or to satisfy all involved. There are legal, privacy, and safety implications about how you go about it.

In the end, we have to consider that the "old UPS" of lifetime employment is - just like every other company - a thing of the past. If that doesn't suit you or you don't like it - then you have an opportunity to leave and find something else. Right now the companies have the upper hand with the economy the way it is. In the mid-late 90's we couldn't hire enough folks in IT because we paid lower than others - then the employee had the upper hand.

gimmeabreak: We really don't know that ALL these folks are being told they are being let go because they are "LEs" in combination with the "re-orgs" in certain portfolios. People also may SAY they were never told they were an LE, but in reality they were and they just don't want to tell everyone they aren't doing a good job (who would want to?). Now, having said that, I am sure there are cases (like in any company) where a message to an employee about his/her performance is not delivered properly and then it comes as a surprise that they are being demoted or fired. But, I have has people work for me who are LEs and I told them they were LEs and they signed their QPRs indicating they were LEs and and sat through meetings with HR about their performance and they were still were surprised when it got to a demotion / PIP scenario.

I don't like this anymore than the next guy/gal. And for all I know I could be in 2A-21 on Monday morning being walked out the door. But we can't expect the situation at UPS to be different from all other IT organizations when people are let go.

captjack

There are some really great people here. All bringing up some great points. I know they could of handled this better. But the problem is they let there partners down and did not handle better. Honestly to say some of the folks they have let go are a security risk is ridiculous. Just be honest, tell the truth. Follow THE DAMN POLICY BOOK. But no raise, reorging depts and not to mention the APPIAN police at IS. Our culture has died, the days of frank ******* at IS or oz are gone. UPS being a people first centric company is dead. Again pray for all entering 2a-21.

nervIS

it may be but as far as I know consultants/supplemental staff make far more than I do or even more than my manager does.

from what i have been able to observe, UPS is buying IBM contractors at Golden Anniversary prices and expecting Dom Perignon performance.

you can't re-hire an entire staff and expect the quality you're getting today - even if some contractors do rake in the ca$h and take too many smoke/coffee breaks. the Jan 2010 and July 2010 ER's will be in bad shape.

I also heard these are supposedly the people who were rated as LE and it is not because of Global Development. True we have some dead wood and if these people are actually rated LE they should have been dealt with before now.
The rating of a person as LE is a big mystery to me. There is no place where my job is documented so that I could possibly know what is “expected”. The rank and rate is done outside of the QPR process. (QPR being another joke). From what I have seen they use “Least Best” as being LE and you get labeled LE when matched against your peers in your department.
I heard Shared Services is next week and if you listen to their people they have to have the bottom 10% in every department identified as LE.

Just reading all the responses here leaves me with 2 thoughts...

1. I feel bad for my former colleagues and disillusioned UPSers that have been there for a long time, that might see their career there come to an end
2. It reinforces why I left 2 1/2 years ago

As you're shown the door, remind yourself that this might be the best thing that could happen to you.

It's my hope that the good people there are able to move on and prosper outside of UPS

and of course...the bad people...I hope sincerely that you get everything you have coming to you...

But I'm realistic, I know that usually the suckups, the do nothings, the wastes of space and the one's that put the brown into brown nosing...unfortunately end up safe....cause they know how to weasel out of things...

Best wishes and good luck...I'll be keeping an eye on this developing story...

As we know the Rate & Rank is not based on QPR or much else other than someones whim. I believe is was brought on my Jim M as a process to fake a paper trail and keep a flow of "bottom 10%ers" out the door. As so called LEs leave, others take their place and all done by design. If this plan fails and UPS has to hire people, those people will probably be paid less and have fewer benefits...like a retirement. Maybe that's the plan.

I also heard these are supposedly the people who were rated as LE and it is not because of Global Development. True we have some dead wood and if these people are actually rated LE they should have been dealt with before now.
The rating of a person as LE is a big mystery to me. There is no place where my job is documented so that I could possibly know what is “expected”. The rank and rate is done outside of the QPR process. (QPR being another joke). From what I have seen they use “Least Best” as being LE and you get labeled LE when matched against your peers in your department.
I heard Shared Services is next week and if you listen to their people they have to have the bottom 10% in every department identified as LE.

You're more than likely rated LE if you don't play with management the way they want you to. If you're an individual, want to spend time outside of work with your family, if you don't want to put in the minimum hours per week that they deem acceptable, and if you complain, question what is happening, or just don't necessarily want to tow the company line.

games4granny

Brownhornet07 you described exactly the way I am and that is why I don't think I'll make the week out. Your other comment on the suck ups will be the ones kept around until they are no longer needed. When I first came to UPS, I really thought it would be the last company I work for in my carreer but I guess I'm wrong. Thanks again for the encouraging words you posted.

NWUPSer

Upser's in the Pacific NW are nervous as well. I have friends that have gone into work this weekend to grab personal items because we don't know what is going to happen next week.

We have impending deadlines on large projects and Management does not expect any impact due to the panic that has set in around the office.

I have worked with this group for years and we are all shaking in our boots.

We don't know when things will start to happen here with GSD...but the feeling is that it's eminent.

Going to the office tomorrow will be like walking on pins and needles just waiting for the ball to drop...

and air_upser is also right in saying that nothing gets done any longer unless u run it up the chain, and your manager runs it up the chain, and his manager runs it up the chain, etc., etc., etc. No one wants to make a decision.

I dont think its so much as they are afraid to make a decision. Our management used to make these decisions themselves (and werent too bad at it either) until they were all of a sudden one day having to ask multiple levels above them for simple things. I doubt all of a sudden one day they decided to do this as none of them seem to like it.

If one gives much thought to this, it certainly SEEMS to me like they are setting up the organization to remove ALOT of middle management in IS. If none of them are allowed to make decisions and instead just shuffle decisions up the chain, it effectively makes them high paid secretaries. If I were in middle management I would be just as concerned as the low level IS'ers. Maybe not in this first round of executions, but I do believe its coming.

Does anyone in IS not think UPS is middle management heavy?

UPS_IS

Its very sad to see this happening.. Each day you know coming in the office another person is probably going to be walked out. But I do have one question for everyone in IS..... Have you looked at the org chart for IS recently?? I don't want to sound shallow here, but we're frankly way overstaffed in some groups and way under in others. ..and to those who enjoy an hour breakfast in the cafe, then another 1 or 1 1/2 hour lunch, followed by another hour coffee break in the afternoon.... ....for 10 years and more now.. People have seen that and so don't feel jacked when you're walked out. Your years of sucking off the system are over. If we (IS'ers) did a better job of self-cleaning, this bs would not have been dropped on us. Think about it a bit... Think about yourselves and daily routine in the office. Don't look at the man and judge.. Judge yourself first and if you feel you did everything you can to make your group attain their goals, then feel pissed the company let you down if walked out. But all of you don't sit there and comment poor us, poor little us... when for many years you allowed the very person sitting next to you to ride the system...

Its very sad to see this happening.. Each day you know coming in the office another person is probably going to be walked out. But I do have one question for everyone in IS..... Have you looked at the org chart for IS recently?? I don't want to sound shallow here, but we're frankly way overstaffed in some groups and way under in others. ..and to those who enjoy an hour breakfast in the cafe, then another 1 or 1 1/2 hour lunch, followed by another hour coffee break in the afternoon.... ....for 10 years and more now.. People have seen that and so don't feel jacked when you're walked out. Your years of sucking off the system are over. If we (IS'ers) did a better job of self-cleaning, this bs would not have been dropped on us. Think about it a bit... Think about yourselves and daily routine in the office. Don't look at the man and judge.. Judge yourself first and if you feel you did everything you can to make your group attain their goals, then feel pissed the company let you down if walked out. But all of you don't sit there and comment poor us, poor little us... when for many years you allowed the very person sitting next to you to ride the system...

Sounds like a morale problem. And when do you supposed that started? Not in the days of Doug Fields during the great expansion of IS. I think it started with Jim M and the IBM type management style of constantly pushing people out and getting younger and less expensive people in. How well can you perform if you're running scared.

nervIS

great question...I've heard rumors that they were allowed to keep their RSUs but have not heard anything definite. If they were of retirement age and were ALLOWED TO RETIRE instead of getting laid off, they would keep them.

Does anyone have any documentation handy about the RSUs and how you might lose them if you leave UPS?

From UPSers.com:

What if I leave the company before the restricted stock units are vested?
The plan is designed to reward long-term commitment to UPS. You forfeit the RSUs if you leave the company for any reason other than death, disability, or retirement from UPS as defined by the Salary Committee.

Dfigtree

Sounds like a morale problem. And when do you supposed that started? Not in the days of Doug Fields during the great expansion of IS. I think it started with Jim M and the IBM type management style of constantly pushing people out and getting younger and less expensive people in. How well can you perform if you're running scared.

(First ... The Suddenly Seymour kid has no management style. He has no concept of management and he has no concept of style. He remains a protégé of the irish marine school of management, "stab 'em in the back/kick 'em when they're down.")

The Suddenly Seymour kid? Creating a morale problem in IS? Shocking!

Of course that is true. The question you might be asking yourself is how anyone that seriously mentally ill got to be anything at all in IS management.

I worked for Doug and he was in your face about things but he was straight about what he expected versus what you delivered (using ManagerPro). I worked for Suddenly Seymour, too. And, I saw him lose it with eyes bulging out, spittle flying from his mouth and forming sentence that were incoherent. Did the retired marine promote him or the did the retired captain promote his little buddy? In any event they're gone and little buddy is there left to reek havoc on the good people of IS.