I've done it now....

Big Babooba

Trp, I know you have not been looking forward to this day for a few reasons. I believe that things are as they are meant to be. Your health is the most important and DW as well. Everything else will work out. UPS will survive without you. You have given alot. Now it's your turn. Enjoy life and HEY........... sleep once in awhile. It's good for the soul. :happy-very:
You will survive without UPS. One door is closing but another is opening. You might have to adjust, but you'll do OK. When's the party???

A heartfelt thank you to everyone for the very kind words, they are appreciated.

Curious, how old are you? I'm 34 and just getting started, Pre-loader and Air Driver. Will probably be PT for another five years before I get a full time bid. That puts me at 40 when I start driving
Up_and_at...., I am now 59.6 years old. Started with the company in '85 as a PT non-union clerk, I was 38 when I started driving in '88. All but 6 (out of the middle)of those years I have been as a FT cover driver. During that time I had three very minor injuries( sprained wrist, ankle and a bout with carpal tunnel that kept me off work for about a week) and three more serious injuries. The first one was a sciatic nerve problem that side lined me for 6 stinking months and still have occasional problems with it, it was ruled a repetitive injury. Number two was a rotator cuff injury from trying to catch a falling package (I know, not a smart thing to do...dang those cat like refelxes) another 6 months out. Then the coup de grace, the back injury happened as I was getting back into the P800 I was driving that day. I assumed the traditional 3 point stance and then added my left hand on the door to help pull myself into the PC. I felt a sharp pain in the back and the rest is downhill from there. Not suprizing I have three buldging discs that badly effect the back, thigh area both front and rear and weakens the rear thigh muscle to the point I can't walk even reasonable distances before I have to set down before I fall down. poor poor pitiful me, lol
Sorry, this is way more information than you asked for, but I said it anyway.

Thanks again for the kind words folks, I'll still be hanging around here.
and Hey...All ya'll be careful out there.

Raw

Raw Member
A heartfelt thank you to everyone for the very kind words, they are appreciated.

Up_and_at...., I am now 59.6 years old. Started with the company in '85 as a PT non-union clerk, I was 38 when I started driving in '88. All but 6 (out of the middle)of those years I have been as a FT cover driver. During that time I had three very minor injuries( sprained wrist, ankle and a bout with carpal tunnel that kept me off work for about a week) and three more serious injuries. The first one was a sciatic nerve problem that side lined me for 6 stinking months and still have occasional problems with it, it was ruled a repetitive injury. Number two was a rotator cuff injury from trying to catch a falling package (I know, not a smart thing to do...dang those cat like refelxes) another 6 months out. Then the coup de grace, the back injury happened as I was getting back into the P800 I was driving that day. I assumed the traditional 3 point stance and then added my left hand on the door to help pull myself into the PC. I felt a sharp pain in the back and the rest is downhill from there. Not suprizing I have three buldging discs that badly effect the back, thigh area both front and rear and weakens the rear thigh muscle to the point I can't walk even reasonable distances before I have to set down before I fall down. poor poor pitiful me, lol
Sorry, this is way more information than you asked for, but I said it anyway.

Thanks again for the kind words folks, I'll still be hanging around here.
and Hey...All ya'll be careful out there.
How overweight are you and do you exercise? My guess is that you didn`t take care of yourself!? :doctor:

Highwayman

Raw must be in his 20's and never had an injury. Lot's of people in "good" shape are in the grave yard. The guy wanted to work and can't. This reminds me of a Quote from a TV show; "What's wrong with you Bevis?":crazy:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

" Sticks and Stones " Come down to Florida for a visit some time! :wink2:

The man is retiring due to a career ending injury and your response is:

How overweight are you and do you exercise? My guess is that you didn`t take care of yourself!? :doctor:

I think my response and neg rep that I gave you are appropriate. Jerk.

Raw

Raw Member
Raw must be in his 20's and never had an injury. Lot's of people in "good" shape are in the grave yard. The guy wanted to work and can't. This reminds me of a Quote from a TV show; "What's wrong with you Bevis?":crazy:
I`m actually 49 and 6`3 and 195 lbs and hit the gym at least 3 days a week before work and been a driver over 22 years and not even considering retirering. :happy-very:

Raw

Raw Member
Tex wasn't considering retirement, either. An injury forced his hand.
At age 59 if you haven`t been taking care of yourself you won`t be able to do this job and will get injured. No easy ride as a UPS driver so take heed you younger drivers and get in shape!! Like Steve who is from Florida like me. You NY ers who have to hibernate 7 months of the year do to horrible weather need to get an exercise program going before it`s too late. Happy boating to those of us who are smart enough to live in a place where we can boat and play outside 12 months a year!! :wink2:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I agree with working out regular and staying in shape, especially as you get older, but you can still screw your back up at anytime regardless. I've seen it happen to a lot of guys who were in great shape physically.

upsgrunt

He's not a doctor,..............................although he plays one on BC.

Either that or he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Either way, you are out of line with that comment.

Trp,
Wishing you the best in your next endeavor.
Steve

Raw

Raw Member
I agree with working out regular and staying in shape, especially as you get older, but you can still screw your back up at anytime regardless. I've seen it happen to a lot of guys who were in great shape physically.
Agreed as was why I asked the question. Get used to it because this Obama guy you NY`ers voted for will make it mandatory you not be " out of shape" to get health care!! :peaceful:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Agreed as was why I asked the question. Get used to it because this Obama guy you NY`ers voted for will make it mandatory you not be " out of shape" to get health care!! :peaceful:
Trp is in Texas, I'm in the Old Dominion, long way from NY either way. It's actually the insurance companies under the current system who are more likely to start restricting access based on physical fitness. They are already talking about listing obesity as a pre-existing condition.