It's the Final Solution!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
During my nearly two decades of slinging cardboard in three different buildings (including RPS) I've noticed that hourly folks dont really have any cause for losing sleep unless they are a driver and get in a series accident and get fired. That's a whole other topic. Other than that we shouldn't have a thing (work related) to worry about as long as we do what we are supposed to be doing and are where we are supposed to be. If we screw up that's OK unless we make a chronic habit of it.

Management is a different story. The amount of stress and BS they have to put up with over our failures and/or theirs is beyond evil. That drives the majority of them to become sneaky, dishonest, and some downright evil in order to get their numbers via dishonest means and/or to project the BS from above onto their employees in order to pressure them to be dishonest in order to obtain the numbers. Sadly...... that has lead us to having a culture of liers that won't hesitate to lie, cheat, and screw others over in order to look good on a report.

I chose to be honest and I refuse to be a victim of the aforementioned butt holes (management and hourly) and won't hesitate to stand up to them and/or call them out for it. For that reason I don't lose any sleep over my job. Only dishonest and cowardly people do.
The highlighted is the focus of my reply ...
and is a huge over-simplification and painting with an extremely broad brush.
I believe more drivers than management do things that "should" bother their conscience.
However, some people worry over things that are not worth considering therefore ... "Only dishonest and cowardly people do" is not correct.
Furthermore, I would say at least 90% of those whose conscience should bother them (according" to others) rationalize their actions and behavior and they feel no guilt about them.

I believe more drivers than management do things that "should" bother their conscience.
However, some people worry over things that are not worth considering therefore ... "Only dishonest and cowardly people do" is not correct.
Furthermore, I would say at least 90% of those whose conscience should bother them (according" to others) rationalize their actions and behavior and they feel no guilt about them.
Management?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Management?
Including management and drivers and many others as well.

Overpaid Union Thug

Nowadays it's harder for drivers to get away with dishonest acts. Telematcs and GPS has assured that. We are at a point now where the center knows basically everything we do. So, if a driver is skipping all, or any, of his lunch, running up miles, cheating on NDAs, etc, they have the ability to see it all. Buuuuuuut........ no action is taken if certain drivers are involved because they produce good numbers.

On the flip side....... the same supervisors that are overlooking those infractions will fudge numbers at will on the driver's that are on the level but aren't producing the same numbers. If not they likely go after those drivers. That's where that projecting the pressure from their superiors comes into play. Harassment rides and nitpicking warning letters to build a case for suspension and/or termination. Like for missing the handrail once and not yelling UPS at each stop. And that's while totally ignoring the blatant infractions by the dishonest drivers they are covering for.

But like I said..... If people would just do what they are supposed to do then there would be nothing to worry about. Therefore......my assertion of people being dishonest or cowardly is rock solid. The dishonest people rationalize their actions however they can. The cowards are driven by fear. But neither of them are doing the right thing. The rest of us are simply making honest mistakes when we screw up. I'll take that over a lier any day.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I was discussing management employees not being able to sleep at night because of their decisions that affected drivers negatively.

You expanded it to their entire job experience.
One of the benefits of working in a building with a strong union presence is that it actually protects the management people also.
The rules are clearly defined and there are consequences for breaking them. There is less motivation for management to try and screw the drivers over because it wont work and they will get confronted. More transparency equals more professionalism and honesty.
My supervisor treats me with respect because he knows I have a strong union backing me up and I wont tolerate harassment. So when he treats me with respect, I reciprocate by treating him with respect and it leads to a much greater willingness on both sides to be cooperative and helpful.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of the benefits of working in a building with a strong union presence is that it actually protects the management people also.
The rules are clearly defined and there are consequences for breaking them. There is less motivation for management to try and screw the drivers over because it wont work and they will get confronted. More transparency equals more professionalism and honesty.
My supervisor treats me with respect because he knows I have a strong union backing me up and I wont tolerate harassment. So when he treats me with respect, I reciprocate by treating him with respect and it leads to a much greater willingness on both sides to be cooperative and helpful.

Your manager treats you with respect because you are a long time driver who has been doing it right since Day One.

8 Hour Day

RE: Management quitting & why...

We had a center manager walk out during a "meeting" a while back. It was more of a shouting match. Rumors and outright lies swirled as to why. He lives on my route, and eventually, I got to ask him why. Of course, there were many reasons, but the straw that broke the camels back for him was being told he MUST cut routes, putting every driver in the red on the hottest day of the year. He was just tired of being forced to treat people like crap.

My favorite supervisor from last year (I've had 5 in the last 12 months) recently quit to supposedly "pursue other opportunities." He told me that's partially true... took a huge pay cut to go to work elsewhere. We actually speak from time to time. He quit because he was tired of being put in the position of abusing people, lying and having no regard for integrity. I saw that decision coming a long way out... He constantly struggled with the nonsense.

Another supe took an early retirement package for the same reason. He's making 50K less, but with the retirement package, he's doing okay.

My current supe just told me he's leaving after his vacation later this month... same reasons.

Another didn't quit, but landed a position in loss prevention. Says it's like working for a different company.

I know the culture is a little different at every center, but ours seems to push out anyone in management who has any integrity.

As a driver, I just pretend there's always a video camera watching me. I don't "produce good numbers," and I don't really care. If you're following their methods, you won't produce "good numbers." I stay on paved surfaces when walking, only walk, honk at every stop, look over my shoulder when pulling from the curb, won't leave packages at the front door if it's not covered & out of site etc... It slows you down, for sure. But, knowing for a fact I've been followed at least three times this year, and KNOWING they're pulling my telematics on a regular basis, it's just job security. They know their methods trash SPORH. Once they trash your SPORH with nitpicking, it only gets worse as you comply more with the very methods they nitpick.

The supe that quit last year even called me on the weekend to warn me that I was going to be asked to defend my driving "off route" for no apparent reason. I keep even keep notes... road construction... Had to go off route.

Do the job 100% by the book, and learn your rights and responsibilities under the contract. Take notes, record phone calls, take pictures of messages in the DIAD. Once a dishonest supe realizes that screwing with you is dangerous to their own employment, they leave you the heck alone.

1Simplemann

RE: Management quitting & why...

We had a center manager walk out during a "meeting" a while back. It was more of a shouting match. Rumors and outright lies swirled as to why. He lives on my route, and eventually, I got to ask him why. Of course, there were many reasons, but the straw that broke the camels back for him was being told he MUST cut routes, putting every driver in the red on the hottest day of the year. He was just tired of being forced to treat people like crap.

My favorite supervisor from last year (I've had 5 in the last 12 months) recently quit to supposedly "pursue other opportunities." He told me that's partially true... took a huge pay cut to go to work elsewhere. We actually speak from time to time. He quit because he was tired of being put in the position of abusing people, lying and having no regard for integrity. I saw that decision coming a long way out... He constantly struggled with the nonsense.

Another supe took an early retirement package for the same reason. He's making 50K less, but with the retirement package, he's doing okay.

My current supe just told me he's leaving after his vacation later this month... same reasons.

Another didn't quit, but landed a position in loss prevention. Says it's like working for a different company.

I know the culture is a little different at every center, but ours seems to push out anyone in management who has any integrity.

As a driver, I just pretend there's always a video camera watching me. I don't "produce good numbers," and I don't really care. If you're following their methods, you won't produce "good numbers." I stay on paved surfaces when walking, only walk, honk at every stop, look over my shoulder when pulling from the curb, won't leave packages at the front door if it's not covered & out of site etc... It slows you down, for sure. But, knowing for a fact I've been followed at least three times this year, and KNOWING they're pulling my telematics on a regular basis, it's just job security. They know their methods trash SPORH. Once they trash your SPORH with nitpicking, it only gets worse as you comply more with the very methods they nitpick.

The supe that quit last year even called me on the weekend to warn me that I was going to be asked to defend my driving "off route" for no apparent reason. I keep even keep notes... road construction... Had to go off route.

Do the job 100% by the book, and learn your rights and responsibilities under the contract. Take notes, record phone calls, take pictures of messages in the DIAD. Once a dishonest supe realizes that screwing with you is dangerous to their own employment, they leave you the heck alone.
We've had the same thing. One sup quit 12/23! Here's the thing, he was a driver! He took the 7th spot in some tiny center to get his foot in the door. qualified and jumped straight into management. lasted 2 yrs tops! he could've finished out his progression and transferred to his home town easily. Said he was getting $8 hr if you actually added all the time he wasn't getting paid for. Your right, a guy has to cover his butt in this CYA age. I take pics too but i was told that is a violation of the company's privacy clause with it's customers and is a terminable offense! My BA says otherswise. Either way my sup leaves alone because he knows I'll speak my mind. It's the other new young guys that act like the Nazi's. You just shake your head and say "Really?" As for doing it 100% by the book. For me that's just not possible. i back all the time in the country. Stuff happens and you just have to back a some resi stops. If a guy want his 70lb'r in the back of his p/u then I back up to it and get'r done. i just use all the other methods and don't hit the guy. There are exceptions to every rule but telematics doesn't care. They want robots. But unfortunately for them I'm not a robot.

Overpaid Union Thug

We've had the same thing. One sup quit 12/23! Here's the thing, he was a driver! He took the 7th spot in some tiny center to get his foot in the door. qualified and jumped straight into management. lasted 2 yrs tops! he could've finished out his progression and transferred to his home town easily. Said he was getting $8 hr if you actually added all the time he wasn't getting paid for. Your right, a guy has to cover his butt in this CYA age. I take pics too but i was told that is a violation of the company's privacy clause with it's customers and is a terminable offense! My BA says otherswise. Either way my sup leaves alone because he knows I'll speak my mind. It's the other new young guys that act like the Nazi's. You just shake your head and say "Really?" As for doing it 100% by the book. For me that's just not possible. i back all the time in the country. Stuff happens and you just have to back a some resi stops. If a guy want his 70lb'r in the back of his p/u then I back up to it and get'r done. i just use all the other methods and don't hit the guy. There are exceptions to every rule but telematics doesn't care. They want robots. But unfortunately for them I'm not a robot.

We are allowed to take pics but only if our reason(s) behind doing so can be construed as "Protected Concerted Activity."

8 Hour Day

Taking pictures of the DIAD is against the rules? That's news to me (not doubting it, though). I take pictures of my ORION dispatch, training screens and messages. I take pictures of the training screens because we routinely get told to do things the DIAD training tells us not to. For example, I was confronted recently about sheeting things up "missed" and noting them as "Damaged" in the driver's remarks. This was EXACTLY according to the DIAD training a couple of months ago. So, there I am with a union steward in my Center Manager's office looking at an intent to dismiss warning letter. Awesome. I pull out my phone, show him the training screen, and ask if he's really going to give me a warning letter for obeying my training. He then tried to say he wasn't writing me up for the missed piece, but for not communicating it with my supe. So, then I produced a text message... These people are scum.

I suppose it's true you can't actually do the job 100% by the book since the book changes every month. I mean, backing into a driveway is now against the rules... as soon as miles driven is their red-button issue of the month, we'll be ordered to back at the nearest available driveway, again.

Boulevard859710

Taking pictures of the DIAD is against the rules? That's news to me (not doubting it, though). I take pictures of my ORION dispatch, training screens and messages. I take pictures of the training screens because we routinely get told to do things the DIAD training tells us not to. For example, I was confronted recently about sheeting things up "missed" and noting them as "Damaged" in the driver's remarks. This was EXACTLY according to the DIAD training a couple of months ago. So, there I am with a union steward in my Center Manager's office looking at an intent to dismiss warning letter. Awesome. I pull out my phone, show him the training screen, and ask if he's really going to give me a warning letter for obeying my training. He then tried to say he wasn't writing me up for the missed piece, but for not communicating it with my supe. So, then I produced a text message... These people are scum.

I suppose it's true you can't actually do the job 100% by the book since the book changes every month. I mean, backing into a driveway is now against the rules... as soon as miles driven is their red-button issue of the month, we'll be ordered to back at the nearest available driveway, again.
It's pathetic when you're called out for doing what the training tells you to do.