I've done it now....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Sent the retirement package in today, monday I will be an ExUPS driver. With just 21+ a few months, the money isn't that great but I had no future as a driver anyway. The Doc's don't have much hope if fixing my back to return.
The way I have it figured, at my age, I wasn't going to make 30 anyway. At least I am getting out before it's wheel chair time.

Good luck trpl ... there is life after UPS and I have faith that you will find something you like doing and find fulfilling.

D

Dis-organized Labor

Thanks for the even kinder words guys and gals. It's true that I probably should have taken better care of my self and I would have if I had thought I would live this long. I do know that most of y'all, including Raw, probably have at least one bulging disc. In fact I read somewhere in the last few months that most men and many women have bulging discs by the time they are 45-50 years old, regardless of the condition they are in. Not all disc problems are even noticed until something goes wrong.

705Red, There are a few of the customers that I will contact in the next month or so. Being a cover driver I didn't make that many friends on the areas but I did a few. Thanks for that suggestion.

Dis...Try an inversion table for loosening up your back. I hear they work pretty well. Since you're retiring, you'll just be "Hanging Around" anyway..

Now that's funny, I don't care who ya are.

Trp:
I'm serious. I have had many disc issues and I occassionally go to a Sporting Goods Store and "try one out":happy2:
I feel the separation occur throughout my spine and eventually my muscles relax and my lower back feels better for a couple of days. I almost bought one once, but I was worried about space next to my Treadmill, Gazelle, Weird articulating thing my wife bought; Weights and Bench, etc.......I have allergies because of all the dust collected on these things.... Best Regards and enjoy your retirement. Oh yeah, there is always the those Massage Parlors that will stimulate your "vital" areas.... such as your back

Trp:
I'm serious. I have had many disc issues and I occassionally go to a Sporting Goods Store and "try one out":happy2:
I feel the separation occur throughout my spine and eventually my muscles relax and my lower back feels better for a couple of days. I almost bought one once, but I was worried about space next to my Treadmill, Gazelle, Weird articulating thing my wife bought; Weights and Bench, etc.......I have allergies because of all the dust collected on these things.... Best Regards and enjoy your retirement. Oh yeah, there is always the those Massage Parlors that will stimulate your "vital" areas.... such as your back
Dis, I knew you were serious about this, it was your "delivery" that was funny and you kept it going in this post also. Kudos. I will consider your suggestion, rehab place I go to has an inversion table, but the Doc never suggested it for me to use. I'll ask him about this and see what he thinks.
I am also thinking about using Pickups pepper remedy offered up for something else in another thread. Seems it increases blood flow through the capillaries and that couldn't hurt my situation either.

trp,

First off, enjoy your retirement!

I've been off work since April with a back injury myself wresling an over weight package. So I really know what you are talking about. I have found that getting into a swimming pool and water walking really helps ease the spasms. I was blessed with the chance to attend the University of Iowa Spinal Rehab Clinic this past two weeks. I highly recommend you to contact Dr. Joseph Chen, MD and discuss your issues. This clinic is the best in the world! The pain will never go away, but they teach you how to adjust to the spasms and the proper exercises to do to strenghten your back. Personally, I'm in the pool for an hour, exercise for an hour, walk a few miles every day and exercise on an exercise ball every day,7 days a week. I'm still in pain, but it's mind over matter and work through the pain.

I hope the information I shared can help you out.

Paul
Thanks, I'm afraid Iowa is a bit far for me at this point, but if all else fails.......
The water walking is a possibility also, I'll discuss it with Doc.

Cezanne

I`m actually 49 and 6`3 and 195 lbs and hit the gym at least 3 days a week before work and been a driver over 22 years and not even considering retirering. :happy-very:
Need not worry your time is a coming. For any package car driver to work till they are 60 is a medical marvel. Even if you follow the methods, the body is slowly breaking down with age. Raw, guess what you just wait till your big one (injury) and you will would be singing a different tune. :knockedout:

I have an very strong opinion on this retirement fiasco associated with early medical or disability retirements benefits, but that is a long story in itself.:angry:

Best of luck with your retirement Triplnkl, I hope they treat you well in your retirement package. I probadly will be there soon..:happy2:

Cezanne

Please elaborate on this point either here or in a different thread. I am curious as to your opinion.
UpstateNYUPSer, Look at some of my previous threads on this site particularly before the last contract. Basically it is paying into or offering retirement benefits with no intention of the pensioner collecting the full benefit. An case in point would be those members who are where under the central states, some of them are vested in two or three pension plans, each is under a separate benefit level. (UPS Pension Plan) for part time years, (Central States prior to 2007) for the full time years and finally the new and improved (IBT/UPS pension plan ) after the Central States buyout.
Your vested time (with the company) is protected by federal ERISA law and cannot be changed, but your benefit levels are based on your times in the separate pension plans. In our area, everybody is getting a different retirement benefit based on the years they worked in that plan and when they left it.

There I go again, sorry, just can't help myself...anyway look into it and get your own opinions..... :peaceful:

raceanoncr

Trp,
Congrats on retirement. Sorry for the reason. I hope your life takes another direction that you are satisfied with. As with other posters, take care of yourself and family.
Race

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Cezanne, thank you for your reply. I was not being sarcastic in my post--I really wanted to know what your opinion was/is and, having read it, it makes a lot of sense, especially in regard to our PT employees.

Need not worry your time is a coming. For any package car driver to work till they are 60 is a medical marvel. Even if you follow the methods, the body is slowly breaking down with age. Raw, guess what you just wait till your big one (injury) and you will would be singing a different tune. :knockedout:

I have an very strong opinion on this retirement fiasco associated with early medical or disability retirements benefits, but that is a long story in itself.:angry:

Best of luck with your retirement Triplnkl, I hope they treat you well in your retirement package. I probadly will be there soon..:happy2:
Thanks for the post. Y'all don't be too rough on Raw, he is young, dumb and full of ....well, lets just say that anyone that really believes they can do the same physical work at 59 as they can at 49 are only fooling themselves. BTDT

Raw

Raw Member
Thanks for the post. Y'all don't be too rough on Raw, he is young, dumb and full of ....well, lets just say that anyone that really believes they can do the same physical work at 59 as they can at 49 are only fooling themselves. BTDT
Thanks Pop`s, I may be dumb and full of &%#!! but at 49 I`m not young!! There`s language in the contract relating to workload adjusting to age or physical ability! :peaceful:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
There`s language in the contract relating to workload adjusting to age or physical ability! :peaceful:[/QUOTE]

That's funny stuff right there!

ideliver2u67

20 Down
We all wanna go out on our own terms. 30 years and healthy. But this company seems to bo forgetting that with as much as they are pushing us, injuries are unavoidable. It kinda sucks going out like that, but I have a feeling alot of us will be. GOOD LUCK.

rod

Retired 22 years
There`s language in the contract relating to workload adjusting to age or physical ability! :peaceful:

All I know is that when I started in 1971 I was a young pup (23 yrs old) in great physical condition- but back then the heaviest package UPS would take was 50 Lbs. You also couldn't ship no more than 100 Lbs. total weight to the same address on the same day. When I retired (53 yrs old)it was 150 Lb. limit per box and no limit on how many 150 pounders you could send. I had to get out of there before they changed the rules again. I couldn't picture myself delivering pianos and elephants.:wink2:

helenofcalifornia

Yeah, like the "new" UPS is gonna do anything to lighten the load for the old timers. Everyone sees what happens to those that file the 9.5 grievances. Nothing.

And good luck in your retirement Trip! I am not too far behind you.

Thanks Pop`s, I may be dumb and full of &%#!! but at 49 I`m not young!! There`s language in the contract relating to workload adjusting to age or physical ability! :peaceful:
Geeeez and here I thought I was paying you a compliment calling you young. Being just 10 years your senior I hardly can qualify for your "Pops".
As far as the "language" in the contract, it may as well have said" Blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda". Anytime I have heard that brought up by management was when they were adjusting a guys(that is two years older) load to give to me. When I brought it up to management, they laughed.
Look Raw, I didn't come in here whining or looking for sympathy. I was just letting comrades in arms know that my retirement was coming quicker than I had originally anticipated....and why. I hope you can continue to work at your full capacity as long as you please, unfortunately there are many that will not get to do that.
A quick side story. In my years at UPS I have seen more drivers under the age of 35 with well maintained bodies recieve career ending injuries than I have seen 25-30 year retirees. One of those guys could have bench pressed YOU, with no problem, but now he can hardly walk across the street. Regardless of the attempts to keep in shape, people get hurt even using proper work methods.

EmerCond421

Good Luck trp! Sorry it had to end this way. Hopefully you will soon be able to do most everything you use to - you never know, with all these new treatments, something may be in the wind.
(hangin' on 5 more years for 25 @60.)