It would be nice if they up graded there tractors

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You don't know that for sure. You don't know how many serious accidents he has avoided over the years because he knew that defensive driving information and practiced it.

Tieguy, next time you are at a UPS facility, go find an old P5, P8 or P10 with the small cab and no lap belt. Have a seat and lean forward. Your forehead will come to rest on the windshield, and your jaw will touch the steering wheel. Designing a vehicle with a cab this small and then intentionally deleting the ONLY thing that will save the driver from certain death or grotesque injury in the event of a collision is, in my opinion, borderline criminal. PLEASE do not insult my intelligence by claiming that UPS cares for my safety when UPS refuses to correct this problem. Absolute bare minimum compliance with OSHA mandates to avoid being fined is the only thing UPS gives a damn about.

All the safe driving habits in the world cannot prevent a driver from getting hit head on by an oncoming vehicle in his own lane. When that happens, it wont be assesments or muffins or a 10 pt commentary that lets him go home to his family. The deciding factor in whether he lives or dies will be whether or not he has a 3 point seat belt.

Kevin211

Wow I didn't mean to get everyone in a up roar over this, I just think that the company could spend a few more dollars and get a few more safety items, Air bags, full drivers seat, (whip lash prevention) and as far as the Air bag suspension goes it would make the drive at night a whole lot nicer on the back...(I don't think we even come close in weight to blow out an air bag)

rushfan

Back to the real discussion at hand....tractors.....

I am new to feeders (1.5 years). I wish I could have driven the MH or Diamond (death traps as one of the veterans said) just for the experience. No power steering nor a.c. No smoke stacks, just pipes under the frame. When they would pre-trip, you could get carbon monoxide poisoning. We have Internationals, and Macks here. The mechanics absolutely hate the "corn binders" as the Cummins engine is not as reliable as the Mack. The engines are plagued with electronic problems, and at least a couple of times a week, the tractors are taken to the local Cummins dealer for warranty work. Not much leg room also. I prefer the Mack.

On the other hand, I too can sleep like a baby in the Mack. I bring along a foam pad to put on the metal "bench" I lay on my side, wedged between the IVIS and back wall of the cab. One driver even repositioned the IVIS at an angle in one of our tractors. He got in trouble doing so, however, with it at and angle, I can sleep on my back and dream.

That bag dump on the rears is good for heavy freight trailers,ups trailers are light as can be from what I used to pull.The dump would do great for when you want to get up under trailers so you don't jerk as much also you have to understand most union outfits order tractors with just the basics.Try one of those nonunion outfits and you might even get a large car.

brownrodster

I'd give anything to get into feeders and drive the nice trucks they have now. At my previous employer I spent plenty of time in a 1968 kenworth with two stick shift levers. You'd be going down the road and have one hand on each lever to shift into certain gears... Think they called it a 5 and 4 or something.

rushfan

I understand with the 2 on the floor, if you had to shift from the high range to low range, one would shift with both hands at once while putting your arm through the spokes of the steering wheel to steer the truck.

drewed

Shankman
I understand with the 2 on the floor, if you had to shift from the high range to low range, one would shift with both hands at once while putting your arm through the spokes of the steering wheel to steer the truck.

oh wow...and hope you dont hit a bump.....

raceanoncr

most union outfits order tractors with just the basics.Try one of those nonunion outfits and you might even get a large car.

Hmmm....The old Overnite, now UPS Freight, old non-union, now mostly union, gets and had, before this, air-bag susp, built-in radios, arm rests, etc on their "city cab" tractors.

We'll see what they get from now on.

raceanoncr

I'd give anything to get into feeders and drive the nice trucks they have now. At my previous employer I spent plenty of time in a 1968 kenworth with two stick shift levers. You'd be going down the road and have one hand on each lever to shift into certain gears... Think they called it a 5 and 4 or something.

Started in '62 B model Mack with 5x4. Thought I was in heaven! Early 20's jamming gears, lots o wheels! Man, life is good!

Got tired o that real quick. Gave me a brand new '72 (I think) IH with "floating" cab, not air ride but on spring with shock absorber and that G*****n 5x4 again!

Then pretty new R model Mack long hood with 5 main with overdrive. Better!

Then UPS with cab-over Diamonds, Emeryvilles but mostly Macks, 5-sps and wet clutch? Man, here we go again!

Today, power-steering, a/c, 10-sps WITH ONE STICK, radio hookups, tall stack, air cab...I ain't complainin!

raceanoncr

Tie, How about the Diamond T's.. friend Model Macks had the wet clutch. The 1st Macks had 200 horse power if that. It was a good thing we got paid by the hour cause in the Pocono's the 4 ways were always on. Before the wet clutch some Mack's had a duplex tranny or unishift(9 or 10 speeds). The GMC Astro's were ok when they were new but UPS kept them 10 years too long.

Feeders do not need an upgrade until all the non power steering package cars are replaced.

First Macks, at least most of the non-mountain Macks, were 237 horse. The Diamonds were mostly 290. Here, the neighboring state had Diamonds and we had Macks. You could never outrun them...NEVER!

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
First Macks, at least most of the non-mountain Macks, were 237 horse. The Diamonds were mostly 290. Here, the neighboring state had Diamonds and we had Macks. You could never outrun them...NEVER!

Somehow my building ended up with a newer Diamond Reo from Jersey. Most guys thought it was a 10 speed so it was usually on the lot when I started. It was a decent ride & powerful with a 5 speed. Back then I don't think New Jersey required a insurance card cause I spent a lot of time in a DOT check till another Feeder driver came in & I used his insurance card to get out. Dispatch was trying to get a local center near the rest area to bring one out but I was gone till they got there!

You don't know that for sure. You don't know how many serious accidents he has avoided over the years because he knew that defensive driving information and practiced it.

Sounds like because of the safety gear he`s still able to recite the commentary instead of blow his wheelchair around with a straw.

If possible join a sleeper team. I have been in sleepers for about 6 yrs. Freightliner with air bag suspension, captains chairs with arm rests...cloth seats...none of that terrible material in Ups tractors. These tractors are supplied by Penske. I have been back and forth every other year for 6 yrs (don't like working weekends all the time) and when I get back into ups brown tractors...I can't believe how horrible they ride........

raceanoncr

If possible join a sleeper team. I have been in sleepers for about 6 yrs. Freightliner with air bag suspension, captains chairs with arm rests...cloth seats...none of that terrible material in Ups tractors. These tractors are supplied by Penske. I have been back and forth every other year for 6 yrs (don't like working weekends all the time) and when I get back into ups brown tractors...I can't believe how horrible they ride........

Sleepers has got good points too...like the ride, but it ain't for everybody, I know, did THAT for 5 yrs too.

Yer right, gone all w/es on most runs. Gone most holidays. Back to driving after 10 hrs off (you better be able to sleep in the back). It's best left to single drivers (I was at the time).

Brown tractors? Yeah, they ride worse than the white ones, but you're home after every shift, unless you have a lay-down. But, as in previous posts on this subject, we've advanced light-yrs on tractor selection from when I and others started.

As was stated, the first Diamonds, Macks, Petes, etc. were HORRIBLE, to say the least! You sat right over the front wheel with no air ride cab, no power steering, no radio hook-ups and on and on.

I think the CH Mack is the best tractor UPS has every bought. The Sterling, well, it's better than I expected. The new IH, I think, are a step backward. Anyways, compared to what we had, I ain't complainin.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sounds like because of the safety gear he`s still able to recite the commentary instead of blow his wheelchair around with a straw.
What the frick did you say?:happy-very:

He is referring to the quadrapalegics who operate their electric wheelchairs by blowing into a tube or manipulating a joystick with their mouth....an outcome that is apparently more acceptable to UPS than spending $50 on a 3-point belt.