It sucks to be me...

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by soberups, Jul 16, 2010.

1. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

The next four weeks are, historically, the hottest weeks of the year.:anxious:

The next four weeks are also, however, the ones that I picked for my vacation.:cool-very:

I'm going to feel pretty guilty a week or two from now when its 100 outside and the heat waves are broiling off of the pavement, and I look out the window of my air-conditioned house and see some poor schmuck sweating his ass off in a package car.

Well, maybe I will only feel a little guilty. And once that guilty feeling fades away, I will just turn the AC down another couple of degrees and curl up under my blanket and take a nap.

2. klein

klein Für Meno :)

Sorry, but using up 4 weeks, just sitting at home in the a/c does not appeal to me.

3. upsgrunt

upsgrunt Well-Known Member

Apparently not working for 52 weeks doesn't either.

4. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

Ouch!!!

5. klein

Actually, I want to make that probably 70 or maybe 90 weeks or more.
    Wanna go to the German Octoberfest in September.

I got enough money to last me for a while.
    OH, And not government.... !!!

If you can save over $1000 per month, (sacrificing things neighbors have and you don't), it's neat that you can take a break when needed.

6. Richard Harrow

Richard Harrow Deplorable.

... ZING!!

7. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I would prefer to work during the heat wave and take my vacation so that I can enjoy it.

8. klein

If I ever had a driver job again, I would take my vacation mid in winter. Trust me , it's too brutal to work here... and just fly to Mexico for the time being or Florida.

9. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Double ouch!!!!

10. klein

Forget the double ouch ! I was twice in Florida, twice in Mexico, now Cuba. I love my life.
    I hope you love it as much as I love it and enjoy it !

Spent less time then at home !
    I'm really loving it !

11. bigbrownhen

bigbrownhen New Member

I always take a week in August, just to get a break. It is usually the hottest week of the year and the one that most schools get their books delivered for the new year. Its a great week to take off. I learned that trick from an older driver I used to cover for. Delivering 40 boxes of books to several schools is not much fun in 100 degree heat.

12. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I used to have a country run that had two summer camps and I used to take the week off when they moved in and the week off when they moved out.

13. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

Bastard.

14. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Don't feel guilty Sober, enjoy it!

Someday the "poor schmuck" will have enough juice to get a summer week too!

15. klein

I remember those darn books to schools..... gee and half the time they sent them too early, schools are still closed ! Back and forth we go.. with all of them :(

16. jimstud

jimstud Banned

i couldn't take 4 in a row , i would never go back. so now i take my 5 weeks by working 1 week and then taking 1 week off that way i only work 3 weeks in the summer.

17. tracker2762

tracker2762 Active Member

Don't look out the window, out of sight out of mind

18. JustTired

JustTired free at last.......

Heck, if I took 2 weeks off in a row...I could hardly go back.

Ahhhh retirement. Never thought I'd make it. It's been a nice couple of years.

And yes, I still feel bad when I see one of my old workmates out on the road(especially at 6:30-7:00p.m.). Hot or not!

19. NHDRVR

NHDRVR New Member

I am on week 3 of 4 in a row... It's awesome (2 more in the winter)

This fall though, for the 1st time in 8 years, BOTH of my daughters, 8 and 6, will be in school full time and a day off will actually be a day off. You parents know of what I speak. I am thinking of the Staples commercial with the Andy Williams song, "The Most Wonderful Time", where the dad is smiling putting school supplies in the carriage as his 2 kids drag their feet behind him. Very funny....

20. browndevil

browndevil Active Member

Welcome to the 21 century. One of the schools I deliver to will now have their students download the books to their personal laptops. I guess kind of like a Kindle and keep a few hardcopies in the classroom. No more lugging hantrucks of text books across the campus any more for me