IT Layoffs

whatthewt

:anxious: What are the options for those near retirement or who have reached the "Magic" 55 or older? Can they be summarily dismissed and not given the chance to retire instead? That could be a very valid concern for those affected in this manner...

I think they are the only ones with any legal rights... My understanding is that corporations cannot legally take away any retirement benefits you have actually earned... That includes those of us who are vested but cannot yet retire... We'll still get whatever we have earned... It just won't be enough to actually retire on...

whatthewt

"It is registered in Hamilton, Bermuda but it was announced on the May 26, 2009 that the Board of Accenture approved moving their incorporation to Ireland. "
Just made me throw up a little bit...

Last edited:

tankerT1

That would be ****... CIO of UPS, in case y'all didn't know. And by the way, why will they not refer to these as 'layoffs' when we all know that's what they are. They only say "your job has been dissolved"... I would call THAT being impacted by globalization, huh?

Last edited by a moderator:

whatthewt

Please, everyone, call a spade a spade and say "outsourcing" instead of "Global Development"... No more Orwellian doublespeak, please...

Last edited:

RetiredandLovingIT

Personally, I call it a sadness that is going to impact the lives of hundreds of very loyal UPS workers and their families. These dedicated individuals have taken ownership and performed their duties with pride. Where is the ownership stratum for the "New" employees? Hmm...

RetiredandLovingIT

if you are unfortunate and end up in 2a-021 don't agree to anything----don't sign anything----especially if you are near retirement age.....UPS is heading towards a class-action, age discrimination lawsuit if they continue on this way. anyone know a good labor law attorney?

Excellent! But please, don't share the ammunition...

minibrings

I know someone who was close to retirement and they offered her early retirement. Another person the badge did not work in Mahwah.. .and he was then told the deal. One guy was seen in the morning, in the afternoon PC was gone and his name was gone from Outlook.

Moral bad all around. Reason for armed guards was an incident in Paramus where a guard was hit (this not confirmed)

Yes I was told 1 week for every year.

Next info. is unconfirmed: 10% staff reduction is the goal in all campuses - NJ, MD, KY. Remember this is unconfirmed but passing on what my sources told me. End of this year should be interesting as that is when IBM/Accenture take over several apps.

Shouldn't one deal with former "partners" in a more humane manner? I am so disappointed in the way they are handling things. ********in one of his meeting with the troops a month or so ago said nothing about layoffs.. or skirted that question. I will never trust this company again.

Oh and big surprise: no ERI needed this year!

Last edited by a moderator:

BarnabyJones

I have heard of more than 10 people layed off here in Louisville today, some with as many as 22 years with the company. Why is there no formal announcement of any this? Even an internal announcement would do a lot to quell the rumor mill and ease tensions. Morale definitely feels low and tensions are high around here (except for the "I bet your next" jokes). The names that I have heard so far seemed to have also vanished from the Global Address Book, so I keep checking for mine. Are these people all LE's? What's the criteria?

Are they really that quick to purge user ID's, credentials, email accounts??

When I left UPS 3 years ago, IS had just began some type of nationwide "recruitment" initiative for all the district TSG people. Looking for talent on the inside I suppose, which I thought was odd happening right in the middle of TSG layoffs. I am just wondering what the purpose of that was if they are laying off IS people now (only a couple years later)?

If it's any consolation for you affected IS'ers, I work for a great software company in sunny Florida, and we are hiring developers.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Are they really that quick to purge user ID's, credentials, email accounts??

Yeah, they are, primarily due to security & legal concerns.

On the other hand, since this has been rumored for months, anyone who didn't have a copy of stuff they really wanted off their hard drive had to be pretty dumb.

On the gripping hand, I had some folks I had to let go in the past that WERE that dumb, and left lots of footprints of naughty behavior on their computers to boot. Really helps at the exit interview.

These folks, in general, are supposed to be the "Less than expected", i.e. poor performers. But the REAL reason they are being let go is because the CEO and the CIO swallowed the IBM and Accenture kool-aid, and think that having hubs make their HFCS calls to Mumbai makes ever so much sense....

BrownBlood SDF

I am not sure what to think about all of this I understand the need to let the "LE" people go but at the same time there was alot of worried people as there should be. I am not sure what the criteria is and I am sure its never easy for upper management to let people go as I still want to believe that this is and always will be a UPS family. I wish the best of luck to the ones that were let go today it saddens me but it is a company lifestyle and sometimes not a nice one.

tankerT1

I too wish the best to all those affected. However, don't ever think you are safe. I have heard from two affected people they were NEVER aware they were LE's. Sneaky... sneaky.