It's OFFICIAL...He got his job back!!!

upsrwife

It's already started thismorning...he got pulled in to the center manager office with a union rep: "I thought you were going to be a cooperative employee" " you didn't sign this and you didn't sign that." The union guy stood up and said "he doesn't have to sign that". "He signed the safety form and that's all he needed to sign." Oh and "if you wear a knee brace, you have to wear pants."...meanwhile...15 other guys wear kneebraces showing everyday without a word said to them. Crap like this. and It will only get worse as the days go on. Oh well, hopefully he will knock it off soon.

raceanoncr

You'e right, it has started and will continue as long as this center manager and his cronies are in power. My advice...do as he says until he's gone...and with his attitude, it won't take long!

I have outlived any and all CMs and supes that were here when I started. Can't recall too many that actually retired, tho. Most quit, were fired, had health issues and were forced to retire, some died.

Tell him to hang in there.

Ms Spoken

Tell your hubby to show up to work 5 min before start time, clock in, sit in the break room and then go to work.

Do not hang around for UPS to question him all the time. You know what they say "out of sight out of mind". In time all of this will pass.

trickpony1

Tell your hubby to show up to work 5 min before start time, clock in, sit in the break room and then go to work.

Do not hang around for UPS to question him all the time. You know what they say "out of sight out of mind". In time all of this will pass.

Ms Spoken-
excellent advice!
Most management have real short attention spans and will move on to something/someone else if they don't get their "fix" from this driver.

I would also suggest this driver keep a logbook at home with dates, times, witnesses and what was said by whom. It may prove worthwhile further down the road.

UPS Lifer

It is a shame that the dialog started the way it did. It sounds like there is a little "positioning" going on right now. Mgmt. wants to see how "grateful" your husband is for getting his job back.

For the near term, if he is called into the office he should have a steward with him. Be honest and forthright. I would let mgmt know how he feels if something comes up that he does not feel is right.

Example.... If he is asked to wear long pants to cover a brace. He should inform his team that there are 15 others with braces showing. Do not attack the person but the unfair position and that he does not want to be singled out or treated differently from the other drivers. I think it is important that this type of dialog takes place to get relations back to normal. Stay away from words that might inflame the other side such as harassment or discrimination. These words tend to put barriers up instead of helping to create an open dialog.

The log book is a good idea. Just make sure it depicts accurate info - no embellishment. Keep feelings out of it except to record how he felt when the conversation was taking place.

If nothing seems to improve, I would file a grievance.

You stated your husband is going to have to rides so I am guessing that this could all be cleared up on those rides.

kenco80233

Myself and 4 other drivers were fired back in 1997 after the strike.Our firings turned into a 30 day suspension.While we were suspended the division manager that enginered our firings got demoted and transfered to another district.When we returned to work,the new management team welcomed with open arms.Funny how it all works out in the end.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
It was in the feeder dept. at the hub in Commerce City Colo.

Yeah, I worked at Commerce City. I heard several stories of operations supes being transferred in disgrace. One went to Wyoming, another to somewhere in the Dakotas. Both are in small, out of the way centers where they can cause the minimum of trouble. The one in Wyoming was transferred for burying supervisor working grievances. I didn't work at Commerce City at the time either of these happend, by the way. The Dakotas transfer was for some kind of issue with over-supervision and something else. The union went ape and UPS shuttled the supe out in a hurry. -Rocky

Griff

It's already started thismorning...he got pulled in to the center manager office with a union rep: "I thought you were going to be a cooperative employee" " you didn't sign this and you didn't sign that." The union guy stood up and said "he doesn't have to sign that". "He signed the safety form and that's all he needed to sign." Oh and "if you wear a knee brace, you have to wear pants."...meanwhile...15 other guys wear kneebraces showing everyday without a word said to them. Crap like this. and It will only get worse as the days go on. Oh well, hopefully he will knock it off soon.

Tell your husband to document any and all conversations with management. Make no mistake, he is being harassed by management. Keep very detailed accounts of dates, times and what was said. It sounds like overkill, but it's necessary to prove a pattern of harassment.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
this is all a game to some of these people!Some are just yes men and peons to the bigger wheels and get a kick out of watching you squirm!! like others have said here, I've seen em' come and go,tell hubby to suck it up and do his best .He will get by this monster,have faith,purgatory is full of these type of people who are not evil enough for HELL,but arn't qualified for Heavan such as yourself! Your husband is lucky to have you standing by him,UPS KILLS MANY OF MARRIAGE WHICH i'M SURE MOST ON B/C WILL AGREE ! Stay strong ,there are alot of good C/M s and sups here hubby just ran into some creep ! when they dont make numbers you oughta see them squirm !!!!! best to yah GO SOX !!!

UPS Lifer

this is all a game to some of these people!Some are just yes men and peons to the bigger wheels and get a kick out of watching you squirm!! like others have said here, I've seen em' come and go,tell hubby to suck it up and do his best .He will get by this monster,have faith,purgatory is full of these type of people who are not evil enough for HELL,but arn't qualified for Heavan such as yourself! Your husband is lucky to have you standing by him,UPS KILLS MANY OF MARRIAGE WHICH i'M SURE MOST ON B/C WILL AGREE ! Stay strong ,there are alot of good C/M s and sups here hubby just ran into some creep ! when they dont make numbers you oughta see them squirm !!!!! best to yah GO SOX !!!

Sorry - I don't agree with you on the marriage thing. If you have a strong marriage it will pass all tests. People who's marriages fail look to find blame somewhere. Look to yourself.

Marriage is your responsibility and your spouse's responsibility - PERIOD!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
you are right ,but the lifestyle at ups is demanding on the marriage lifer, and people do change over the course of a marriage.i know alot of guys who's wives got fed up and alot of guys who did stupid things out there and got caught!! i for one am greatful. i have a great wife who understands the job and never let temptation on the road lead me the wrong way,others wern't as smart!! 20 yrs married ,20 yrs ups !!!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
you are right ,but the lifestyle at ups is demanding on the marriage lifer, and people do change over the course of a marriage.i know alot of guys who's wives got fed up and alot of guys who did stupid things out there and got caught!! i for one am greatful. i have a great wife who understands the job and never let temptation on the road lead me the wrong way,others wern't as smart!! 20 yrs married ,20 yrs ups !!!!
Yes Ive seen a lot of wives get fed up, and drive off with the children and the new car and keep the new house coz their husband worked lots of hours to provide all the nice things they were able to have.
As far as the men doing stupid things, yeah maybe a few. But mostly I see spoiled women who nag and btch and carry on coz their husband is never home, and then go off to the nail salon, as shes been working hard all day, and hes been playing tiddlywinks.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I came home at 7 tonight and Mom is bowling with the ladies. Kid hits me up with "mom said you should take us out to eat". So I did. We're not the only people in america with late hours. (the hours aren't that many, we just start too late)

Braveheart

Good for him and you. I am not a computer guy either but this site is very helpful and easy to use.

Never trust mangement. Sounds like the guy that fired him is a real jerk.

I have known plenty of guys and girls who ran their ass off and when they had a screw up, the managers turned their backs on them. All that extra effort is just not recipricated. Work hard, work smart, work safe. No speeding, no running, no short cuts. They may make your managers numbers look pretty but he will not share that bonus with you!!!

Good luck!!!!

Braveheart

Upserwife-

Sometimes life gives the test first and the lesson later.
This has been a rather expensive lesson as they sometimes can be.
I hope your husband has learned NOT to do these people any favors.
Don't get on the truck early and massage the load.
Don't skip your lunch.
Don't go fast to turn good numbers for the boss.
Don't take shortcuts.
Watch those intersections. I would rather sit at the interesection for an extra 60 seconds to assure that everyone at the intersection knows what's going on then to try and hurry through and end up like your husband.
I am so glad for you and your husband.

Lesson learned.
Great advice fellow Teamster!!!!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I came home at 7 tonight and Mom is bowling with the ladies. Kid hits me up with "mom said you should take us out to eat". So I did. We're not the only people in america with late hours. (the hours aren't that many, we just start too late)
Exactly, we now start at 905.

Braveheart

Tell your husband to talk to a lawyer about that knee brace BS!!!! We got drivers wearing knee, ankle, elbow, and wrist braces too. They are not wearing long sleeve shirts and pants. It is clear discrimination. Tell him to call the union about the pants BS!!! Tell him to call the 1-800 # for UPS as well. How long has he been wearing the knee brace before buthead suddenly said NOW you have to wear pants. This manager needs a lighting bolt to hit him.