Its a miracle....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I course I would have a problem if I worked scratch on a route. I am not a bargaining unit employee, so I would get a HUGE grievance. No thanks.

You are allowed to train and demonstrate proper methods to your employee. Your employee is on car and being paid, therefore the grievance would not be valid.

satellitedriver

Glad you gained time.
The flaw is that an average day is compared to a specific day, in time study. Allowances at UPS can hold the driver liable for not meeting the average standards on a daily basis.
An average, is just an average.
The best analogy I can think of is the life expectancy of the average male.
The average is 77yrs, but the kicker is that the majority of men do not die at that age.
If UPS calls a driver to task for not meeting the average on a daily basis, then they are flawed in their logic.
Apply averages to averages.
Simply put,
Average the performance of the driver over the years of service to the average expected by UPS on a daily basis.(this will never happen)
The variables of a single day will always differ from the average day.
Sorry for my rant, but I live in the real world.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Glad you gained time.
The flaw is that an average day is compared to a specific day, in time study. Allowances at UPS can hold the driver liable for not meeting the average standards on a daily basis.
An average, is just an average.
The best analogy I can think of is the life expectancy of the average male.
The average is 77yrs, but the kicker is that the majority of men do not die at that age.
If UPS calls a driver to task for not meeting the average on a daily basis, then they are flawed in their logic.
Apply averages to averages.
Simply put,
Average the performance of the driver over the years of service to the average expected by UPS on a daily basis.(this will never happen)
The variables of a single day will always differ from the average day.
Sorry for my rant, but I live in the real world.

You sounds like an I.E. to me Sat. That is exactly what we would tell everybody when I was in I.E.
There is very little variance within an area as far as the stop characteristics. There is considerable variance due to traffic, weather conditions, customer interactions, etc.
To-from miles are at one allowance and on-area mileage with a different allowance.
Accuracy goals for Time Studies are + / - 5% or for a 9.5 planned day = 28 minutes + or - or within a range of 57 minutes on any given day .
And on average 1 day a month it is outside that 57 minute window.

But like I have said before, give someone a screwdriver and tell them to drive a nail with it and they will do the best they can.

But like I have said before, give someone a screwdriver and tell them to drive a nail with it and they will do the best they can.
The problem is that you give them a screwdiver, tell them this is for driving screws and they turn right around and try to drive a nail with it.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Wow....a gain in time. It's been a while since I've seen that. The funny thing is they did time studies over here a few years ago. One of our routes has Buck Knives as their pick up and they are heavier than hell. Usually, we just have them load a pallet in the back of the truck. The night before he told them not to load the pallet cause he was having a time study done. He had a normal heavy day and he hand loaded the pallet instead of having it put in the truck. He still lost time.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Wow....a gain in time. It's been a while since I've seen that. The funny thing is they did time studies over here a few years ago. One of our routes has Buck Knives as their pick up and they are heavier than hell. Usually, we just have them load a pallet in the back of the truck. The night before he told them not to load the pallet cause he was having a time study done. He had a normal heavy day and he hand loaded the pallet instead of having it put in the truck. He still lost time.

The previous time study was loose loaded as well I imagine.

some1else

Banned
You are allowed to train and demonstrate proper methods to your employee. Your employee is on car and being paid, therefore the grievance would not be valid.
i had a supervisor claim he could ride with a driver and "demonstrate methods" in reality the driver was way overdispatched and he worked as a helper all day so they could leave a route out. the driver made a bunch of bonus as a result so he didnt care; but the guy whos route got cut did!

satellitedriver

Or,
as an old mentor of mine tried to teach me in the way to get the job done faster.
He said,
"A screwdriver is really only a screw extractor.
use a hammer to drive the screw in."
The same logic seems to apply at UPS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Or,
as an old mentor of mine tried to teach me in the way to get the job done faster.
He said,
"A screwdriver is really only a screw extractor.
use a hammer to drive the screw in."
The same logic seems to apply at UPS.

That's the reason I did not use that analogy ... it sort of works.