IT Layoffs

ISWarrior

Does anybody know if those that were let go, got to keep their RSUs?

I know for sure (talked to two of my co-workers who were let go) that they did indeed keep their RSUs.

These people were friends, but I know in my heart that their performance in the department was sub-par.

The worst thing is the idea that this is a "shock to UPS culture". Well wake up, you do not need to be a superstar for pennies, but you need to at least not be in cruise control mode. Keep the skills up and keep the drive you probably already have and you should be fine.

zzeee

Anyone knows how many people in total a going to be lay off? (this time)
Because I thing more to come in November, January.:dissapointed:

tomarnez

Haven't heard anything. JK is on vacation this week so the heartburn will continue for some....

what does that mean? Without JK they are going to hold off on layoffs, I thought they already have a list ready. Once thing i can say that pressure was on within Shared Services today. Will know more in couple of days. Did anybody see any pattern in terms of number of years of service or age or is it hard to tell?

games4granny

Heard the number is over 50. Not sure if that number is per day or for the week. I survived today. Tomorrow is unknown. Another day waiting for the Grim Reaper to come and tell me my time has come. Seemly quiet day today in IS. The feeling is no one knows who's next to be shown the front door. Heard today that you are asked to go to room 2a-011 before you go to 2a-021. Either way, I feel both rooms mean it's the end of your time being Brown.

Scuba_Steve

I came across this site , http://blogs.eweek.com/careers/content001/firing/our_lips_are_sealed_more_ibm_layoffs.html , where someone is saying that IBM is moving the IT jobs to india, and how they are training now in NJ.

That article says QUOTE:
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As unemployment increases, IBM continues to abandon the US workforce in favor of offshore workers.
Not only is IBM shifting work from US locations to low wage countries it is also importing foreign workers to replace US workers.

IBM employees and workers at companies IBM has outsourcing agreements with are losing their jobs to low wage imported workers.

Three recent examples should raise the concern of all US workers:

* Advanced Auto Parts call center in Roanoke, Virginia. Outsourced to IBM. US workers terminated and call center offshored to India.
* New York City Department of Finance consulting contract on Servers. Outsourced to IBM. IBM brings in IBM India employees.
* UPS IT department. Outsourced to IBM. IBM India workers training onsite in NJ. Work to be moved to India.
[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
Holy crap...that implies someone knows the entire deal is for ALL OF UPS IT to be outsourced to IBM.

G

gimmeabreak

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]UPS IT department. Outsourced to IBM. IBM India workers training onsite in NJ. Work to be moved to India.[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

bigguy57

Well my meeting was at 8:00 on Monday. I had until that moment not believed that I would be part of the purge. I know that sounds naive, but I had some good reasons to think so. Although my direct had rated me as an LE (which I refused to sign), I was assured by my department manager that I was meeting expectations as recently as a month ago. I was (that's a little weird to say) a PL since 2000 and had 5 reports 3 of which where also reduced out of a job. Last year UPS send me to be certified in my field and as such was the only person in IT Mahwah so credentialed. All of this and the vague and not so vague assurances of management ended by 8:20 with no explanation other than an apology about my position "being affected" by the workforce reduction. Oh by the way, as far as class goes, I was on a family vacation last week when my staff was AXED and I had to deal with all the emotional BS from Wednesday on. Thanks for your honesty and forthright treatment of me and the folks that worked for me. Between us we represented over 60 years of service. Very Classy...Well Done! :knockedout::angry::whiteflag:

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
The rumor mill is saying Shared Services layoffs have been pushed out to next week.

We have never had a successful project from an outsourcer. Accenture and IBM have been here before...never worked. Ask the poor guys who dealt with the disasters visited by Accenture upon the original Hub2000 projects; UPSers had to clean up the mess. Ask the guys dealing with Boeing and WiPro for Crew...dealing across 12 time zones on a complex business project is a nightmare. Heck, half the time we can't communicate between two floors in the same building...

This will work out the same way. CIO and CEO don't get it. COKE moved apps from ATLANTA and INDIA to LOUISVILLE after the whole outsourcing thing proved to be an illusion. Fortunately, Coke is in one of the buildings across from the AGB, so it will be a short walk to drop off resume's

American business has been blinded by the bean counters. Logic and good sense have flown out the window. Wall Street rules, and they aren't interested in anything past the next quarter's earnings call.

We should have gone private when the stock hit $38.

whatthewt

Starts in Linn Station in Louisville tomorrow... Centennial conference room booked for the rest of the week... Lots of strange people in the building today... Most people seem oblivious...

Scuba_Steve

Starts in Linn Station in Louisville tomorrow... Centennial conference room booked for the rest of the week... Lots of strange people in the building today... Most people seem oblivious...

Interesting...anyone check the conference rooms in the AGB? WFF? Hub? Dixie? NTP?

whatthewt

WFF seems safe for the short term... No outsourced projects... No conference rooms blocked... Didn't have the patience to go through all the AGB conference rooms... Or any of the other buildings... Especially after going through the Linn Station building Monday and nothing was blocked out... Now it is...

anjinsans

First off.. I hope all the best for bigguy57 and his cohorts... they are good people, good citizens and will be missed... and will the others from CRA SPS etc.. I am sure there are others I know... just don't have the names...
as to the rumor about SS being delayed... not sure since I heard some TSG folks in M'town were dismissed today... no confirmation....
SS Senior Management style => Theory X as practice in Iraq 15 years ago..
but lately the drugs seem to be working... much subdued ...but then again that could be because of all the complaints and a few possible law suits ....heard rumours of some....
some of these LE's were clearly manufactured ... mostly by age [close to retirement]... UPS has a program is seems.... and they take their time about it... several years... so that people are made into LE's and even think they are when.. if they were left in their original post, where they excelled... they would retire happy, when they wanted to; accomplishing a lot for UPS as they progressed and with their self esteem in tack... But, If UPS let them retire when they wanted to... it would cost them a few million dollars more in retirement benefits... so... in order to keep senior managers extra bonuses as high as possible...
This to shall pass and I hope to be around to re-invigorate UPS back to Greatness for all....

Last edited by a moderator:

RetiredandLovingIT

:anxious: What are the options for those near retirement or who have reached the "Magic" 55 or older? Can they be summarily dismissed and not given the chance to retire instead? That could be a very valid concern for those affected in this manner...